Mantus "digger" anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncleg44

Veteran Member
Outfitting new build GHTT35. Does anyone have direct experience with Mantus anchor? Online reviews have been very favorable, but I'd be interested in hearing from someone with firsthand experience.
Thanks

See Steve G’s Anchor Setting Videos.

I have been using one for 5 years, once around the "loop" and two trips to the Bahamas. It has been rock solid. I am a very satisfied customer.

Rafe

Sent you a PM rather than starting AFAT (another frigging anchor thread) :)

I've got the 105# Mantus anchor. Best one ever. There is no doubt when this baby sets, and I have never dragged. They are a bit odd looking though.

Cheers, Bill

Oh no say it ain't so!!!! Another anchor thread...LOL:popcorn:

Outfitting new build GHTT35. Does anyone have direct experience with Mantus anchor? Online reviews have been very favorable, but I'd be interested in hearing from someone with firsthand experience.
Thanks

Not sure what a GHTT35 is, but I do have a Mantus anchor, and LOVE it. I had a Delta anchor of some sort before and hated the thing. Took multiple attempts to set, would drag on occasion, never trusted it.

Got a 65lb Mantus and it has set the first time, every time, and we have never dragged.

Might have saved my marriage as the stress the other anchor caused wasn't good for our relationship. :)

They are a bit odd looking though.

And that should never even be a consideration for mission critical items onboard.

If our supreme didn't fit I would have taken to the boat with a saw until it did.

Sent you a PM rather than starting AFAT (another frigging anchor thread) :)

Why not keep it in the forum where everyone can discuss? Those who don't want to be bothered with AFAT, don't have to participate.

Mantus Anchors and Digger Anchors are two completely different things to my knowledge.

Does Mantus have a new model? I couldn't find it anywhere. Only the standard rollbar model that is bolted together.

I have a Rocna. The Mantus looks, well, cheap with the bolt assembly....

Sea-Duction,
Whaddya try'in to do deep six what dosn't appeal to you?
There's other threads that may.

Why not keep it in the forum where everyone can discuss? Those who don't want to be bothered with AFAT, don't have to participate.

Shrew,
They think it's funny.
Or they want to post and can't think of anything meaningful to say.
Or they don't like the product being discussed.

I have a Rocna. The Mantus looks, well, cheap with the bolt assembly....

I would imagine the bolt together anchor would require more attention to clearances and perhaps machining that would make it more expensive and not cheap. Just picking pup a stinger and zapping a weld on it is much easier and cheaper.

Looks and reality are not always the same. Sometimes new things styles are better. I have both a Mantus and Rocna anchor and feel both are very good. I like that the Mantus can be stored in the bilge disassembled and not take up so much room.

Thank you to those who have responded with direct experience with Mantus. I'm favoring Mantus at this time; your comments have aided my decision. Mantus it is.

Sea-Duction,
Whaddya try'in to do deep six what dosn't appeal to you?
There's other threads that may.

I would imagine the bolt together anchor would require more attention to clearances and perhaps machining that would make it more expensive and not cheap. Just picking pup a stinger and zapping a weld on it is much easier and cheaper.

Come on Eric smile, it OK.....Let's have fun and not be so serious.....:angel::thumb:

The Mantus looks, well, cheap with the bolt assembly....

It’s not. Take a look at the stats on those bolts.

We’ve used a Mantus 85# for several years. Only once did it not set the first time. It’s never drug and never failed to hold after a 180 degree tide or wind change. We would never consider using anything else.

Serious? Me? You’ve gotta be joking.
Oh I forgot that’s what you do.

It was funny the first 50 times but that post has probably been done 500 times.
Upgrade your humor.
I’m pick’in on you but there are many others I could’a picked on .. Sorry.

From memory the Mantus was one of 3 which set and reset well on Steve`s SV Panope very objective testing. One other was a Sarca,and the other a Manson I think. Worth spending time finding and reviewing Steve`s tests if you are planning on buying, the work has already been done for you.

Anchor Data

One of many tests, I bought 65# Mantus.

Attachments

• anchoravgload.jpg
    anchoravgload.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 109
S and Z,
It’s sorta criminal to post that w/o any information about who performed the test or where and when it happened. With a strange stack up of performance numbers some explaination would seem necessary. Lots of people still think the Rocna is the best anchor in the world and your test lists it as the lowest performer. Most will think your posted test is invalad on that score alone. For openers what kind of bottom was the test staged on/in?

Last edited:
Serious? Me? You’ve gotta be joking.
Oh I forgot that’s what you do.

It was funny the first 50 times but that post has probably been done 500 times.
Upgrade your humor.
I’m pick’in on you but there are many others I could’a picked on .. Sorry.

Love ya man!!!!:D

No you can't have my Bud! No dilly Dilly.....:dance:

The area you are anchoring has more to do with the type of anchor versus brand.....

S and Z,
It’s sorta criminal to post that w/o any information about who performed the test or where and when it happened. With a strange stack up of performance numbers some explanation would seem necessary. Lots of people still think the Rocna is the best anchor in the world and your test lists it as the lowest performer. Most will think your posted test is invalid on that score alone. For openers what kind of bottom was the test staged on/in?
Not sure about the criminality Eric, but yes, an unexpected unexplained tabling. In the Steve/SV Panope tests I don`t think Fortress performed so well or Rocna so poorly. His were tests with no bias, and with photographic evidence of each aspect of performance of each anchor. The failure of some to reset properly, promptly, or at all, was disturbing for those anchoring overnight expecting wind or tide reversals leading to a likely reset while asleep.

One of my good friend who is an very experienced mariner ( and when I say very I mean really very experienced ) told me one day that the anchor does not matter so much but what is important is the size, length and weight of the chain you put down there. Any comment on this?
:popcorn:

One of my good friend who is an very experienced mariner ( and when I say very I mean really very experienced ) told me one day that the anchor does not matter so much but what is important is the size, length and weight of the chain you put down there. Any comment on this?
:popcorn:
Lou that must be to a degree,you fare better with chain than just line. A catenary weight, or an Anchor Buddy, can help. But I think it`s just part of a total mosaic, right scope, setting technique, some good fortune,and a good holding bottom.Maybe there is even an element of " the black arts" in anchoring. I would not exclude the anchor itself,Steve`s tests showed some scary differences in performance, but it`s far from being the whole story, despite being easy to focus on.

And hey, in Panope Steve's tests, the nearest yet to real life anchoring situations, my l'il ol' Super Sarca was one of the best, and if you think the Mantus looks odd, remind yourselves just how the S-Sarca looks. It's agricultural, but I love it..!

Attachments

• IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 77
Steve’s tests wern’t very typical at all as “real life anchoring situations”.
But his intent was to learn about setting .. not holding power.

Most of the anchors he tested were way too big for any real holding power as they were mostly in the 40lb range. He only has 40hp. With 20lb anchors ...... but Steve made little claim to holding power evaluation. It was a setting test. But since most of the anchors were about the same size his ultra short scope tests were wonderful and very valid. Before Steve everybody thought you would die if you used 3-1 or less scope. Not to survive a hurrycane to be sure but he made it clear there is lots of holding power at 2-1.

And re holding power a lot of “relative” learning was had. Comparing one anchor to the same test made it clear what anchor set best and the whole effort was to evaluate setting performance. And a strong case can be made that setting performance is more important than all out holding power. When he said “I just couldn’t make this anchor fail” after going back and forth at 3 knots was amazing. Not so much a “real life anchoring situation” but a very revealing test. The “real life part” was watching the anchors do their thing. The biggest takeaway IMO was to see anchors breaking out tail first. I always envisioned anchors breaking out shank and fluke first w the shank and fluke pointing straight at the boat and rode. The back of the anchor fliping up out of the sea floor was totally unexpected to me. My XYZ has such a big tail I don’t think it could do that.

I sure miss Steve’s vids and comments.

Last edited:
Moved from "General Discussion" to "Anchors and Anchoring"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom