For Folks In The PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Re: Post #29. Evidently, sometime this summer you will also be able to get ganga in Ganges....Just sayin'

Saltspring Is where Ganges is located has an interesting history regarding MJ, hippies from long ago and local growers. But as you point out RT, what was happening will now be "legal".

Keith, any history to share?

Just to be clear, while BC may allow recreational use of Cannabis starting this July, last I knew they will not tolerate the importation of marijuana for personal use. So I would still be respectful of CA laws and leave the cannabis at home. If you need to use it, then you should be able to purchase it BC sometime this summer.

When I was young we called it "BC Bud"...

My experience is similar to others when crossing in to Canada. When asked how much booze we have on board I ask them if they want all of it or just the unopend ones and mention that it is ship's stores (I have a detailed list with me). So far they have always moved on to the next item. Be nice and they they generally get you through as quickly as possible. Be an idiot and they can make your day miserable.

Marty..........................

Saltspring Is where Ganges is located has an interesting history regarding MJ, hippies from long ago and local growers. But as you point out RT, what was happening will now be "legal".

Keith, any history to share?

We do have some residents who came here long ago as "hippies" and stayed for good. I doubt their habits have altered re the use of mj.

I have noted the distinctive odor of mj in public places from time to time, but no more than in more urban communities.

As for alcohol and border crossing, on returning from the BVI with a case of Pussers Rum, the duty and taxes brought the net cost up to exactly what I could have bought it for in the BC Liquor store. Buy it here and save the hassle.

As for alcohol and border crossing, on returning from the BVI with a case of Pussers Rum, the duty and taxes brought the net cost up to exactly what I could have bought it for in the BC Liquor store. Buy it here and save the hassle.

The trouble people will go to though. When Coors wasn't available in NC, I know every time anyone went to Texas by company plane, people wanted cases of it brought back to them. Sorry, I am not going to lug cases of beer around.

However, on your rum story. We had facilities in Puerto Rico and everyone who flew there felt they had to bring back pineapples and rum. Once I was on the company plane and another passenger had 36 pineapples with her. Now, flying commercial, people were carrying bottles of rum home in their suitcases. Anyone see chances of disaster? One fellow employee did have a bottle break. After your suitcase and all clothes are saturated in rum for 6 hours or so, not good. Just the one suede sport coat he lost, he'd paid $500 for. I think he estimated his total loss at around $1500 but he saved on the rum...well, except he lost it too.

The cost of booze in Canada is an irritation but the premium over US prices is a cost of cruising in their waters, like the higher cost of fuel.. The best policy is to just be honest with them. We as Americans are fortunate to have a beautiful place like BC nearby to run our boats.:thumb:

I don't think anyone here is advocating lying to Canadian Customs. But there are some processes that can help you or hurt you.

Liquor is expensive in Canada. Fuel, not bad depending where you buy it. We fuel up at Port McNeil. So long as the exchange rate is reasonable for Americans we will keep coming. Even if it isn't we will still come we just won't buy as much.

The cost of booze in Canada is an irritation but the premium over US prices is a cost of cruising in their waters, like the higher cost of fuel.. The best policy is to just be honest with them. We as Americans are fortunate to have a beautiful place like BC nearby to run our boats.:thumb:

Wifey B: A bit like people in FL complaining about the Bahamas costs. How lucky we are to be able to just run across and enjoy. :D

I have found good craft beer hard to find, this year ill probably focus my exemption on Alaska Amber.:);)

Try the private liquor stores. They tend to have better selection than the government stores, and there's certainly a lot of good beer being made around BC.

And some great ciders as well...

Try the private liquor stores. They tend to have better selection than the government stores, and there's certainly a lot of good beer being made around BC.

And some great ciders as well...

Certainly agree as to the ciders from the Okanogan!! Still looking for a medium hoppy red ale.

Bedwell Harbor--I had no problem with alcohol--more than the required individual allotment. I did have about a 30 minute inspection by two customs officials--we had to be off the boat.

They found two apples. Gave me two choices
1-throw the apples away right there
2-keep the apples, fill out some papers and upon my return to Canada from Alaska I would have to produce those two apple cores.

Thought that was a little funny but apples stayed at Bedwell.

Certainly agree as to the ciders from the Okanogan!! Still looking for a medium hoppy red ale.

Depends on the size of the store you find.

Some venues, like Refuge Cove, can run short of your favourite and you will need to go elsewhere or wait till the next shipment arrives. They still may not have your particular favourite, though they try hard to stock some of everything that their customers tell them they want.

Other venues, like Ganges, have lots of selection. You need to look past the bulk beers stacked on the floor. Find the shelf of specialties. Enough there to keep you interested all year long.

Try to find some Hop Yard Red by Persephone, out of Gibsons. Their operation there is worth a visit too.

Thanks,

Ive always passed Gibsons, but this must be the year.

Bar stock, open bottles

Let me rephrase the post, Has anyone brought in more liquor than the allowed amount but declared it at the border check and paid the tax, or has anyone waited to purchase liquor at a duty-free liquor store in BC?

We had 4 open bottles of "bar stock", rum, vodka, gin,whiskey. We declared and were sent on through. No fine, no fees. We were very clear to say "open bottles"

Has anyone used a duty free store to purchase liquor for the boat? If so where, and how did you do it?
Thanks JD

Ok I have had first hand experience with the "Ship Stores" thing. First year we crossed into Canada, I gave them a listing of every drop of adult beverages and cigars.

Based on the advice from a very good Canadian I now do this and have not had any issues (Kind of).

I am a NEXUS card holder.

When I call in to Canadian customs I tell them what I have on board. Last year it was five 5ths of scotch, 5 gallon jugs of scotch, 3 bottles of Pendleton (so my buddy Crusty would have something to drink), 18 bottles of wine and 100 cigars.

Then I state this is ALL SHIP STORES AND FOR PRIVATE USE ONLY!!

Most of the time I pass through customs with no issues, unless you get a customs person from Ottawa. The don't know where the west coast of BC is let alone anything else.

Last summer, as I was crossing Dixon entrance heading south, I got a very young customs official. I think he was still on a sippy cup.

I told him the above and he started the "drill" with me. So here is how it went down:

CC: Sir, where was the wine made and the cost of each bottle?
Me: Most of the wine is from Oregon and Washington and cost on average about $12.
CC: Really $12? It wasn't more?
Me: OK, $20
CC: You have how much scotch?
Me: Enough to get through Canada. five-5ths and 5 gal jugs.
CC: Where was the scotch made?
Me: Huh, where was it made?
CC: Yes sir.
Me: (in my scotchish voice) It was made in Scotland lass. No one else knows how to make scotch!!
CC: Excuse me sir? You do know you will have to pay duty, right?

I then asked: You are aware this is ALL SHIP STORES AND FOR PRIVATE USE ONLY?

CC: Please hold

A few minutes later:

CC: I apologize sir, here is your customs number. Have a great day!!:D:dance:

Thanks for the advice, since i still have a dozen bottles of scotch from my Scotland trip.

Thanks for the advice, since i still have a dozen bottles of scotch from my Scotland trip.

You are most welcome!!! LOL

To bad you are not on the west coast!!!

Last edited:
Some venues, like Refuge Cove, can run short of your favourite and you will need to go elsewhere or wait till the next shipment arrives. ....

Fortunately, I'm not that particular/discriminating.

Has anyone used a duty free store to purchase liquor for the boat? If so where, and how did you do it?
Thanks JD

I haven't. They're only going to be found at land border crossings. Of course, they're at YVR, too, but you'd have to be a ticketed passenger going someplace.

I guess you could pull into White Rock and take a taxi over to the Peace Arch. Would it be worth it? Maybe if you were to buy a case or something....

We do regularly buy booze at the duty free. Some real savings available.

Persephone is a hop farm that makes beer. If you like hops, that’s your brew. It is also readily available in the government rip stores.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom