Boatlife Lifeseal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Has anyone used this?

I spoke to someone at Beneteau USA and they recommended that for the hull to deck seal, which is purely cosmetic, I use mold-resistant kitchen and bath silicone caulk. GE has one that says it is resistant to mold for 10 years.

However, in my research I also came across a product called Boatlife Lifeseal, but I know nothing about it. People seem to like it but I can't find anything related to whether or not it is mold resistant.

If anyone is familiar with it, please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Mike

Here is a quote copied right from the Lifeseal website: "Mildew resistant and acid free"

Here is a quote copied right from the Lifeseal website: "Mildew resistant and acid free"

DOH! I honestly don't know how I missed that. Thanks!

If anyone has actually used it, please let me know what you thought in terms of ease of application, longevity, etc.

Appreciate it.

I used to use it all the time. Had some issues with it getting dirty and would not clean up as well as I liked. Switched to Sika and have been happy with it.

I used to use it all the time. Had some issues with it getting dirty and would not clean up as well as I liked. Switched to Sika and have been happy with it.

Thanks, just curious, which Sika caulk do you use now?

Has anyone used this?

I spoke to someone at Beneteau USA and they recommended that for the hull to deck seal, which is purely cosmetic, I use mold-resistant kitchen and bath silicone caulk. GE has one that says it is resistant to mold for 10 years.

However, in my research I also came across a product called Boatlife Lifeseal, but I know nothing about it. People seem to like it but I can't find anything related to whether or not it is mold resistant.

If anyone is familiar with it, please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Mike
Silicon? Please Mr RTF chime in !!!

L

Silicon? Please Mr RTF chime in !!!

L

My boat is strictly a SILICONE FREE ZONE. Yours should be too.
Silicone is for interior use only, as far from your boat as possible. When it fails, it does so in a way that holds the water against whatever you were trying to keep dry.
It took me several years to rid my boat of silicone used by the PO.
Then I bought a Motorhome and found the exact same issue there. Horrors follow the use of silicone on boats and Motorhomes.
Thanks, I feel better now.

My boat is strictly a SILICONE FREE ZONE. Yours should be too.
Silicone is for interior use only, as far from your boat as possible. When it fails, it does so in a way that holds the water against whatever you were trying to keep dry.
It took me several years to rid my boat of silicone used by the PO.
Then I bought a Motorhome and found the exact same issue there. Horrors follow the use of silicone on boats and Motorhomes.
Thanks, I feel better now.

Thanks for the tip!

I have been using the Sika 291.

DO NOT use silicone. On anything on a boat except plexiglass or acrylics. If you use it on fiberglass, be prepared to sand it off because it will leave a residue that there is no chemical method of removal known. You have to scrape it off and then sand the gel coat down until the residue is gone.

I used to use Boatlife caulk but found that it took far too long to harden and cleanliness issues.

I now use either UV4000 (for exposed areas) 4200 for most others and 5200 where required.

4000 is awesome and doesn't yellow.

Ken

I used to use Boatlife caulk but found that it took far too long to harden and cleanliness issues.

I now use either UV4000 (for exposed areas) 4200 for most others and 5200 where required.

4000 is awesome and doesn't yellow.

Ken

Which Boatlife product specifically did you use? The LifeCalk, LifeSeal or their Silicon?

Which Boatlife product specifically did you use? The LifeCalk, LifeSeal or their Silicon?

At various times I have used Boatlife and LifeSeal. BoatLife is a polysulfide caulk. LifeSeal is a Silicone and urethane blend. The LifeSeal actually worked ok, but it did mildew and I wanted to totally get away from anything with silicone in it. The BoatLife was just too messy and took far too long to cure. 4000 and 4200 work much better for me.

Ken

I'll second 3m products.

4000 (UV Resistant). Any place that is in direct sunlight.
4200 Anywhere not in direct sunlight
5200 Anything I don't ever plan on removing again.

Technically it's easier to just buy and stock 4000, it's just UV safe 4200 anyway.

FWIW, I've had good success with LifeCaulk over the years.

Hull to deck joint purely cosmetic? To me that’s a pretty critical joint. If it’s leaking you’ve got a problem that’s going to be difficult to correct. Just squirting silicone on it won’t work. This sounds like a job for 5200 unless you plan to pull the deck off the hull at some future date.

Hull to deck joint purely cosmetic? To me that’s a pretty critical joint. If it’s leaking you’ve got a problem that’s going to be difficult to correct. Just squirting silicone on it won’t work. This sounds like a job for 5200 unless you plan to pull the deck off the hull at some future date.

Good point. Any boat that I've owned has the hull and deck joint both screwed together as well as joined with 5200. My understanding was that the 5200 provides most of the actual strength of the joint.

It's definitely cosmetic only. I had a Beneteau "tech" on the boat and he said that this caulking along the seam was cosmetic only and that they used Sika 501 or something that was prone to mold and mildew. He said they've given the folks in France this feedback for years but they still, for whatever reason, insist on using it.

I personally can't find much on the internet about 501.

Lastly, I don't have any leaks at all. Just want to replace due to the mold.

It's definitely cosmetic only. I had a Beneteau "tech" on the boat and he said that this caulking along the seam was cosmetic only and that they used Sika 501 or something that was prone to mold and mildew. He said they've given the folks in France this feedback for years but they still, for whatever reason, insist on using it.

I personally can't find much on the internet about 501.

Lastly, I don't have any leaks at all. Just want to replace due to the mold.

Beneteau also uses DZR brass thru-hulls. I wouldn’t take their word on what’s critical. If the hull to deck joint is leaking, the boat is not likely to come apart but it is an indication of sloppy workmanship and it will be difficult to fix.

Beneteau also uses DZR brass thru-hulls. I wouldn’t take their word on what’s critical. If the hull to deck joint is leaking, the boat is not likely to come apart but it is an indication of sloppy workmanship and it will be difficult to fix.

I agree, although as I mentioned, my joint is not leaking.

Back
Top Bottom