Teak Deck Caulk Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Got a few very small areas where the caulk is failing (either splitting or pulling slightly away from the teak). I know the traditional way to repair is to remove all the old caulk, clean, rub with acetone, then re-caulk.

However, does anyone know of a good product that will bond to the existing caulk and teak and doesn't require all of the above?

Trying to avoid the hassle for some small areas.

Thanks,
Mike

I think that trying to repair failing caulk is a no win situation. I would remove the old caulk and replace. TDS is apparently the way to go. I have to recaulk my sundeck teak and I am going to use their products. Don’t forget to tape the bottom of the joint first.

. Don’t forget to tape the bottom of the joint first.

Use a "Bond breaker" in the bottom of the joint. That will allow the wood to move without tearing the black Goop from the sides of the joint

I just ordered one tube of teak decking systems black .I was going to try and fix a leak around my Sampson post. are there any tricks to that?

I just ordered one tube of teak decking systems black .I was going to try and fix a leak around my Sampson post. are there any tricks to that?

Not really, just clean the old surfaces, tape the areas you don’t want the caulk to go. Before caulking, wipe the surface (s) with acetone or use a chip brush and go at it. When apply the TDS with your caulking gun, go slowly so you don’t trap any air or you may have air bubbles.

Got a few very small areas where the caulk is failing (either splitting or pulling slightly away from the teak). I know the traditional way to repair is to remove all the old caulk, clean, rub with acetone, then re-caulk.

However, does anyone know of a good product that will bond to the existing caulk and teak and doesn't require all of the above?

Trying to avoid the hassle for some small areas.

Thanks,
Mike

We’ve done several repairs on Hobo over the years. I use an exacto knife to cut a clean edge at the old caulk. Remove the old caulk, clean the seam, wipe/brush with acetone and tape the area. Apply the caulk and use a putty knife to smooth the top and pull the tape. I think I did this area maybe 8 years ago.

Attachments

• 24C054FD-B0DF-4BCF-81E1-B25A1400A29D.jpg
    24C054FD-B0DF-4BCF-81E1-B25A1400A29D.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 118
I use a caulk cutting gun if I am doing a large area, then I scrape the grooves with a bent screwdriver. Then I scuff the groove sides with a sanding belt.
If only doing small repairs I skip the caulk cutter and just use the bent screwdriver and belt.
Then clean with acetone.
When I flatten the caulk I put a small notch in a plastic squeegee (like the kind used for Bondo) or in a piece of cardboard and that will leave a small hump in the caulk. This makes it stand slightly proud f the deck for good non skid properties.
Don't leave the masking tape on too long or it will pull the caulk back out.

Attachments

• IMG_7723.jpg
    IMG_7723.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 111
+1 on the hot knife. Also best to go for the real fix versus the pain of chasing leaks.

I found this very helpful as I'm doing the same thing now as well

And a couple of tips when caulking:

• Have a couple of pairs of disposable gloves handy and wear them -
  • Be aware that the caulking has magical properties - it can leap onto areas where your not working
  • when taping the edges of the seams fold a short section over on itself that will stick up to become a handle to grab when pulling the tape so you don`t touch the deck with your caulking covered gloves.
  • as soon as you have smoothed the caulking, pull the tape - it will tear the edge otherwise because the thin edge goes off quickly
  • as you pull the tape, roll it into a ball and put it into a plastic bag or cardboard box - this minimises having a long piece of caulking covered tape flapping around and touching areas you don`t want. Your gloves will be covered in caulking but no problem as you can pick up the next tape by using the "handle"
  • Acetone is your friend for clean ups.
All the above learnt the hard way

And a couple of tips when caulking:

• Have a couple of pairs of disposable gloves handy and wear them -
  • Be aware that the caulking has magical properties - it can leap onto areas where your not working
  • when taping the edges of the seams fold a short section over on itself that will stick up to become a handle to grab when pulling the tape so you don`t touch the deck with your caulking covered gloves.
  • as soon as you have smoothed the caulking, pull the tape - it will tear the edge otherwise because the thin edge goes off quickly
  • as you pull the tape, roll it into a ball and put it into a plastic bag or cardboard box - this minimises having a long piece of caulking covered tape flapping around and touching areas you don`t want. Your gloves will be covered in caulking but no problem as you can pick up the next tape by using the "handle"
  • Acetone is your friend for clean ups.
All the above learnt the hard way

Agree with all of this

Agree with all of this

I third this and agree with the guys above the Teak systems caulk for repairs is great fix to hold you over for a while

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom