Boarded by Coast Guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were boarded by the coast guard only once. We were 15 miles offshore in the Atlantic in a storm with a onboard fire. As for mysel I was happy to see them.

Yea, bet you were happy to see them.
You called for assistance?
You were able to save the boat?

Is that Colregs or this: USCG NAVIGATION RULES AND REGULATIONS HANDBOOK

The Handbook contains the Navigation Rules Inland/International

Would an electronic copy suffice?

For some documents, yes. For the Colregs, no. It must be a ready reference. But don't take MY word for it.... From the NAVCEN FAQ list:
Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circular No. 01-16 announced the following electronic publications are acceptable:
  • U.S. Coast Pilot,
  • Sailing Directions,
  • Coast Guard Light List,
  • List of Lights,
  • tide-current and river-current tables,
  • Notice to Mariners,
  • Local Notice to Mariners,
  • Notices to Navigation, and
  • Vessel Traffic Services Rules.
Paper copies of certain publications are still required, including those not specifically listed in NVIC 01-16. Some examples are:

• Inland Rules (domestic regulation),
  • International Code of Signals and Volume (SOLAS requirement), and
  • Volume III of the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual (SOLAS requirement)
These publications are required in hard-copy because meeting the access and "ready reference" requirements may be challenging for many electronic devices.
Simple answers aren't in style when it comes to bureaucratic requirements!

There's no requirement to have Chart No. 1 aboard. There is, however a requirement to carry on board a copy of the current colregs:
Per 33 CFR 83.01(g), the operator of each self-propelled vessel 12 meters or more in length shall carry, on board and maintain for ready reference, a copy of the Rules.

Looking at 33 CFR 83 as cited above, I'd read it that the operator needs to carry a copy of 33 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter E - INLAND NAVIGATION RULES (those being "the Rules"), not the Colregs.

A BOATER’S GUIDE TO THE FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RECREATIONAL BOATS -- which I believe is a CG pub, or at least hosted on the CG Boating Safety Division site -- also specifies "Inland Only".

I'm bored and pedantic today.

Just to confuse y'all a bit, in CT you will receive a different color "state registration" sticker if your boat is documented than if it is not. Ha.

What's the point?
Boiling frog is cooked.
Theyll be barcoding your forehead and inserting sattelite tracking chips up your rectum soon all for "your safety" and they know there will be no objection.

Just exactly what is the CG guarding?
The original intent had nothing absolutely nothing to do with boating safety, Y valves or state stickers! And it has been pointed out numerous times that it was long ago in far different times. It should never have been expanded in the first place and never have been allowed to become an issue that goes against the grain of the Constitution and individual liberty. Its as wrong as wrong can be and all that pap about bigger guns and "our safety" is just that, drivel and pap for the masses. It is what it is, but we don't have to like it and make excuses for it like mindless sheeple.

Boiling frog is cooked.
Theyll be barcoding your forehead and inserting sattelite tracking chips up your rectum soon all for "your safety" and they know there will be no objection.
With that attitude you will attract lots more LEO attention and negative interactions than those presenting as mainstream citizens who 99.999% of the time just slide under the radar, nothing to see here.

If you think the trends of the last hundred years are going to start reversing themselves b obstreperous individuals getting all confrontational, well, good luck with that.

With that attitude you will attract lots more LEO attention and negative interactions than those presenting as mainstream citizens who 99.999% of the time just slide under the radar, nothing to see here.

If you think the trends of the last hundred years are going to start reversing themselves b obstreperous individuals getting all confrontational, well, good luck with that.

And what attitude is that exactly?
Never been in a punch up or been in trouble with the cops in my 50 years on this planet.
Never allowed myself to be pushed around or lost my personal freedoms or privacy either.
Clearly I am doing something right.

If you blindly accept armed military boarding and entering into what for me is my home, with no real reason but to have a sticky beak, your freedom and privacy is severely compromised..

Last edited:
frogs, stickers and rubber gloves. So, my rule stands. any thread over 5 pages is for entertainment value.;)

Liberty and freedom once lost is almost if not impossible to get back

Looking at 33 CFR 83 as cited above, I'd read it that the operator needs to carry a copy of 33 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter E - INLAND NAVIGATION RULES (those being "the Rules"), not the Colregs.

A BOATER’S GUIDE TO THE FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RECREATIONAL BOATS -- which I believe is a CG pub, or at least hosted on the CG Boating Safety Division site -- also specifies "Inland Only".

I'm bored and pedantic today.

Boredom notwithstanding, you are correct. :thumb:

Just to confuse y'all a bit, in CT you will receive a different color "state registration" sticker if your boat is documented than if it is not. Ha.

Wow! In Alaska, if you are documented, no sticker or registration fees.:thumb:

You all need to get your legislatures to stop robbing you....:dance::D

NAVCENT doesn’t count

For some documents, yes. For the Colregs, no. It must be a ready reference. But don't take MY word for it.... From the NAVCEN FAQ list:
Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circular No. 01-16 announced the following electronic publications are acceptable:
  • U.S. Coast Pilot,
  • Sailing Directions,
  • Coast Guard Light List,
  • List of Lights,
  • tide-current and river-current tables,
  • Notice to Mariners,
  • Local Notice to Mariners,
  • Notices to Navigation, and
  • Vessel Traffic Services Rules.
Paper copies of certain publications are still required, including those not specifically listed in NVIC 01-16. Some examples are:

• Inland Rules (domestic regulation),
  • International Code of Signals and Volume (SOLAS requirement), and
  • Volume III of the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual (SOLAS requirement)
These publications are required in hard-copy because meeting the access and "ready reference" requirements may be challenging for many electronic devices.
Simple answers aren't in style when it comes to bureaucratic requirements!

I am not in the navy and am not required to follow a Navy regulations. Federal law yes, naval regulations no.

Wow! In Alaska, if you are documented, no sticker or registration fees.:thumb:

You all need to get your legislatures to stop robbing you....:dance::D

Same here in California. Please don't bring this exemption from state registration to the attention of the governor or legislature.

Uscg????

Attachments

• 31073022_10156273107690396_7374196746852761600_n.jpg
    31073022_10156273107690396_7374196746852761600_n.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 53
When being boarded, what kind of anchor do the Coasties comment on the most?

My boat is documented and is docked in FL with a home port in GA.
I am not about to ask GA if I still need anything displayed other than the name and home port. I dont want their grubby little hands reaching into my wallet.
When the locals point out, I do not display a GA or FL number, I tell them, a documented does not need those numbers. I dont have a FL tax decal because I am home ported in GA. They seem to accept this explanation. If am wrong, dont tell me. I rather bask in my ignorance. LOL IF proven wrong, by someone in authority, I will reluctantly correct the situation, pleading ignorance.
PLEASE do not tell me I am wrong. And I hope you will not turn me in. LOL

Last edited:
My boat is documented and is docked in FL with a home port in GA. I am not about to ask GA if I still need anything displayed other than the name and home port. I dont want their grubby little hands reaching into my wallet. When the locals point out, I do not display a GA or FL number, I tell them, a documented does not need those numbers. I dont have a FL tax decal because I am home ported in GA.

A documented vessel must be registered in Florida, if used on Florida waters for longer than 90 days. In other words, you need to pay a registration fee if you dock your boat in FL for 91 days. Stiffing FL for the fees is a misdemeanor and not something I would be proud of.

A documented vessel must be registered in Florida, if used on Florida waters for longer than 90 days. In other words, you need to pay a registration fee if you dock your boat in FL for 91 days. Stiffing FL for the fees is a misdemeanor and not something I would be proud of.

I told you, not to tell me.
FL would make a killing in this marina.
Seldom do the big boats move and they are not registered in FL

Last edited:

:thumb: Hobo’s documented out side of Florida but is state registered since she spend more than 90 days a year there. Why mess around?

It nots cheap though, it’s practiclly free. She’s more than 30 years old and registered as an antique so we pay only $4.25/year. :D

Sure...its only $4.25 now, but its the "gummint" !!!! If you agree to $4.25 this year, they'll make it $4.50 next year!!! THEY'RE GOING TO BOIL THE FROG !!! You need to get that payment back, and get two big flags to fly off your bridge. First a "Don't Tread on Me" flag ( the bigger the better !!) and on the other side a flag that says "Remember Ruby Ridge ( or Waco, your choice )!! And then, just to let them know you are serious, you should get a gun rack and hang a few AR-15's in plain view. And if anyone knocks on your door, just yell " I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!" and don't let them in.

I just saved you $4.25. You're welcome !

PS

Did you get a documentation sticker ?

No, what’s that? Am is suppose to have one? :rofl:

Yup, stuck it to my forehead so all can see. :angel:
Got one of those tattoo on my butt so they can quickly scan it and ID me.
I wear a collar with my ID tag on it too.
A cop asks me, how I am, I will give him all the ID I have in my wallet in hopes they can find the assisted home from which I wandered away.

What ID I am supposed to have and what ID I do have are not even closely related. Think they will accept, "It's in the mail"?
This message will self-destruct in 3 days, if I can find it again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom