Old 04-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #53
Wayfarer
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Do not believe that nearly half of "trawler" owners live on their boats. By the way, liveaboards in California are limited to 10 percent of marina berths, and there aren't that many permanent anchor-outs.
If all goes according to plan, I'd be a liveaboard as far as I was concerned, but would hopefully be on the move enough to be a transient in the eyes of any marinas I'd be stopping at. I love the idea of changing the view frequently. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Coot 38. I didn't realized they'd come out with a bigger one. They're nice, but since they're all still fairly new, they're still a bit to steep for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
There is the third reason - income.

While we are managing just fine on the income we purchased over the years, the extra income in rent could come in handy for our upcoming plans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
What I do know is that we both agree that our home represents a sizable apreciating asset. Neither of us are willing to risk that asset, to buy a larger more comfortable boat.

We both recognize that at some point almost all boaters retire from boating. We feel that we need the financial security that a land based home provides. When we retire from boating the boat will be worth a fraction of what we paid for it, while our home is now worth several times what we paid for it decades ago. That home value provides us options in our elderly years that just owning a boat would not provide.
My thought process has been that the equity I have in my home would significantly reduce the amount of boat I would end up financing. I've had something of an aversion to renting my place out, but the more I think about it, the less I dislike the possibility. If only to make sure I have a plan B for a while.

Quote:
I could be happy as a liveaboard. Having spent my adult life aquiring a home, and possessions, I can see real tranquility in not having to deal with and yes pay to insure and maintain a lifetimes worth of stuff. I do not think I am alone in sometimes thinking I am tied down by our possessions.
You are most certainly NOT alone in that.

Quote:
All that said, and all those thoughts expressed, I think the idea of freedom from being burdened by possessions (like a house) has a very strong appeal. I will admit that if it were just me, I would choose a cruising lifestyle and make the best of it, and live a life of adventure along the way.
It's very romantic, isn't it? It's really impossible for me not to get excited about the idea. I often have to pull myself back down out of the clouds and remind myself about black water tanks, antifouling, mildew, and fiberglass work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Living aboard is a lot like going "full time" in a Motorhome.
You're absolutely right. If I was susceptible to seasickness or aquaphobia, I'd likely be posting this poll on an RV site. I love a good road trip. I spent six weeks driving 11,000 miles across 26 states last winter, and loved every single second of it. Except Nebraska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
So many factors play into a decision that is your whole lifestyle, that full and complete consideration of them all is difficult.
Ain't that the truth... lol.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote