On board instruments? Guitar? Harmonica?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always travel with my Martin HD28V. Love how it echoes off the trees in a remote anchorage.

My son has one of those—a great guitar. Out of th box it sounded better than my standard issue D28.

My son has one of those—a great guitar. Out of th box it sounded better than my standard issue D28.

I played a lot of guitars and this one was the top as far as sound goes. It has taught me to be a better musician. Such a wide range of voices it has. I take care of it very well.

Larry, bagpipes are only a half-measure. If you’re wanting positive attention at an anchorage, shift around some of those pillows and install one of these. (Just note that you may have to update your house bank first.)

:lol: This was fine, whispered through the ceiling and cool Captain Nemo style.

NBs

Boating's probably less of a problem for your guitar if it is simply a piece of wood and a pickup. Or carbon fiber.

And FWIW, Yamaha makes a "Silent Guitar" with models for nylon or steel strings. It's essentially a detachable frame and a fingerboard, with enough of a pickup to feed earphones (or I have a small palm-sized Fender amp). I played one when shopping, very interesting, maybe still a possibility if I decide even smaller would be better.

-Chris

Attachments

• Travel guitar.PNG
    Travel guitar.PNG
    95.7 KB · Views: 190
This is an interesting thread. I also carry a guitar onboard, and I am also not a very good player. It does soothe me and give me something to do though.

Capn, my heart goes out to you. I can't imagine what you are experiencing. Your son is on board with you, through his guitar.

Cheers, Bill

I have a 1963 vintage Epiphone Riviera that I bought new in high school. It's an amazing blues guitar. My son had it the back seat of my Cadillac on the way home from a jam session, the night he crashed the caddy and died. The guitar had the neck broke off in the crash. I lost everything that night. Amazingly with the help of his Blues mentor I got it repaired and it plays amazing but I haven't gotten the motivation to play it since. God, I miss him.
So sorry for your loss. In 1962 my 18 year old brother bought a brand new Gretsch guitar that he wouldnt let me touch. 3 months later he was killed in a car accident and it became mine. That guitar burned up in a house fire 7 years later but I've been playing ever since. I have a cheapy Lohr 350 jazz guitar, my Yamaha p115 piano and a flute on board. Flute sounds dissipate real fast on a boat as do acoustic guitar sounds. Love m6 piano though!!

Looking at the fretboard of the Seagull, it looks like a dulcimer.

I've been perusing travel guitars; there are numerous models.

FWIW, I tried Martin's Backpacker and a couple of the smaller 3/4-size guitars (Taylor, Yamaha)... the Backpacker was especially difficult to hold steady while seated; just too small for me. Might be better is played standing, with a strap. The 3/4 models were similarly not comfortable, although not as bad. For me I was glad it was an "audition in person" versus a random 'net purchase.

The Yamaha Silent Guitar didn't seem to have those same "slippery" characteristics...

-Chris

I always bring a guitar with me when I'm on the boat.

I have a Taylor GS (7/8 scale) which is a good balance of sound for a small guitar. It's a laminate, so it does better than my solid guitars like my Martin 12 String (too big for a boat) or Taylor 314.

Admittedly, we only do weekends and a few weeks here and there. When we move onboard on a more 'full-time' basis (seasonally) I'll be bringing a carbon fiber guitar with me.

I prefer Elixer strings. With their polymer coating, they do well in a marine environment.

m/v MOJO has a full size electric piano on-board and a Composite Acoustics carbon fiber guitar (now made by Peavy).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom