Spider Dung?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlamb15

Veteran Member
So with the new boat has come new projects. While trying to get the decks and sides clean we have come across what we have been told is spider poop....we have tried numerous products from west marine including the spider and bird stain remover, scrubbing bubbles ( without bleach)* and deck brite. Nothing really seems to work, it takes the big stuff off but not the stains. Any ides?

James

-- Edited by jlamb15 on Saturday 12th of November 2011 05:02:34 AM

We have an awful spider problem in the Northern Neck of VA and have found that Mr Clean Magic Eraser works well. I have heard that this may remove some of the sheen from the wax so you might need to touch up your wax job.

stains in porous surfaces are tough...

first I would try increasing strengths of bleach with a drop of dishwashing detergent...

if that doesn't work...now no pun intended..but try "The Works" which is a toilet bowl cleaner and an acid.* Its very good...dilute first - a squirt in a quart of water...keep adding still you get the stain out.* Then rinse well.

You can get the stuff at supermarkets, dollar stores, home depot...

I used it after my trip north to get the brown water stain off my bow...works like majic.

I was going to suggest muriatic acid as it's cheap and readily available...the stuff I recommended is a little less harsh and comes in handy little squirt bottles for less than $2...hard to argue with either.*

FSR. It's a blue gel with oxalic acid in it. You should find it at any good marine store.

James,

We also have a substantial spider population in the midwest.* Came across this product called Rejex on another forum.* It's not really a cleaner, but a surface protector, meant to be applied after compounding and buffing. I put it on last spring and it really DOES work.* Spider poop washes off with little or no scrubbing (severe cases may need a little work with a bug pad) and the gloss level is sensational.* Not shilling this stuff, and have no interest in the company, but it has worked very well for me.* A lot of small aircraft pilots use it to keep the bugs off and I*ended*up buying from one of their suppliers (best price).* *Go here for a look-see:*

http://www.skygeek.com/61002.html

Rick Haverstock

on the hard in Chicago

Wow, thanks for all the advice....I think we are going to try the muriatiac acid as it is a non-skid deck...will keep everyone posted.....
james

A product called AWESOME; sold at Dollar General stores (or similar naming), simply spray on & watch stuff melt away. Don't inhale fumes & rinse off once clean

chc wrote:
A product called AWESOME; sold at Dollar General stores (or similar naming), simply spray on & watch stuff melt away. Don't inhale fumes & rinse off once clean

Gonna have to try that. I wonder if is Muratic Acid based? Like Carl suggested the MA is a great product. I use it in a spray bottle sometimes for hard to get to places and use the stream setting, then a rinse. Can't beat it for removing a "mustache".

Awesome's label claims no acid, bleach, or ammonia. It will remove wax, etc from hull srface when used full strength, so some thought must be applied as well. Our marina has a copious supply of midges. They leave green dots, other sludge all over the boat. Spray on Awesome, wipe, rinse, gone. For a buck, can't be beat. MA use has always concerned me. Acid & I never got along in chemistry class. Since we use Awesome for deck cleaning, etc & are barefoot quite a bit of the time, well, you can see our reluctance to use an acid based cleaner.

RickH wrote:
James,

We also have a substantial spider population in the midwest.* Came across this product called Rejex on another forum.* It's not really a cleaner, but a surface protector, meant to be applied after compounding and buffing. I put it on last spring and it really DOES work.* Spider poop washes off with little or no scrubbing (severe cases may need a little work with a bug pad) and the gloss level is sensational.* Not shilling this stuff, and have no interest in the company, but it has worked very well for me.* A lot of small aircraft pilots use it to keep the bugs off and I*ended*up buying from one of their suppliers (best price).* *Go here for a look-see:*

http://www.skygeek.com/61002.html

Rick Haverstock

on the hard in Chicago

*Says it's silicon free but I'd be careful using it on or near*surfaces that I may paint someday...not sure what is in the stuff but just say'n

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom