View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Providence

City: Wellesley Island, NY
Vessel Name: Providence
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
Outer Hull Damage

Providence is a 2000 Mainship Pilot 34 with a blue Awlgrip hull.

I just had my marina pull the boat out of winter storage so I could wash/wax and apply fresh bottom paint to the hull before putting it in the water for the season.

Before I even got a chance to start I noticed some cracks in the paint, so I investigated further. Lo and behold I found a giant spider crack on the side of my hull. It is located on the port side and slightly forward of amidships and halfway between the rubrail and waterline. After notifying the marina the owner of the yard called and asked to meet with me at the boat. He explained to me the manufacturing process for fiberglass boats he primarily sells. Without stating it, he led me to believe this could be a manufacturing flaw and suggested that my fenders caused flexing in the hull, from wave action and the dock. These cracks were not present in the fall and they are now present in the spring. The cracks also seem to be located at a place where an inside bulkhead meets the hull. A place that would be significantly stronger than surrounding areas of the hull.

Does anyone have a similar issue? I’m all ears.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9900.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	75356Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9902.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	75357
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote