Yachting Caps Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Paying the price for too much sun, and not enough sunscreen when younger, I won’t walk 100 yards in the sun without a ball cap on and every inch of exposed skin lathered with water proof sunscreen. I now wear a cloth mask around my face when out for longer periods of boating or paddling. Looks funny, but I will do whatever it takes to reduce the chances of having another scalpel encounter with my face.

Paying the price for too much sun, and not enough sunscreen when younger, I won’t walk 100 yards in the sun without a ball cap on and every inch of exposed skin lathered with water proof sunscreen. I now wear a cloth mask around my face when out for longer periods of boating or paddling. Looks funny, but I will do whatever it takes to reduce the chances of having another scalpel encounter with my face.

Ah ha, the masked boater. What does USCG say about the mask?

yea, they carve on my face too. Just one more scar

Normally a visor but have a tilly and then when we leave the boat for a dinner or something typically a dress hat

What would it cost to get a short run of embroidered hats?

You might try WeekendR Products

Full disclosure - Ken is my brother but he has done shirts, hats & other apparel for our Sail & Power Squadron, boater friends as well as our marine.
Tell him I sent you or you saw it on TF - probably no discount? but you might get some personal attention.

His link also available on my Bacchus website in Boating links section

Attachments

• hat1.jpg
    hat1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
You might try WeekendR Products

Full disclosure - Ken is my brother but he has done shirts, hats & other apparel for our Sail & Power Squadron, boater friends as well as our marine.
Tell him I sent you or you saw it on TF - probably no discount? but you might get some personal attention.

His link also available on my Bacchus website in Boating links section

Hmmm, will he admit you are his brother? LOL

Hmmm, will he admit you are his brother? LOL

He will but be aware he is a blow boater so thinks very differently than most of us here!? :socool:

As such he was a Tilley dealer - not positive if he still is as mine will likely outlast me

Yea the Tilly hats have a place for you to put your name so if lost it will be returned to you. LOL Suuuuure, returned to you LOL
NOT

My father in law, "Vito", wore a Greek fisherman's cap. He had the look to pull it off.
Also looked good in his Fedora. Especially when carrying his mandolin case.
Those 'Greatest Generation" guys really knew how to accessorize.

My father in law, "Vito", wore a Greek fisherman's cap. He had the look to pull it off.
Also looked good in his Fedora. Especially when carrying his mandolin case.
Those 'Greatest Generation" guys really knew how to accessorize.

Did he have a mandolin in that case or was it to carry his machine gun?

Very good discussion! :)

I have had the Moe's surgeon carve on my face 2 times... actually tightened up the wrinkles (the only side benefit) and don't want to go through it again. A nice hat such as a Tilley is what I'm going for. Our yacht club doesn't dress up for events, but we attended one that did, (blazers and caps, white pants etc.). My wife bought me a yachting cap from Midway Caps. It might be passable after I beat it up for awhile (get rid of the shine of that pattent leather bill).

Dave

Been wearing this sort of thing forever
$5 at the local hardware
Rips the name band off as I walk out the door.

bunnings_warehouse_hat_1485942460_ef2eed3d.jpg

Personally, I get a chuckle from anyone wearing a yachting cap.

Last edited:
Been wearing this sort of thing forever
$5 at the local hardware
Rips the name band off as I walk out the door.

bunnings_warehouse_hat_1485942460_ef2eed3d.jpg

Personally, I get a chuckle from anyone wearing a yachting cap.

Get your bib-overalls at the same place and cut the leg off 2 inches above the knees? Save the part you cut off and use them as rags to wipe up the floor?

There is a serious side to this. Australia is the world melanoma capital. If you get one, and it gets away, you are in deep trouble, fast. The pink melanoma is often ignored, or not even noticed. And let`s not forget the more common basal and squamous cell carcinomas. Facial surgery requiring a flap graft,just to clear a margin of 1cm around a squamous cell carcinoma, is not nice.
Cover up,and use sunscreen. The Aussie "Slip Slop Slap" campaign -slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen,slap on a hat- holds good, and not just in Australia.

There is a serious side to this. Australia is the world melanoma capital. If you get one, and it gets away, you are in deep trouble, fast. The pink melanoma is often ignored, or not even noticed. And let`s not forget the more common basal and squamous cell carcinomas. Facial surgery requiring a flap graft,just to clear a margin of 1cm around a squamous cell carcinoma, is not nice.
Cover up,and use sunscreen. The Aussie "Slip Slop Slap" campaign -slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen,slap on a hat- holds good, and not just in Australia.

Blame it on our mothers. When we were younger we were almost stake out in the sun.

Blame it on our mothers. When we were younger we were almost stake out in the sun.
So true, kids were put in playpens in the sun.
Here,many of our ancestors came from England, where fair skin was fine. Here it doesn`t fare so well.
These days, we are advised to get some sun for Vitamin D production to ward off osteoporosis, so it`s a tightrope.I get annual skin checks, that`s common here.
Our marina shipwright just had 60 stitches put in his face during a second attempt to get clear margins. Brave guy, done in the Dr`s rooms under local! Not for me.
Prevention is better than cure,assuming a cure is possible.

So true, kids were put in playpens in the sun.
Here,many of our ancestors came from England, where fair skin was fine. Here it doesn`t fare so well.
These days, we are advised to get some sun for Vitamin D production to ward off osteoporosis, so it`s a tightrope.I get annual skin checks, that`s common here.
Our marina shipwright just had 60 stitches put in his face during a second attempt to get clear margins. Brave guy, done in the Dr`s rooms under local! Not for me.
Prevention is better than cure,assuming a cure is possible.

Yes, I get an annual inspection.
I question the wisdom of doing preventative action now, the damages was done many years ago. But like many things, "At least we are doing something."

Hats?

I don’t do hats unless it’s raining hard. They look stupid when it’s not raining. And any hat looks stupid indoors.

Have I been seen wearing a hat? Ummm yea.
Oh yes .. straw farmer hats as per Simi 60’s hat. Wear them a lot when it’s sunny. It’s a cancer thing.

Last edited:
Here in Cuba it’s a hard hat or a straw hat and usually with a sun flap on the back.

I think the Aussies lead the pack for skin cancer but the so cal beach communities are probably a close second. Same deal, people of European descent who are at the wrong latitude. The retired career lifeguards are now giving talks to the younger generation of kids entering the ranks and showing them first hand the results if they don’t pay attention to it.

IIMG_0002.jpg

These are the hats that stay on my boat.

Normally it’s the UF hat or the FLIR (camo ball cap) that I wear.

If I’m out on the dinghy I slap on the boonie hat. The FWC hat usually is strategic.

RESPECT Da Sun!!

Attachments

• Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG
    Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Copy of Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.jpg
    Copy of Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 71
Only this pink one from dwhatty.

profilepic522_2.gif

Lost it once to Davey Jones' locker and had to buy a few replacements to maintain my sullied reputation. I found some caps online for under $10 and had them embroidered local shirt/cap/uniform shop for about $7 a piece.

Tilley for me, too.

Curious, does anyone wear the $30 knock off Tilley Hat that Bass Pro Shop sells? I tried one on, it wasn's as comfortable as the Tilley, even though they look identical.

Only this pink one from dwhatty.

profilepic522_2.gif

Lost it once to Davey Jones' locker and had to buy a few replacements to maintain my sullied reputation. I found some caps online for under $10 and had them embroidered local shirt/cap/uniform shop for about $7 a piece.

So, that's how you do it. Personally, have used/given away up all my "The Coot" hats.

Tilley for me.

Just saying...

Attachments

• gilhat.JPG
    gilhat.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom