The Mythical 20,000 Hour Engine??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ran a large fleet (over 200) of Caterpillar 3516 generators in a former job. We ran them very hard, with normal load over 1000 kW.
In most cases, we did top end overhauls @ about 25,000 and bottom end at 50,000 hours. Oil changes were done at 900-1000 hours.

One of the biggest variable affecting the engine life was the number of startups. The engines that ran during peak hours only, and shut down during the night had a much shorter lifespan than those running almost constantly.

1meg is not a lot for a 3516. In a standby application they go up to 2.5 meg. In a prime application they typically are slow speed 1200rpm and much lower kw rating than standby applications. :thumb:

I have a pair of Lugger LP668Ts on my boat. It is an unusual set up as the majority of these are installed as singles. It was the main (but close to being the only) reason I bought this boat.
They currently have less than 6K hours, Since I bought the boat I have contracted with Control Masters Inc. to maintain them (along with the Northern Lights gen). CMI have the contract to maintain the St John's River pilot boats, so are a top class outfit.

My expectation for these engines is a very long one, certainly for the next 15 years plus. After that I seen no reason why the power plant would be a negative in any sale.

Most of the dead pleasure boat engines I have seen were killed , not worn out.

I understand how folks can fear a 10,000 hour engine , but a far bigger fear should be the engine that has 50 hours a year on the clock.

When I hear of a replacement diesel in a fairly new pleasure boat I always winder how it was killed , and what else is suffering onboard.

Last edited:
Great Information

I want to thank everyone who commented on this topic. It’s nice to hear from the people who know and have experienced running a diesel for a long time. I learned a lot and I can’t say every day. I guess I'm a light weight only averaging 100 hrs / year. doing oil changes every 50 hrs. I guess I have to drive harder and drink less Rum.
Captain Paul

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom