Old flares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCS

Vessel Name
Grey Goose
Vessel Make
Compass 55 (Grand Harbour)
So I was doing some spring cleaning today and came across all sorts of great pyrotechnics including parachute flares, Ariel flares, smokebomb orange smoke signal and assorted emergency flares; but this box of stuff is all dated 1993 -1996. (I must have started boating at age four.)

Obviously they don't comply with anything regulatory but what the heck do I do with them?

I know what folks in St Augustine do with them on July Fourth fireworks night.

So I was doing some spring cleaning today and came across all sorts of great pyrotechnics including parachute flares, Ariel flares, smokebomb orange smoke signal and assorted emergency flares; but this box of stuff is all dated 1993 -1996. (I must have started boating at age four.)

Obviously they don't comply with anything regulatory but what the heck do I do with them?

Do what we did: buy an SOS Distress Light which makes you compliant with USCG regulations. After that, your flares do not need to be current, and you can keep them aboard as long as you feel it prudent (although I'm not sure about flares from the early '90s!). We have kept all our old flares and feel confident that we have two excellent ways of visually communicating distress on the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep the most recently expired set of flares on board along with current ones. We have a law that says you need a pyrotechnics licence to have flares, EXCEPT if they are currently in date. Then it's legal to have them. I don't think anybody has been fined for non-compliance, but clearly the authorities believe that keeping old flares can be hazardous.

Provided they are well stored (dry, not in sun or other heat source) there is likely minimal risk. But I still would not keep old ones indefinitely. I can't imagine surveyors or insurance companies being happy with a stack of old flares on board. And you wouldn't want to give the latter any excuse to deny a claim!

Disposal is relatively straightforward here. Google search yields nearby Volunteer Marine Rescue/Coastguard or other location that have bins for them. A few enquiries should locate a disposal location in your area.

I have the recently expired extra flares onboard, too, but had to find a disposal site for the older ones last year. I called the CG in case they could use them for training, but they don't take 'em. I ended up driving to a local firehouse and gave them to the fireman who answered the door. I told him, "Here...have fun with 'em!"

Problem solved, mission accomplished.

Here in Canada the Canadian Power Squadron has flare days all across the country at local stores were you can drop them off for free and they are disposed of properly.

We use our old flares for starting fires when we go to shore.

We use our old flares for starting fires when we go to shore.

You might want to mention that you are talking only about hand held flares. using a rocket flare to start a fire will start it all right, just not where you want it to start.
If you need to dispose of rockets, shooting them downwards into your wake will get rid of them without burning what shouldn't be burned and will familiarize you with shooting them.

Well put, we use our hand held flares for starting fires. On the 4th of July we usually fire off our expired aerial flares. Thank you for the clarification.

In the past we have anchored in sight of the USCG station and informed them we are having a training drill , and will be lighting off flairs for the next 30 min.

The key is to inform them NOT ask for permission.

Np problems ,

In the past we have anchored in sight of the USCG station and informed them we are having a training drill , and will be lighting off flairs for the next 30 min.

The key is to inform them NOT ask for permission.

Np problems ,

Great Idea

Even my favorite place, Chapman's school, stopped taking them.
I made a nice tax free contribution and my expired flares 'disappeared' LOL

Places for proper disposal are fast drying up.
Someone told me, their expired flares 'fall over the side' when they are 3 miles out.

Per shooting them off, once you get permission from the USCG, do a pom pom over channel 16 so other boater do think you are in trouble. When you run out of flares, pom pom so they know you are finished, unless you set your boat on fire. LL
Then call for help

Last edited:
When I got the boat the PO was keeping all old flares aboard, I had more than 50 decaying flares in a bag. I went to my local firefighters station to ask what to do with that and they directed me to the nearby recycling center, problem solved.

L

Our local Power Squadron loves to get old flares to use in training classes. I'm guessing the Coast Guard Aux would like them as well.

I figure that if I need then there will never be enough, new or old so I keep them unless they are deteriorating or damaged.

Hey bayview, didn't they name a yacht club after you or maybe you own it?

Keeping all those expired flares eventually become a fire hazard and ensures total destruction of you boat if it catches on fire. No one will want to come to your aid. LOL
A. put on PFD B. call for help C. toss really really expired flares over the side. LOL

If you belong to a yacht club you can hold a "Flare Demo Day". There's a USCG form that you need to fill out to let them know. I've done two for our club and invited the fire department and notified the Emergency Dispatch Center.

Invite club members to bring their old flares and shoot them off over the water.

C." toss really really expired flares over the side."

Quality flairs make a difference , we have a very pistol and have shot parachute flairs that are 30-40 years from mfg , and about 8 out of 10 worked.

C." toss really really expired flares over the side."

Quality flairs make a difference , we have a very pistol and have shot parachute flairs that are 30-40 years from mfg , and about 8 out of 10 worked.

Corrections, "Fell over the side." :whistling:

Thanks for all the great tips. I no longer plan to keep 25 year old flares on the boat. They have gone to a better place. C

If you notify the USCG of when and where you can use over date aerial flares for practice.

We keep assorted recently expired flares aboard as back up. Older ones are used for "practice" on Independence Day and New Year's Eve. In all seriousness, it really is good for the crew to occasionally experience firing off the various types of flares.

Oh, and +1 to the SOS Distress Light. Of course, you need the accompanying flag to cover the daytime requirement for visual signalling. The distress light has its batteries rotated out annually to the handheld spotlight as they both take C-cells.

Last edited:
:rofl: "Pom pom"

That's cute :lol:

Of course as you know he's referring to "Pan Pan" however I'd like to make note that Pan Pan is for urgent messaging and not simply general notification. If you notify the local USCG that you're doing a flare exercise they will make the necessary general radio announcement, which of course you're not supposed to do except for Mayday, Pan Pan, and Securite. There's enough going on with the VHF, don't want to spread confusion.

Of course as you know he's referring to "Pan Pan" however I'd like to make note that Pan Pan is for urgent messaging and not simply general notification. If you notify the local USCG that you're doing a flare exercise they will make the necessary general radio announcement, which of course you're not supposed to do except for Mayday, Pan Pan, and Securite. There's enough going on with the VHF, don't want to spread confusion.

Blame spell check.
And I talk funny too

Warning! Short story posted below. I wrote this tongue and cheek story for a now defunct boating magazine for Halloween. It has a “viable solution”for what to do with old boating flares.....

The Boat Zombies of Degnen Bay.

Close friends survive dangerous situations. The three of us, Joe, Keith and Katie were out cruising the Gulf Islands of Canada one fine August day and pulled into a wonderful protected bay just off Gabriola Passage, Degnen Bay. Evening was approaching and we planned to anchor here for the night. We lowered our Rocna anchor and quickly obtained a solid set for the night.

Our goal was to row ashore to take the short 1/2 mile walk to the United Church on South Road to view the amazing petroglyphs in the woods behind the Church before nightfall. The unmarked trail back to the site was quiet and serene. Moss hung from the trees and the lighting dimmed the further into the woods we walked. The first petroglyph we came upon was a Sisiutl style Sea Wolf/ Serpent wonderfully done in the sandstone. Several other 'glyphs' were very esoteric shapes that we had not seen anywhere else. The petroglyphs and surrounding forest evoked many odd feelings from reverence to mystical as we carefully walked around making sure we did not step on any of the images carved in the stone. As we walked back we talked about the images and what they could possibly represent. We had one more petroglyph to find, the Orca in Degnen Bay, so we headed back to our dinghy.

Rowing around the bay revealed a beautiful and tranquil setting with many layers of green amidst a variety of unusual rock formations. We found the Orca on a slab of sandstone near the head of the bay and it looked like it had a human skeletal figure inside of the Orca body. A very rusty iron eye bolt was imbedded in the rock near it and it seemed to grab our dinghy line and not want to let it go. Our slow tour of the pastoral harbor revealed 93 empty boats and not one living soul in sight. Several of these appeared to be derelict vessels with the Eagles song, "Hotel California", playing from their broken windows and misshapen hulls.

We were sitting up on the Flybridge enjoying the start of a beautiful sunset when our conversation turned to the lack of people aboard any of the boats in this tranquil bay. Conversation drifted to some of the strange images we saw earlier in the evening and we wondered what events led to the creation of these remarkable petroglyphs.

The sunset went from shades of red to dark blues when we turned on our anchor light. This seemed to signal the derelict vessels which suddenly began silently gliding through the water towards us, leaving no wakes and making no sounds. The rusty stains from the nails in their wooden hulls gave them the appearance of dripping blood. Slowly, 5 of these menacing boats circled us in the fading light. The only trace of their movement was the streams of phosphorescence they left if their wake-less paths. They circled closer and closer while grotesque figures of crazed Zombies peered from the broken windows. We shined our spotlights on the circling vessels and the screams began. Time to leave! Quickly Joe and Katie scurried to the bow of our Willard and prepared to hoist the anchor and make our escape. Keith had the engine started and the winch was whining as the chain rattled into the locker. We forged our way forward as the sturdy Willard rammed its way through the Zombie gauntlet. Joe and Katie were fighting off the Zombies with boat hooks and outdated flares. The flares quickly set fire to the derelict vessels amid the screams of the sinking zombies. As we left the bay the flames were reflected in the otherwise quiet waters of this peaceful place. Outside the bay in Gabriola Passage, the current was running fast as it pushed us out into the passage and safety. So, next time you choose to anchor in one of those small peaceful coves, keep a sharp eye on the derelicts, as everything is not as it may seem.
I
Side note; two days later we passed Degnen Bay on the way to Ladysmith Harbor and noticed several vultures circling over the quiet anchorage...

So, next time you choose to anchor in one of those small peaceful coves, keep a sharp eye on the derelicts, as everything may not be as it seems.

One good thing came out of this experience, we finally found a legitimate use for those outdated flares we all carry.

Happy Halloween and Safe Cruising.

Back
Top Bottom