Battery watering system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarryP

Vessel Name
Mango Mama
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36
Gary,

Have you installed the battery watering system yet? This past summer I installed the Aqua- Pro system to service a hard to reach 8D battery*that powers my windlass. It made watering*so easy*that I recently installed*the Aqua-Pro system on*the 3x8D batts that make up my house bank.*I also installed the Pro-Fil system for a much smaller 2x6V*starting bank.*No more excuses for battery neglect,*and a whole lot cheaper than buying expensive AGMs! I bought online from these folks: http://www.janwp.com/*The owner was helpful and shipped next day.

Richard, Willard 40

If AGM batteries are suitable for the application, you can eliminate any need for a watering system. That's what I did on my boat, replaced the house batteries with AGMs. When the starting battery goes, I will replace it as well.

I agree with the AGM suggestion, and $80 or $90 bucks will make a good start on the payback.
Steve W

For a large battery bank like mine (960 AH) the decision to forego AGMs was easy: I installed four 8D wet cell batteries for*$1248. Had I gone with AGM, it would have cost $3100. For a savings of $1800, I'll gladly put up with having to check water levels -- and now with the watering system I installed it takes no more than 10 minutes*to complete -- any time spent*in the*engine room will pay back dividends in improved*maintenance. Just my opinion --**

nwboater wrote:-- any time spent*in the*engine room will pay back dividends in improved*maintenance. Just my opinion --**And mine! (I do have 3-8D AGMs, however.) :peace:

nwboater wrote:
For a large battery bank like mine (960 AH) the decision to forego AGMs was easy: I installed four 8D wet cell batteries for*$1248. Had I gone with AGM, it would have cost $3100. For a savings of $1800, I'll gladly put up with having to check water levels -- and now with the watering system I installed it takes no more than 10 minutes*to complete -- any time spent*in the*engine room will pay back dividends in improved*maintenance. Just my opinion --**

Time spent here will only benefit my chiropractor.
disbelief.gif

Attachments

• 02_17 009.jpg
    02_17 009.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 128
I'm with nwboater. I previously posted that this past spring I saved about the same $. I do have two big AGMs for my 24V bow thruster, but only because they are*in the bilge**cabin area and not the ER. It is not unusual to have PBH+ batteries last as long or longer than gel and the jury is sitll out on AGMs. It all depends on your charging sytem and inverter setup. As for a bad back, let the installer do the lifting. As Rickb says, hydro caps greatly reduce the water addition intervals. Fortunately and without hydrocaps, my PbH+ use very little water, knock on wood.

Back
Top Bottom