View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 01:20 AM   #10
Sabre602

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Trawlerfest is a great place to actually experience a lot of boats; it's in Bremerton this year, in May.

I divide boat selection into four basic categories: 1) design, 2) construction, 3) maintenance, and 4) aesthetics. We each have our own likes and dislikes. For most of us a boat is a luxury and/or a hobby, therefore, it's important to love your boat. Sounds simple, but I really see a lot of people putting an absolute focus on factors like economy over their feelings.

Note that I don't put purchase price or cost of ownership among those primary categories. I lust after a lot of boats that are many times out of my price range but it's just fantasy and I know it. I'm a working stiff with two girls just starting college, but I was able to work within my means in selecting the right boat. Were I to be well off the decision would have been different, but those four primary considerations wouldn't have varied much.

OK, now for some broad generalizations...

1. Wood boats are suitable only for a very few dedicated people who are either wealthy or incredibly passionate and talented.
2. Taiwan trawlers that seem priced attractively have hidden rot. Or not so hidden.
3. Diesel engines are much more expensive than gasoline engines.

Hmmm...that's about it for generalizations.

My wife and I lived aboard a 28-foot sailboat for years. It was plenty for us. Others "need" an 80-foot luxury yacht. I favor a slow stinkpot and am perfectly happy at 6.5 knots, but a buddy at work "needs" twin turbo diesels and is unhappy below 20 knots. I like wood, weathered bronze and galvanized steel. Some people "need" shiny glass and metal.

Now, here's something you'll hear about in time, and may well experience for yourself at some point. It's a syndrome called "twofootitis." Yeah, my boat is nice, but if it were only two feet longer.... What does bigger get you? Well, more room, of course. But costs rise almost exponentially. Vessel handling in close quarters becomes more complicated. Mechanical complexity shoots up quickly. Of course, some feel more comfortable on a larger boat, especially when the weather gets up. Some need that guest cabin. Some need a washer & dryer, a deep freeze, a big generator, vast fuel capacity.

There's no right or wrong here, it's just that the variables are innumerable and, unless you have personal experience aboard, it's hard to decide what's important to YOU and what may easily be dispensed with. I favor slow and simple. I like wood. I like diesel. I like workboat designs. But those are personal preferences based upon a lot of experience.

So where does a person start? Get aboard as many boats as you can. Find every boat show and go to them...most have in-the-water displays. Walk the docks, endlessly. Talk to folks...lots and lots of us will invite people aboard who express interest. Consider chartering until you have more basis for choice. Keep your eye out for open houses that lots of charter brokerages have. Up here in Bellingham we sometimes have mini-trawlerfests that the brokers put together. Be sure to include Canada in your journeys. I found several wonderful boats that I wanted to buy up in Canada. The timing came together only on one of them, and I brought her home. The exchange rate made it a VERY favorable purchase for an American.

It's a lot like buying a car or motorcycle: get an idea of what you LIKE, then educate yourself about details that matter to you.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote