This might seem like a weird topic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drinkenbuddie

Vessel Name
Indian Summer
Vessel Make
Marine trader Europa 36
I was told by a girl that my boat is an old boat and looks like an old boat. Why wouldn’t you want a new one. Girls don’t like old boats.

Well I can’t afford a new boat so I guess that’s why I have an old boat and gives me something to do and look forward for. I love old boats and think they are cool to look at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you really care what others think?
You bought it for you didn't you?

I was told by a girl that my boat is and old boat and looks like and old boat. Why wouldn’t you want a new one. Girls don’t like old boats. Well I can’t afford a new boat so I guess that’s why I have and old boat and gives me something to do and look forward for. I love old boats and think they are cool to look at.
If you are told by a girl that your boat is old and you should change it, and you cannot afford a new boat, I think you could afford a new girl :)

L

If you are told by a girl that your boat is old and you should change it, and you cannot afford a new boat, I think you could afford a new girl :)

L

No. Now days there are really expensive.

Think of it as an excellent critical filter. If they like old boats, they are your type of girl, if not, pass them by. Plenty of either sort around.
A great assistance for mate selection!

Whatev. Girls don't know anything about boats. Everyone knows that.

Yet a '57 Chevy convertible would catch her eye. Go figure.

Clearly, we need more info in order to help you out of this conundrum.

1. How old is your boat?

2. How old are you?

3. How old is "the girl"?

EDIT PS: Got pictures of 1 and 3?

Last edited:
I am married, I never notice other girls.......:facepalm:

Marty.....................................

I think that the operative word here is "girl."

You're right; that was a weird topic.

:whistling:

We are going on 47 years of marriage. We are on our 23rd boat, she knows about boats. She does a lot of woek on our boats. What she doesn’t know about boats is what things actually cost, she doesn’t ask and I don’t tell...

We are going on 47 years of marriage. We are on our 23rd boat, she knows about boats. She does a lot of woek on our boats. What she doesn’t know about boats is what things actually cost, she doesn’t ask and I don’t tell...

Probably better that way.....:thumb:

Best answer?

"Yeah? How old is your boat lady?"

I was told by a girl that my boat is an old boat and looks like an old boat. Why wouldn’t you want a new one. Girls don’t like old boats.

I was told by a girl that my boat and I were a good match, and we deserved each other:blush:

I knew I'd found a keeper when SabreWife surprised me on the first birthday I celebrated with her after our engagement with a three-day weekend at the tall ship festival in Victoria, BC.

2626518559_6f5cf2e344_b.jpg

Yup, it's old. Older than dirt! And it leaks, and it smells ancient, and it'll kill you if you don't pay attention.

HEY! I mean the ship, not the wife! :angry:

:lol::smitten::rofl:

28 years with my partner
She maintained the first three with me
Held down a job, financed and helped me build the next two from paper to water
Raced and cruised on them extensively including several ocean crossings
And then bought our current vessel for us.
I think shes forgotten more than a lot of male boaters think they know.

Well I can’t afford a new boat so I guess that’s why I have an old boat and gives me something to do and look forward for. I love old boats and think they are cool to look at.

Ah, she wants a "go fast" boat??
Tell her to go buy one for you

She obviously has her priorities screwed up.
If she is your g/f, tell her to take a hike.

Consider the source. Sounds like this particular girl could have offered any opinion good or bad and neither would matter one bit.

We like all boats. New or old. Lots of styles too. Cannot own all of them unless you are Paul Allen.

When I told the ex that I had bought a trawler, she said, "I thought you were a sailor, not a power boat type". I said that I wanted a bigger boat but didn't want to fool with bigger sails. And the trawler is not a loud, go-fast boat. It's fat, old and slow.

She says, "Oh, just like you!" Made me laugh!

Boats don't go out of style, they become more classic unlike women's clothing.
Men are happy if the elastic waist band of his underwear will hold up them up one more day.
Big deal if it has a few holes in them. Took us a long time to get that waist band comfortable.

Men's shirts.....they make changes to the collars and that's supposed to make up go buy all new shirts. LOL MY shirt is a blue Oxford cloth with a button down collar. If they stop making them I guess I will go buy a bunch of white t-shirts to wear with my blue blazer . lol

"We" have decided to remain in the trawler world.... not fast but comfortable. The trawler might be compared to the shell on a turtle.... a small house or perhaps an apartment that moves.

We look for the classics. The 'old lady', seen many hours or at least many years. The boats that have aged well. Sure, we are willing to spend some money to bring her back to her former glory because we can see her beauty..... We know more about our boats than we do about our house. In reality, we know, pretty much anything we do to improve her will be for the next owner. If she can find the proper new owner, he/she will take care of her and maintain her and maybe she will live another generation.

The go-fast boat, it does what it was designed for.... go fast. How many 20 and 30 year old go-fast boat are on the market? I dont know but chances are, their engines are not in the best of shape, tired from going fast.

I know of one all wood, steam powered yacht, built at the height of the Depression. I believe it was owned by one of the Dodge brothers I think. I would see it docked a way out on Lake St Clair in MI, along Lake Shore Drive. When that Dodge brother died, his widow just kept it docked. It gave her comfort and reminded her of better times. When she died, the boat fell on hard times but, it was totally refurbished and is now available for charter somewhere over seas. When it was dock off the estate, no one vandalized it, no one boarded it without authorization, we just all look and appreciated it from a distance. She was and is a classic. She is not a go-fast boat ..... There is no way anyone would look at her or if lucky enough board her could say, 'She is out of style.'
If I ever remember her name, maybe I will remember to post it. There is a computer site that tell of the history and has some internal pictures. Until then, let your mind wander back to the elegant yachts of the 20s and 30s.

Ah ha, I found the site. Her name is Delphine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ace-Dodges-1921-luxury-yacht--150million.html

and 2nd site....

https://patch.com/michigan/grossepointe/horace-dodges-steam-yacht-delphine-awaits-a-purchaser

There are many other sites...... It falls into the "if I were rich" class.

Go look at it. I guess it is for sale too.

Last edited:
Well, lots of boaters don't like the look of trawlers in general!!! Even if they were brand new!

Yes and they can buy any boat they want and hopefully afford and maintain.

I would really like a newer Swift trawler. That would be nice but just a
Pipe dream so far.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom