Boarded by Coast Guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So there is one thing you can do to avoid boarding by the USCG. Take the time and have your boat inspected in advance and then put that nice "Boat US" sticker on your port side window. File the paperwork with your other important papers.

This sticker saved my 3 boarding in the past. One in the San Juans and 2 in Alaska. They see the sticker and wave you on.

Last year Crusty and I almost got boarded on the dinghy. They wanted to see PFDs and a fire extinguisher. This year I had the dink inspected too.

I do challenge the Aux when they board my boat to do the safety check. Things like the "Y" valve MUST be locked or tied off (not true) or I must have a bell on my vessel or I must have a white light on my bridge.

As far as LEOs, my boat is my home and they need probable cause. I have been asked by LEOs if they could board. I ask what is the PC? They state a "safety inspection" which I instruct them to look at the sticker on the port window. I have denied boarding and once they see the sticker they move on.

I agree completely with that. Here in Texas the "Castle Law" that allows you to defend your Castle with a gun has been upheld for boats. If your boat is a castle and your car is a castle and your house is your castle then the search of any should have the same rules.

Understand that Texas law isn't applicable in the situation being discussed, at all.

So there is one thing you can do to avoid boarding by the USCG. Take the time and have your boat inspected in advance and then put that nice "Boat US" sticker on your port side window. File the paperwork with your other important papers.

I have found in talking to people along the way and CG officers that placing value on a USCG inspection varies widely by officer and by location. I've found it carries virtually zero value in South Florida. Now, boarding in South Florida is an entirely different game. While some is done for routine inspection, the real interests are smuggling of people, drugs and firearms.

As to earlier conversation about refusing boarding, don't even thing about objecting or questioning. The moment you throw up a red flag, you're going to get a thorough inspection. I've heard of a drunk passenger aboard trying to play "highway" attorney on a boat and start talking non-existent laws. The one incident I'm aware of the passenger was arrested and every inch of the boat was inspected plus the boat ticketed for every possible violation, regardless of how minor. The officers deserve respect and they'll demand it. If any don't show worthy of respect deal with that another time through appropriate channels. We have been stopped once in coastal waters or offshore. We were stopped 4 times on the Great Lakes and I do believe it was all bikini induced, lengthy talk three times and one boarding.

No, your sticker came with your Florida registration.

That is your FL tax sticker and has nothing to do with Federal Documentation of a vessel.

Yeah, but a boat with a few nice bits of USCG. memoribilia turns the boarding into a war story fest more than anything, but yes the checklist still gets done.... :)

Funny you should mention: When I got boarded last year one of the party noticed the coast guard book on my shelf and commented favorably so I introduced him to the author, a high school classmate who happened to be aboard for a couple weeks.

Wouldn't be surprised if government officials monitor boating threads to select boardings of particular boats.

I agree completely with that. Here in Texas the "Castle Law" that allows you to defend your Castle with a gun has been upheld for boats. If your boat is a castle and your car is a castle and your house is your castle then the search of any should have the same rules.

Boatwise, that attitude will cause you problems.

Isn`t one purpose of being armed to defend yourself against Govt? CG are an arm of Govt. Go for it!;) Wish I was there to see it pan out.

Who you gonna call when you are sinking, disabled in the water or need an armed response?
Play nice and be respectful.

Last edited:
2 things, the USCGAUX can NOT board you without a real coastie on board as "the boarding officer". The have ZERO enforcement authority except the qualified fishing boat examiners (forget their real title) and even then its limited to only the program outline.

Stockers from the USCGAUX and others may only get you out of a USCG boarding in rare cases in my experience. Because the stickers dont mean you are safe and compliant that particular day, only thatvar some point you knew what was reauired to be on board to meet a minimum.I used to tell my boarding teams to ignore them because the worst boaters I knew got them hoping the coasties wouldnt board them at their worst.

Last edited:
They USCGAUX is supposed to watch you put the sticker on your boat so they know it went on the right boat.
NOW, question. What side of the boat should the sticker be suck?
I have mind on the dock side, port but, am I correct?
Dock side can changed..... I am thinking it should be on the helm side but, I dont know.

I invited a LEO onboard.... showed him around the boat. He was impressed with the two Flir cameras.

Last edited:
as you said before, you knew more than the examiner ( not hard if you are an experience cruiser), so why bother with the exam/sticker?

Sure another set of eyes, but......in my experience..... not worth the effort as most any avid cruiser should be way beyond a USCGAUX sticker and newbies are often led astray by woefully inadequate experience/opinions.

as you said before, you knew more than the examiner ( not hard if you are an experience cruiser), so why bother with the exam/sticker?

Sure another set of eyes, but......in my experience..... not worth the effort as most any avid cruiser should be way beyond a USCGAUX sticker and newbies are often led astray by woefully inadequate experience/opinions.

Hey, she was new and I considered it an educational opportunity for her.
On your doc number and tonnage, remember to put the dot.

Lots of discussion on this which is the same reason why I always invite a boarding.

5 years ago in another area of Florida, we were boarded while on our 23’ boat. The boarding officer was young. He was professional but far from polite, to the point that my young son asked why he was treating us like “bad guys.”

This was enough to prompt a phone call to his C.O. who was very professional AND polite and said he would address it.

This C.O. was also the same guy who mentioned the Hamilton letter that I now carry on the big boat.

For the new guys it’s an education piece, for the older ones, a subtle reminder.

IF as one contributor mentioned, a guardsman came onboard without his knowledge while he was underway, I guess from the swim platform..... If that happens to me, I hope he knows CPR and the location of my AED because he is going to need it. LOL

Last edited:
K9medic....

this part of the letter was the mantra of every minute of duty I served for 23 years. Those that didnt abide by it were disciplined quickly.

Even after dramatic rescues or failed attempts where rescue crews were berated by survivors, families or media.... rescue crew kept their mouths tightly shut. A proud bunch of mostly exceptional people....but alas not all.

from Hamilton's letter....

"They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore, refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of haughtiness, rudeness, or insult."

Wouldn't be surprised if government officials monitor boating threads to select boardings of particular boats.

I worked as a federal agent for twenty one years. You give us way too much credit in the "give a damn" category. :D

been boarded once. I have nothing good to say about it. Not as bad as customs and border protection, but close.

toni

Anyone know the form number to get the custom's sticker?
Can it be done on line?

I tried once in the port of Ft Lauderdale, they sent me to "preferred traveler". I thought I was in Cuba. The crowd was huge. I'm thinking it was not the right place so I left.

Last edited:
Don’t forget your tinfoil hat when you step outside of your pilothouse Mark. ;-)

If I am that important to the government, I do wish they would pay me more.

I've seen my old man tell the USCG no a couple of times. He said "If you have to ask then no. Otherwise prove you can board then come on." They stumble over their words some then just drive off.

1 time he was close to the marina and was having engine problems (single screw) and the CG was trying to get him to stop for a "safety inspection". He said I'm having engine problems, my marina is right there and that's where I'm going. I'm not going to stop, you can hear the motor acting up so go ahead and do whatever you think you need to do. The CG said have a nice day, get to the dock safely.

In my area, this Homeland Security crap has gone to their head. They have no concept of safe speed or bear steerage. They can't even gently land along side a boat in the calm river and they are clueless when it comes to the ColRegs.

I have no problem giving them a smile and wave when they roll by, but too many times they roll up with an attitude.

K9medic....

this part of the letter was the mantra of every minute of duty I served for 23 years. Those that didnt abide by it were disciplined quickly.

Even after dramatic rescues or failed attempts where rescue crews were berated by survivors, families or media.... rescue crew kept their mouths tightly shut. A proud bunch of mostly exceptional people....but alas not all.

from Hamilton's letter....

"They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore, refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of haughtiness, rudeness, or insult."
Yep, Freemen. Right up until you take your boat away from the dock. Then you live at the discretion of the USCG and how they feel that day. But again, I have never been boarded and have the utmost respect for their mission and abilities as public servants. My uncle was in the CG and earned several commendations for saving lives, to me that is the Coast Guard. My father had his bacon saved once as well in AK when the engine in his old tug died close to the rocks. What I don't like is how the govt in its infinite wisdom saw fit to allow the CG to have the level of power that they do as regards the boarding of vessels minding their own business and bothering no one. It amounts to harassment and all the suck up language I have seen here about being polite, "they have many guns" etc., does not detract from the basic fact that when you are boarded by the CG for no reason other than bogus inspections, it is an undeniable but acceptable to most loss of freedom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom