View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
If you're only going to marina hop, there's probably no need for a dink. I would not consider a dink as a suitable replacement for a lifeboat, either. If you need a lifeboat, buy a lifeboat for the purpose...don't rely on the dink to be suitable in an emergency.

In my case, I started with a 5 year old used 9.5 ft wood floor soft-bottom Achilles with 15" tubes that I could roll up in a bag and store in the laz. Powered it with a 2 hp Honda that stored easily on the FB. Worked well for years but I soon got tired of inflating/deflating when it was time to move, so I started stowing it on the swimstep or bow...depending on how soon I'd need it next. With a covered slip, it worked well and the dink is still in good shape 10 years later.

In time, I got a 15 hp OB that runs great but is a bit oversized for the dink. I also recently picked up a dink float that sits nicely in my slip next to my bow. The 2HP Honda remains at the ready on the FB if needed.

Yesterday, I was walking through Costco and saw that they are again selling the Hydro-Force Mirovia 10'10" PVC dink for under $500 in the store ($599 online). This dink is also a soft bottom fold-up but it has 17 inch tubes, an aluminum floor and is rated for 15HP. Since my slip is covered (protecting the PVC from rain and excessive UV) and my new dink float will easily accommodate this size dink, I'll be picking up a 2nd dink today...just in time for some summer fun!
Attached Thumbnails
20180310_164040.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote