New to trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim R

Greetings! Lurked around a while, so thought it's time to say hello.

I retired out of the Navy after 32 years driving ships and subs, then met a great girl who lives on a 50-foot Japan-built wooden trawler in San Diego. Now I live on a 50-foot Japan-built trawler in San Diego. (life is good)

I once commanded a 224-foot wooden mine sweeper, but I'm finding this old girl (the boat, not the woman) needs a whole new level of care and feeding: Loafer is stout double-planked mahogany, but she IS over 45 years old.

I have lots to learn (I've been a sail boat guy my whole life), but I've found the Trawler Forum to be a treasure trove of wisdom so far.

Regards,

-Jim

Greetings! Lurked around a while, so thought it's time to say hello.

I retired out of the Navy after 32 years driving ships and subs, then met a great girl who lives on a 50-foot Japan-built wooden trawler in San Diego. Now I live on a 50-foot Japan-built trawler in San Diego. (life is good)

I once commanded a 224-foot wooden mine sweeper, but I'm finding this old girl (the boat, not the woman) needs a whole new level of care and feeding: Loafer is stout double-planked mahogany, but she IS over 45 years old.

I have lots to learn (I've been a sail boat guy my whole life), but I've found the Trawler Forum to be a treasure trove of wisdom so far.

Regards,

-Jim

Welcome aboard, no doubt you will find a lot of information fro the folks here.

L

wooden trawler?

most here dont have extensive experience with them and tbey deserve a special focus.

good luck finding a niche that knows wooden boats extremely well.

there are a few owners here with them, but expertise certainly varies on the web and the more opinions you get the thetter the decisions you can make.

Not having experience doesn't stop a lot of folks on here from giving their expert opinion. Viva La Google.

Great to have you on board here

And Congrats on your 2 knew finds they will both need lots of TLC

Welcome!
I realize you don't own a grand banks, but the grand banks owners association forum has a pretty good number of members with wooden boats - there may be a lot of good information on there for you too. You should give it a try.

-wes

Welcome to The Trawler Forum! Please post some pictures when you have time.

Welcome aboard TF
You will find lots of good folks and info here

We love our 40+ year old Alaskan 46. She has been very well maintained over the years. Welcome aboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom