Refit of a 2006 Ocean Alexander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnoft

Vessel Name
Amazing Grace
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
We sold our '91 GB last summer and began a search for a newer vessel capable of a bit more speed. Our son Will, a broker with Denision in Miami, located several possibilities and we finalized the purchase of a 2006 Ocean Alexander in October. She needed some routine maintenance along with a couple of repairs acknowledged by the owner and listing HMY broker. We took the boat to Cay Marine in Miami, a boatyard Will has worked with and with which I am familiar. I have seen a number of boats refit by Joe Schecter, Cay's owner, and am impressed with the quality of work and their attention to detail. We agreed to a modest refit, a relative term in the boating world, adding or updating a couple of systems and furnishings including a complete paint job.
While we live in VA, we visited Miami a couple of times and talked with Joe frequently but Will oversaw much of the work.
I had mentioned this in an earlier post last fall and a couple of TF members asked me to post some pictures. We are nearing completion of the work and the boat's departure for the Chesapeake, so I'll post what I have.
This is not an advertisement for Cay Marine, but I do highly recommend their work. Nor is this intended to beat the drum for a particular broker; although having been through this experience I am impressed with his work and the post sale attention to the refit. Sure, he's our son but I have talked with half a dozen of his customers who have worked with Will and the yard before embarking on this undertaking and I would do this again; although my wife (his mother) would send me on a Viking funeral.

Refit

A before and after shot of the boat, not quite complete, a gray boot stripe and black bottom will complete the paint job.

Attachments

• IMG_2943.JPG
    IMG_2943.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2091-1.jpg
    IMG_2091-1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 164
We added seating to the flybridge and replaced the helm seats. Cushions and helm seats not yet installed.

Attachments

• IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 136
refit

upgraded electronics and helm, in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 130
refit

The original teak cockpit flooring was not properly maintained, one of the acknowledged deficiencies prior to purchase. We ripped it off and today a synthetic teak floor will be installed.

Refit

Helm chairs are some Stidds we found, reupholstered.

Attachments

• IMG_20180221_0843501-1.jpg
    IMG_20180221_0843501-1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 124
refit

added to cockpit gates so the grandkids and the dog would stay aboard underway

Attachments

• IMG_0115-1.jpg
    IMG_0115-1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 122
must have screwed up the previous pic, it's sideways

refit

added cockpit controls, a feature the Admiral demanded

Attachments

• IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 123
We head to Miami tomorrow and hope to have a few more. As stated earlier, I'd do this again, or maybe a better way to say it is I'm glad we did this. Probably last boat, certainly of this size.

Nice!

When will the refit be complete? Are you taking her back to VA?

All looks terrific! Those helm seats will be worth every penny and the cockpit gates are a great example of form and function. Well done.

What a beautiful paint job, thanks for sharing. Will be nice to see th final product!

We expect the work to be completed in 2 weeks, but it is a boat. Then an 2-day sea trial and back to the yard for adjustments. Hope to start the trip home before the end of the month.

Looking great please send more pics and also of the trip home

BTW the new controls are going to be great!!!

Thanks for the kind words. We're looking forward to completing this project and bringing her home. Will post some more pics when I have them.

Yeah, I like the new hull color! Stands out from the original pic.

What will be your cruising speed on the Ocean 52? Is it a semi displacement hull?

As many of TFers know, I'm a big Ocean Alexander fan! Just finished our third year with our 2006 42' sedan and are still in love with it. We didn't do an extensive refit as most of our improvements were"add ons". IMHO, for bang for the buck, you can't beat buying an older boat & then updating it.

Attachments

• IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Via lido salon 3.jpg
    Via lido salon 3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Port Engine.jpg
    Port Engine.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1591-1.jpg
    IMG_1591-1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 52
A before and after shot of the boat, not quite complete, a gray boot stripe and black bottom will complete the paint job.
Nice shade of blue, and black is always best color choice for bottom. SHARP looking boat! Enjoy! Pelican

Back
Top Bottom