New build - Hampton Endurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob, did the reverse rake windows change the build of the pilothouse area? What did they have to modify in comparison to the standard configuration?

Love being able to follow your build, the changes you have made are excellent and seeing the final results will be incredible. Thanks again for letting us follow along.

Can't wait to see Mahalo in our cruising grounds. :thumb:

W8n, glad you like what you see so far. There is more fun in the works!

As to the reverse rake. I suppose the main change is that because the bottom of the window has to be closer to say your standing position at the wheel, there is less "real estate" out there. In my mind this is not usable space, it just collects dust and shoots glare onto the windows. Think about boats you have seen with sexy raked back windows, you can't even reach out that far to where the bottom of the window meets the helm surface.

I have cruised both and all I can say is I 100% prefer "reversed." I probably would have proceeded anyway if Hampton had said they just couldn't do it, but luckily it was never even a question.

BTW everyone, I pretty much plan daily updates from here on out. There may be some breaks while I'm travelling.

Even my wife agrees and loves the reverse rake layout. That is our dream boat and being able to watch this build, and the specific upgrades you have done, match what we would want to do as well. I still call first dibs when you decide to part ways with her (I'm sure many many years from now). :socool:

Even my wife agrees and loves the reverse rake layout. That is our dream boat and being able to watch this build, and the specific upgrades you have done, match what we would want to do as well. I still call first dibs when you decide to part ways with her (I'm sure many many years from now). :socool:

Okay you got first dibs but I'm hoping you have a LONG wait. Better yet, get your own and we can cruise together!

Okay you got first dibs but I'm hoping you have a LONG wait. Better yet, get your own and we can cruise together!
Absolutely, you will have a LONG history of enjoying Mahalo and all the personalizations you have (and will) done to her. We're nowhere near ready to make the plunge but if so, it would definitely be this model and through Scott. Keep posting updates. :)

Several new posts on the blog since the last time I posted here.

Tomorrow my wife and I are headed back to China. As much as we'd like to get right back on the boat, we are going to tour Beijing for a week. Then head to Shanghai, but we will spend the weekend taking in the Shanghai F1 race (bucket list item).

Then back on the boat on the 16th for four days, for pre-shipping inspections.

There are blog posts scheduled to post nearly every day between now and the 16th. Hopefully I'll have new pics while we are in Beijing, but certainly I will when I get on the boat.

Aloha TF'ers!

You dog, new boat AND an F1 race in person?

Way to live life!!!!! Have a safe trip.

A couple of people have posted comments/questions on the blog. Which I truly appreciate because it is hard for bloggers to get comments, but they make it more interesting for everyone.

Alas, here in China, I am able to approve the comments to be published, but I am not able to answer them. China has what they call The Great Firewall. For example, everything "google" is blocked. A lot of sites just "don't work."

Question 1 - have I selected a tender? Yes, Walker Bay Generation 400 with a 50 hp Yamaha.

Question 2 - did I eliminate crew quarters in favor of lazarette? That's exactly what we did. We don't plan on crew, nor the number of guests where we would need crew quarters. Instead it's a big old "garage" for me to work on, store stuff, etc. We did the design on the fly in Shanghai in December. I have a drawing but, we made more changes subsequently.

I'll have some good pictures of the Laz in a week or two.

Thank you BOTH for the comments!

While you're over there, find out how they secure their railing stanchions to the fiberglass.

While you're over there, find out how they secure their railing stanchions to the fiberglass.

I shall ask. Curious question. Have you seen some issues with railings in some boats? Have you heard of an issue with Hampton railings?

Oh no... They feel more solid than most, and far larger than average but there is no visible mounting at the stanchion base to the fiberglass, so there must be something molded into the fiberglass that they screw onto. I've been looking at Hamptons since the one that got away at the Stuart (FL) boat show a few months ago.

Thanks!
Stu

Oh no... They feel more solid than most, and far larger than average but there is no visible mounting at the stanchion base to the fiberglass, so there must be something molded into the fiberglass that they screw onto. I've been looking at Hamptons since the one that got away at the Stuart (FL) boat show a few months ago.

Thanks!
Stu

So no visible screw heads at the base of the railing? I think they have threads welded on the underside, so when it is mounted a big washer is used under the fiberglass with a lock nut.

I am just guessing......

I think it is a great question to ask. Not that there is likely anything wrong with the technique, but it is just good to know down the road. With a new boat, you likely won’t have to mess with stanchions in your lifetime, but you never know.

Years ago I ruined a stanchion on my Dad’s Catalina 36. Someone had tied a temp spring line to a stanchion. My folks were disembarking and my wife and I were taking the boat out. I took off and bent the stanchion over 90 degrees. Accidents happen and if you know how the stanchion was assembled, it makes it easier to take off and repair. However, on a boat as nice as yours, anything like that will be repaired at a yard instead of doing it yourself at a dock as we did.

Last edited:
Hampton Endurance railing stanchion

Here is a blurry photo of the cockpit railing. The stanchions seem to be screwed down onto something in the hull or deck cap. It looks like all are turned down on a lathe with a swaged end near the deck. I have not seen a boat with that type stanchion and is quite solid. I also like the oval railings, since they are bigger than they appear unless you're looking down on them.

So far, I like Hampton a lot!

Stu

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-04-09 13.18.56.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-04-09 13.18.56.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 89
Here is a blurry photo of the cockpit railing. The stanchions seem to be screwed down onto something in the hull or deck cap. It looks like all are turned down on a lathe with a swaged end near the deck. I have not seen a boat with that type stanchion and is quite solid. I also like the oval railings, since they are bigger than they appear unless you're looking down on them.

So far, I like Hampton a lot!

Stu

I have seen these on a Selene....

Here is a blurry photo of the cockpit railing. The stanchions seem to be screwed down onto something in the hull or deck cap. It looks like all are turned down on a lathe with a swaged end near the deck. I have not seen a boat with that type stanchion and is quite solid.
Stu

I see. I will ask at the factory. In a similar vein, note that Hamptons have hawse holes with integrated cleats. I have noticed that where they go on my boat are just gaping holes at the moment. Thinking of the stress put on them in a storm I have been wondering how the units are affixed to the hull besides simply glassing them in. The factory says they will show me when I'm there in a few days.

If anyone has other questions about how something is built, now is the time!

I see. I will ask at the factory. In a similar vein, note that Hamptons have hawse holes with integrated cleats. I have noticed that where they go on my boat are just gaping holes at the moment. Thinking of the stress put on them in a storm I have been wondering how the units are affixed to the hull besides simply glassing them in. The factory says they will show me when I'm there in a few days.

I have the same on my boat. I assume (which likely means I'm wrong) that they are a two-part construction with the bulwark sandwiched between. The force on the cleat is born by the bulwark itself. So if the cleat rips out, it is ripping out the side of the boat. I think they are similar to this.
41GX6Y8ZeqL._SY355_.jpg
41GX6Y8ZeqL._SY355_.jpghttp:

Thanks for sharing!!! Blog is now checked daily....

I have the same on my boat. I assume (which likely means I'm wrong) that they are a two-part construction with the bulwark sandwiched between. The force on the cleat is born by the bulwark itself. So if the cleat rips out, it is ripping out the side of the boat. I think they are similar to this.
41GX6Y8ZeqL._SY355_.jpg
41GX6Y8ZeqL._SY355_.jpghttp:

Not quite, since the cleat is on the inside of the boat, Hampton puts the cleat in the middle of the gunwale, so you can get at it from in the boat or on the dock.

Here is a better picture of the stanchion, and it is different from Selene since they don't have the large base on the stanchion. I looked around for allen screw holes and none were on the ones I inspected.

Attachments

• hampton railing stanchion closeup.jpg
    hampton railing stanchion closeup.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 88
The hampton cleats are built into the gunwale. You can tie off to the cleat from on the boat or the dock. I found a photo of them on Yachtworld.

They also have bollards tucked into the stern just above the swim platform.

Another cool thing they do is that they have a trench for the shore power cable with a starboard door covering the trench, so you're not going to trip over the cable walking on the swim platform.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-04-10 16.46.36.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-04-10 16.46.36.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 111
Oh, I see how they did it. That would be really convenient for tying off from outside the boat. I love my hawse hole cleats but they are only easily usable from onboard.

Oh, I see how they did it. That would be really convenient for tying off from outside the boat. I love my hawse hole cleats but they are only easily usable from onboard.

It seems like every boat has clever tricks that make cruising easier. Hampton certainly has many of them that I appreciate. And I'm adding quite a few of my own!

Like capturing the front legs of the breakfast bar chairs to keep them from moving around on their own? I think Kadey Krogen should borrow that idea...

Like capturing the front legs of the breakfast bar chairs to keep them from moving around on their own? I think Kadey Krogen should borrow that idea...

We actually deleted those bar stools. We didn't see being able to use them (enough) and didn't want to always have to negotiate around them.

But you are right, it's an example of slick thinking, very practical. Now I'm wishing we would have left at least one.

We actually have another use for this space which I shall reveal later once the boat is ours.

Meanwhile in Beijing...

Attachments

• slowboat.jpg
    slowboat.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 83
Nice burger.

What goes in must come out, and given the recent NDZ thread, had you ever considered adding treatment system to your boat? I would love it in Canadian waters where pump-outs are hard to find.

Nice burger.

What goes in must come out, and given the recent NDZ thread, had you ever considered adding treatment system to your boat? I would love it in Canadian waters where pump-outs are hard to find.

Nope. We have 150 gals black water holding tank. We have Tecma toilets but I am not aware of which model (i.e. water usage). Will find out.

Presume pumping out in open waters like Strait of Georgia is still okay?

Nope. We have 150 gals black water holding tank. We have Tecma toilets but I am not aware of which model (i.e. water usage). Will find out.

Presume pumping out in open waters like Strait of Georgia is still okay?

Yup, it is fine. I’d prefer to have a treatment system so I would know that my effluent is not harmful, but not practical now with the NDZ in our home waters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom