Iveco engine opinions sought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"The engine will telegraph its happy place and that is your cruise speed."

The more normal method of finding cruise RPM is with a BMEP or fuel map from the engine source..

Anywhere in the "bulls eye" will be great , but as displacement boats are easy to cruise ,

lower in the RPM setting will give longest life and least noise.

FF, do not some engines need to be run at something other than low rpm to insure long life? That is what I mean by happy place. I have been driving diesel autos since 2003. If I do not look at the dash, they seem to lead me to apply throttle to take them to that happy place.
My FOrd L seems to like 1800-1900 RPM. Happy place. Agreed there are more scientific-mechanical ways to determine the same thing, no doubt.
Don’t some engines carbon up if not given some exercise?

Hi i have been working as a tractor mecanic in about 30 yars, with Fiat/Iveco/Ford diesel engines. I think i know them very well, the engine is a very good engine. But, they dont like running "light" the engines i know is the 8000 series.3,4,6, cyl. As long as they have cooling water and oil, they are fantastic! They ar build for working. this i my experience.

Who is the authorized Iveco Marine dealer in the US? One who actually sells and services Iveco Marine engines.

And, what new builder for yachts and boats recommends them?

A read of boatdiesel and Seaboard's Iveco threads may be interesting for some.

Last edited:
Many years ago, we replaced an iveco engine and a gasoline air compressor on a road tire service truck with a 5 cylinder Deutz air cooled engine, with a belt drive compressor off the front, and it worked so well that they brought the fleet in for the same treatment. Apparently the 5 cylinder Deutz engine did everything needed, and used less fuel than the previous air compressor did.

My ideal (non Tier III compliant) design would be a trawler with two Deutz 5-6 cylinder air cooled engines. All you need is a good airflow through the engine room to cool them.

The last Deutz engine I overhauled ran over 50,000 more hours pulling an irrigation pump, so I am quite comfortable with them, and their parts network is well stocked.

Be aware that a Deutz industrial engine does not have the balancer and will cause more vibration than a tractor engine. Lots of Deutz tractor engines on the market (check ebay).

My understanding is that the newer computer controlled engines can be run forever at low rpm and moderate loads without "carboning up". Whether the oil gets hot enough to burn off any moisture is another matter, but I doubt that the combustion chambers will fill with burnt on carbon residue.

Who is the authorized Iveco Marine dealer in the US? One who actually sells and services Iveco Marine engines.

And, what new builder for yachts and boats recommends them?

A read of boatdiesel and Seaboard's Iveco threads may be interesting for some.

Sunchaser if a builder recomended them all we’d know is that they were the cheapest engine available. Or that a lot of people think the engine is what the big boys drool over. And that’s just a popularity contest. And very knowledgable posters can be found on BD they are all just opinions ... like here. Better I’ll admit but opinions. Similar to mechanic’s opinions. Frequently quite biased.

By your text I can tell that the opinion of many of those that frequently post on BD the opinion on the Iveco engine is not so hot. The intent I’m sure.
But I’m not convinced there is a significant difference one engine to another. I will admit there are some (very few) marineizers that put out a poor product. I only know of one. So the notion that one need to spend megabucks on the most popular brands is mostly nonsense. Just my opinion of course.

I don’t know anyone else on TF that has a Mitsu but I’d recommend them to anyone. Actually there is Vetus and Westerbeke that use the same engine w a different marineazation. My engine has been flawless. It did quit once but that was a plumbing fault that can’t reflect on the engine. And it hasn’t missed a beat since the pluming was fixed. Buy a Lugger or a Cummins? Waste of money IMO.

Last edited:
"Don’t some engines carbon up if not given some exercise?"

Exercise is not RPM , percent of load on the engine at operating RPM. say 80% of what is proper at that RPM .

1800 RPM with 25% of the rated load at that rpm is no help to the engine.

By using a BMEP or fuel map you are assure of being in the most comfortable most efficient range that the engine mfg documented.

The many tractor engines in TT do well at higher speeds than more modern engine conversions from large trucks as the new motors are torque monsters.

Sure you can spin them to 2100RPM , but the computer will have them hill climbing with a full load at 1200 -1400RPM.

Last edited:
bayview,
Yes it’s a popularity contest inthe USA.
And in the pleasureboat market.
And even more so on TF.

Kids like what’s cool and popular (especially in the US) and of course they grow up (in some ways) and they really don’t change much. If a boatowner overhears a conversation on the dock whereas it’s obvious the big boys worship brand A and maybe C and D .... when it comes time to buy an engine they choose brand A if they can.

Same thing w anchors and a lot of other “right stuff”. We want to be seen w the right stuff and that largely makes us the right stuff.

S of Fortune wrote;
“Iveco/FPT are huge in Europe. Very dependable engine worldwide except in USA, not so much.”
It’s hard to imagine an engine being shipped over changing from good to bad in the crate.
Eric, nothing on the engine changes, certainly not dependability. I was referring to acceptance by owners/public. FPT has a huge following in most of the world. Not so much in the USA. Peter Emerson was the driving force behind FPT entry into the Northeast fish boat market. gained lots of market share in a very conservative audience that puts thousands of hours yearly on equipment. Had Peter not moved to Mack Boring, he would still be moving lots of those engines.

Iveco's are almost bullet proof. Very few external parts.

Powertechengines, MAESO, Yukon (Klassen) have spares:

Iveco diesel engines: HP vs. RPM: Iveco Motors NEF, Cursor, SOFIM HPI, VECTOR, and 8000 series diesel and natural gas Fiat Iveco aifo engines from Powertech Engines Inc.

Iveco Industrial Diesel Engines

Spares easily available in UK, Norway, Denmark etc

Searios,
I bought my engine from Klassen ( in Seattle (parent co in SW Canada)) but now the’ve moved (down the street) to Hatton Engines. We usta eat lunch in Seattle at the Salmon Bay Cafe and Hatton/Yukon is right across the parking lot. Don’t see them much anymore as the cafe is not what it usta be. I suspect Yukon is selling Iveco engines also.
But re spares on the NW Pacific coast including Canada and Alaska I can’t imagine one being in better hands to get parts or service than to be under the Yukon/Klassen umbrella. Don’t know about the east coast though.

The parts used to marinize an engine need to be readily available as much as the engine itself. A low volume of sales does not predict good availability of those parts in the future.

No Willy not because other kids like it but because market success makes for better experience later.

bayview,
Indeed it would seem so and re many questions it does. But market success is largely dependant on people liking a product. Subaru tells us in TV adds that Subaru’s are made with love. Ridiculous but it seems to make people like Subarus. And some concentrate on some aspect of a business and not others. Volvo and their parts issue for example. They are a big successful company but don’t do everything well.
But yes re the marineazation parts. Yukon/Klassen have been doing it for over 50 years. So a low volume of sales does not show lack of success either.

Last edited:
Hi Scott,
Why don't you ask Bill Kimley at Seahorse? They have been fitting Iveco motors to Ducks for a while.
Don't be talked into a motor that is too powerful, as your boat is designed to be easily driven.
Cheers,
Richard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom