Good Bottle for small amount of diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What if you need to change filters and your tanks aren’t full? Asks Mr Murphy

What if you need to change filters and your tanks aren’t full? Asks Mr Murphy

Exactly. Hence my interest in the bulb solution. I’ll get around to it eventually. Like all the other projects on my list.

Squeeze bulb primer, simple, safe, foolproof.
I install all three filters dry, fill everything with around 40squeezes, no chance of contamination, spills, or storage problems.

I also use ATF similar bottles tonmuir I do not reuse them

Pieyed I would love to see a picture of this install very good idea!!

I used a priming pump on a S2 36ft sailboat and on my tractor and farm truck. It makes it very easy to service the fuel system and bleed the air out of the high points. You would install the pump just upstream of the filter banks. after cracking the bleeders I use a push button switch to activate the 12V pump and expel the air as the system fills with fuel. This pump can be hard piped in to your existing fuel line if you are using a steel fuel line. This pump has a direction of flow, built-in check valves and your primary fuel pump can pull fuel through it without any problem. If your tank is below the filter bank this pump will keep the fuel from flowing back to the tank when the fuel system is opened up, causing the system to pull in air. I would not use the pump filter or the plastic hose barbs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YDG26X...&pd_rd_w=sRL0z I tried to post up some photos of my tractor installation but could not make it work. If you need to see the photos PM me and I will send you copies. HTH JD

Last edited:
Rather than adding an electric pump to prime your filters etc... This is the idea that I mentioned earlier by Tony Athens (not that he thought of it but I saw the idea from some of his articles). This is an image of a kit that he sells. I think he sells the kit so he doesn’t have to constantly answer questions as to where someone can find the parts.

It is just a loop that includes a squeeze bulb. In normal operation the valves to the loop are closed. Then you need to prime the filters you open the valves to the loop and close the valve between. Pump the bulb until the filters are full then close off the loop valves and open the center valve. No reason to buy the kit from Seaboard Marine, as you can source all the pieces individually. However for me, I’d much rather buy it from Seaboard to make it easy and to support Tony Athens who has been pretty free with his information and advice (much like Compass Marine Services).

I have not done this yet because with patience I can get my Racors to fill if my fuel tanks are full.
View attachment 74910

I am sure this will work for you. You will be upping your chances for air intrusion by adding a lot of threaded connections in to the fuel system. The 12v pump installation is a lot less busy and I think it would be less $$$$. I am just saying.

Wow lots of great ideas, thanks for all the feedback. my Racors are at a level somewhat near the top of the fuel tanks so I suppose if I fill the tanks all the way to the top, there's a chance gravity would take care of this... maybe i'll try it this spring.

I use one of these for battery water: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=1846

1831.jpg

That’s a great idea! The purpose built battery fillers are hard to come by now and expensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom