Shore power adapters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there are some places where transient slips are 50A 125/250V only, but I would say over half ask what you need so they must have the option whete to put you.

but why not just carry a dumb y splitter.... 50A 125/250V to to 30s on the boat? Usually not much more than $150 to $200.

Last edited:
Well, first of all, it only has 3 prongs so it can never be 250 AND 125.

Maybe this image will help

Attachments

• twistlockchartA.jpg
    twistlockchartA.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 81
there are some places where transient slips are 50A 125/250V only, but I would say over half ask what you need so they must have the option whete to put you.

but why not just carry a dumb y splitter.... 50A 125/250V to to 30s on the boat? Usually not much more than $100.

Yes, this sounds like the best option to make sure I'm covered.

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me what this is? I've heard of 50A 125V, and 50A 125/250V. But never 50A 250V:
4339-albums438-picture4284.jpg

How about this apparently 50A outlet? I know the above plug doesn't fit into it:
4339-albums438-picture4285.jpg

Top one is an L6-50, 250V, single-phase, 2-pole, 3-wire. An odd duck, though. Not NEMA, I don't think.

The other is probably 277, 480, or 600V single-phase, 2-pole, 3-wire.

Edit: Could also be 250V 15A. Those slots look big compared to the diameter of the body, suggesting it's a small, low amperage receptacle.

Last edited:
A TF member from WA who plugged into wrong voltage receptacles in Sidney may weigh in. His vessel suffered some damage.

Michael, dock voltages are not always as they may seem. Be careful, carry the right adapters for your area and be prepared to "suffer" a night or two without AC or other higher voltage on boat items.

Thanks Dennis for pointing out there are never absolutes. This thread clearly illustrates why the new dock codes are a good idea, with modifications to GFCI standards as are now in discussion.

But, Canada will be a decade or two away in dock grounding revamps. BC Hydro is not pell mell rushing into a different set of issues. Not to mention 208 volts which gets into another parallel discussion.

Deleted

Last edited:

but why not just carry a dumb y splitter.... 50A 125/250V to to 30s on the boat? Usually not much more than $150 to $200.

I thought the dumb splitter can pose a danger if plugged into the two 30s that are out of phase, or something like that. Given my knowledge of electricity, I'd probably spend the extra $$ on the smart reverse Y from Marinco that protects you from doing so.

I don't know what to say other than good luck out there. Hopkinton is going through rapid housing developments which you are aware of. The Town started building an elementary school and they had to stop and enlarge the design because of the rapid growth. Ashland is not far behind.

Enjoy yourself out there:thumb:

Moving out to the Bay Area suburb from a Boston suburb was painful. You have to apply the 50/50 rule. 50% less square footage for at least 50% more money. It's nuts out here. Houses are selling for $1,300 per square foot. Unlike Hopkinton and Ashland, there's just no more room to build, and the tech and biotech industries here are booming.

Schools in Mass are way better by the way!

the smart y adaptets are for 2 30s pole side to a 50A 125/350V boat side.

Everyone needs to realize that the voltage/amperage numbers you see on a plug or cord cap only indicate what that plug or cord cap is rated for, not what voltage or amperage is available to you when you plug into said cord cap, plug or receptacle. I have seen instances of 50 amp cord caps rated for 250 volts wired onto cords rated 20 amps and connected to 120 volt breakers. It is imperative that you know the requirements of your electrical system, voltage and amperage, and match your cords and cord caps to those requirements. Also, it would help to check voltage at the receptacle you are plugging into before you connect. If it has a three prong configuration, it is probably 120 volt, hot, neutral and ground. If it is a four prong configuration, it is 208 to 240 volt, two hot legs, a neutral and a ground. You would measure 208 to 240 volts between the two hot legs, approximately 120 volts between a hot leg to neutral, or hot leg to ground. From what I have seen, most boat AC systems will be single phase, 240 volt, which means two hot legs, measuring 240 volts reading hot leg to hot leg, a neutral leg, measuring 120 volts either hot leg to neutral, and a ground, measuring 120 volts either hot leg to ground. If you are familiar with your boat's electrical system, you can make informed decision concerning adapters when plugging into shore power.

the smart y adaptets are for 2 30s pole side to a 50A 125/350V boat side.

Yeah, that's actually what I'd need as I have the 50amp on the boat side.

High Tide products are just a whole lot cheaper than Marinco. I’ve seem and owned some of their products and have not seen any problems.

Yup, agree. I have a few shore power cords from them and they seem to be very high quality - same as Marinco by the look and feel of it.

Just didn't know if the term "dogbone" meant anything specific.

Last fall I bought a Marinco 50 foot 30 amp power cord at West Marine for $90. High Tides was about $40 more through Amazon. About the same differential in a new 50amp 125/250 adaptor.

Guess I need to do a better job of shopping :confused:

Last fall I bought a Marinco 50 foot 30 amp power cord at West Marine for $90. High Tides was about $40 more through Amazon. About the same differential in a new 50amp 125/250 adaptor.

Guess I need to do a better job of shopping :confused:

Depends on what you are buying. In some cases, the High Tide cords are significantly less. For example, right now...

25 ft 50 amp Marinco on Amazon = $410
25 ft 50 amp High Tides = $199

50 ft 50 amp Marinco on Amazon = $418
50 ft 50 amp High Tides = $339

Also, for long cords (High Tides had a 100ft and Marinco had a 75ft
75 ft 50 amp Marinco on Amazon = $671
100 ft 50 amp High Tides = $499

For the adapter I just bought 50amp 125/250v Female to 30amp Male:
Marinco = $155
High Tides = $60

Most of the time you can save a good deal of money and get similar quality. Unfortunately, High Tides doesn't carry a smart Reverse Y, so I'll have to pay a premium for that if I go for one.

EDIT: Seems like the lower length 30amp Marinco cords are less than the High Tide, but once you get into longer lengths the High Tide is less expensive in the 30amp as well.

Last edited:
Michael
Thanks for the prices. Without knowing wire and end metal fitting specs tough to compare. But, HT presents a compelling price advantage as you note. Maybe it's due to their Chinese manufacturing and bulk over water freight rates for raw material (tinned?) products as they mention on their website.

When it comes to splitters I'm not sure about price shopping. For shore cords definitely a factor. With statistics showing the main cause of boat fires are electric related, product quality plays a role, if possible to discern.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom