Almost blind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fajah

Veteran Member
Hello all,

Retirement is approaching, 15 months away, and we have decided trawler life is the life for me, good by city life.

I live in the Pensacola area and am somewhat limited in boats that I can look at live and am going blind looking on line. Right now there is a 1974 Defever 40 in Carrabelle, 3.5 hour drive, for about 50k and a 1993 Jefferson 42 in mobile, 1 hour drive, for 100k that I will look at this week.

anywho, just wanted to say high and will be reading a lot here to learn what I can.

Fajah,

You know, the daddy
Freaky Deaky Dutch
(goldmember, Austin Powers)

So glad to hear you're not literally going blind. Welcome, and good luck in your search.

Welcome aboard. Glad you can still actually see. I had cataract surgery about a year ago and can’t believe how nice it is to see...

Glad to meet you, I’m going deaf.
The average age of participants of this forum might be frighteningly high, you’ll find lots of company with various ailments here!

Glad to meet you, I’m going deaf.
The average age of participants of this forum might be frighteningly high, you’ll find lots of company with various ailments here!

Much like our boats.

Welcome and did you get a chance to look at the one you mentioned?

Welcome and did you get a chance to look at the one you mentioned?

So, I was wrong, the owner was hiding things and he let me make a 600+ mile trip before he did a reveal. Now I will be jaded for sure. On top of that I found the previous listing for the boat where he must have paid about half of what he was asking and he hardly did anything to the boat.

Well he did let it loose the Bimini during hurricane and some gunnel damage, not revealed. Turd.

Back to kissing frogs I guess......

Boat name was "Door to Summer"

That's tough, but in the scheme of things, it's part of the process of finding the right boat.
I looked online endlessly before pounding the pavement.
Even at that, we flew 1000 miles to look at a boat, which we liked, but was unsuited to our anticipated use.
oh well, the bbq was REALLY good.:dance:

Now you have really been welcomed to the work of boating :) But like you said, you have time, and this has been good experience.

Brokers... I once called a broker to ask if a boat was still available. Asked if he was familiar with the boat, he said he was the listing broker. Asked if I could look at it that day, yes. Got on a plane and flew into LA, rented a car, met broker, looked at boat, made an offer. An hour later he calls me and said the boat had sold 2 weeks before and had been sea trialed and surveyed. Kissed that frog...

Brokers... I once called a broker to ask if a boat was still available. Asked if he was familiar with the boat, he said he was the listing broker. Asked if I could look at it that day, yes. Got on a plane and flew into LA, rented a car, met broker, looked at boat, made an offer. An hour later he calls me and said the boat had sold 2 weeks before and had been sea trialed and surveyed. Kissed that frog...
That was no frog. You kissed a toad.

If you go blind you would miss the pearls from our legendary Mr RTF and it would be a pity so take care to your eyes.
On boat subject I would see it on the positive side... better see that the advertised one is a lemon than buy it and be stuck with it, and if you missed one that’s because your one is still waiting for you to find it.

L

Let me explain something to you. The boat finds you, not the other way around. Like wife shopping, she'll know it before you will. I looked for years, but new it was the one when it saw me.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. "If you go blind you would miss the pearls from our legendary Mr RTF and it would be a pity so take care to your eyes."

I'm on it...

200w.gif

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. "If you go blind you would miss the pearls from our legendary Mr RTF and it would be a pity so take care to your eyes."

I'm on it...

200w.gif

LOL My dear RTF you are an infinite source of humorous surprises :)

L

Yes we found out current boat on the way to look at another boat. We flew into BWI and had to drive down the VA and had a couple of hours extra so looked at Yachtworld and stopped to look at our President. Went to look at the other boat and next day stopped back to look at our President again and made an offer.

Yes we found out current boat on the way to look at another boat. We flew into BWI and had to drive down the VA and had a couple of hours extra so looked at Yachtworld and stopped to look at our President. Went to look at the other boat and next day stopped back to look at our President again and made an offer.

Life is full of surprises and this is what makes it so incredibly great :)

L

Vision is clearing up

Sunday, wife and i, visited a boat, locally...wow...spent 2.5 hrs with PO and wife...while walking away from out visit, I told Michelle, "I really liked that boat" she said the same, then i said "we should try to buy that boat", she agreed....we turned around a went back to the boat and made a deal. The survey is this Friday....so excited...we won't be casting off for 15 months or so, that should give us lots of time to make her ours and practice at live aboarding.

44' 1981 Marine Trader

:thumb: Now get a good surveyor that knows what he is doing
Make sure he checks everything...spot light controls, bilge pumps, lights etc
Keeps us posted

Congratulations. Hope it all works out for you two.

Welcome from one newbie to another.

We're also looking for fiberglass trawlers with a single diesel in the 32' - 36' range for living aboard. So far we've narrowed the field to Grand Banks, Albin, CHB, Mainship and Marine Trader. This summer I will be motorcycle camping around the southeast looking for suitable candidates.

Sunday, wife and i, visited a boat, locally...wow...spent 2.5 hrs with PO and wife...while walking away from out visit, I told Michelle, "I really liked that boat" she said the same, then i said "we should try to buy that boat", she agreed....we turned around a went back to the boat and made a deal. The survey is this Friday....so excited...we won't be casting off for 15 months or so, that should give us lots of time to make her ours and practice at live aboarding.

44' 1981 Marine Trader

Any updates? Are you a fellow MT owner or soon to be?

If all goes as plans, today we will complete the deal for the MT44.....Jeff from Florida Survey did one heck of a job. Rated the boat "above average" with a few suggestions.

We plan on closing with the PO and sleeping on the Boat tonight. Very exciting day for us.

Will be back with more later.

If all goes as plans, today we will complete the deal for the MT44.....Jeff from Florida Survey did one heck of a job. Rated the boat "above average" with a few suggestions.

We plan on closing with the PO and sleeping on the Boat tonight. Very exciting day for us.

Will be back with more later.

Post pics as soon as you can

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom