Iveco engine opinions sought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scott2640

Veteran Member
As we get to the framing up stage of the Sea Dreamer Project, the search for an engine has intensified. While not a must, it would be nice to buy and install an engine now while everything is wide open.

If you don't know, I'm a complete rookie with regards to boats and engines. I'm a pretty handy guy, done a few extensive remodels, built some decks, put on some roofs, and wired some houses along with a woodworking hobby that has built most of the furniture in my home.

I have found a 2005 Iveco engine for sale that is described as "surplus", new and never used. The seller is well regarded and claims the engine has been tested and functions properly. A vendor warranty is included.

My ideal engine HP for our Diesel Duck is from around 85HP to 120HP, with this particular engine listed as 98HP. The listed price is under $12,000 plus freight costs.

I've only learned of the Iveco brand from my research as it doesn't have the name recognition like a cummins, John Deere, etc.

My question is what is the quality reputation for this engine company in general? Are parts widely available? Is this based on another larger company and the re-branded with the Iveco name?

My intent is not to start a which engine is superior and have this devolve into an anchor debate. Just would like to know from people with some real trawler experience, particularly with an Iveco power plant, what kind of reputation this engine has.

thanks in advance.

I believe that they are a good engine, bigger in Europe than the US. Is it a marinized engine? If not it will be a significant cost to marinize it.

1000's Iveco trucks in Australia and its not uncommon to see them for sale with 6/700000 km know of a one with 950000km

Greetings,
Mr. 2640. Regardless of the reputation of Iveco power plants and in spite of the fact it has 0 hours, the engine is still 12 years old. I would be concerned about parts availability in the future. I'm sure you've read about someone who needs XXXX part(s) for an engine that may have been quite common "back in the day" who is having a difficult if not impossible time looking for...whatever. Just a thought.

Greetings,
Mr. 2640. Regardless of the reputation of Iveco power plants and in spite of the fact it has 0 hours, the engine is still 12 years old. I would be concerned about parts availability in the future. I'm sure you've read about someone who needs XXXX part(s) for an engine that may have been quite common "back in the day" who is having a difficult if not impossible time looking for...whatever. Just a thought.

Truck engine's remain the same design for many many years the engine in my Mitsubishi 4x4 is the same as 2002 Id say the same for all Japanese engines

Iveco are part of fiat power train FPT. I have recently replaced a 20 year old iveco with a new fpt engine 2017 build tier 3 electronic. Built in Turin Italy.

Where I am located there is a excellent dealer for iveco products.

Do you know model number? I can ask about reputation from them.

My Experiance is with there larger units.

Iveco are part of fiat power train FPT. I have recently replaced a 20 year old iveco with a new fpt engine 2017 build tier 3 electronic. Built in Turin Italy.

Where I am located there is a excellent dealer for iveco products.

Do you know model number? I can ask about reputation from them.

My Experiance is with there larger units.

That would be great, thanks. I believe it's either: F4GE0406A or 211801, both are listed in the ad, I'm guessing the first.

To answer a previous question, I should have mentioned, yes, its marinized but does not include a transmission.

I would be inclined to use a Cummins 6BT at 180 hp, which is the lowest marine rating commonly found. I don’t see the additional hp as a bad thing, your boat will likely cruise nicely on less than 40 of these ponies, but the rest of them will be standing by, harmlessly.
Per your request, I won’t start a pissing match about brands, I’ll just say that I have researched thoroughly, and this is my opinion based on that as well as many years of experience.
So what anchor will you use?

Cummins has a reman program that gives you the amse warranty as a new engine. Might take a look at them.

I'd suggest asking the same question on boatdiesel. And peruse their threads and articles. Iveco's reputation is not encouraging for the NA market but make up your own mind.

For a single engine vessel a robust, well known and current build would be my choice. Lots to choose from.

See if parts are available where you plan on cruising. If you hire your mechanical work also see if mechanics are available. Not just anybody that claims to be a mechanic.

If the boat has the yacht style seawater/heat exchanger ,,wet exhaust the Iveco engine should be fine. Especially if a world tour is coming.

Fiat is not as world wide as Detroit , but parts should be available for a few decades.

You might wish to stockpile some now.And purchase the BIG full shop manual "Da Book"

If the boat has a keel cooling / dry stack setup as found more on commercial boats , the engine selection be comes far less expensive.

J Deer makes good engines and the farm tractor folks hold sales of factory rebuilt engines , no core required, at great (for JD ) prices.

Cummins also has deals on new long blocks that are inexpensive.

Look in Boats and Harbors for deals

Personally I would use an international DT 366 , out of an under 10,000 mile skool bus .
These can be has in the $3,000 range with wiring.

A proper sized Twin Disc , from a rebuilder and I would be set.

For resale the JD would create the highest value.

The marinization side of the Fiat block is easy enough to assess for normal spare parts availability. In the PNW call Gallery Marine and ask them for price and availability for:

-- raw water pump
-- raw water pump impeller
-- coolant pump
-- engine heat exchanger
-- transmission heat exchanger

Have the model and serial number available for reference. If Gallery cannot easily find the parts you need, suggest you think twice.

A 12 year old unused engine is not new. Where and how it was stored is one thing, rotating parts unturned for this long bear scrutiny.

Also, building the boat around a used questionable engine may be problematic. Have you considered Beta Marine, Perkins Sabre or Yanmar. They make great Four cylinder marine engines in your HP range. A bit larger but equally acceptable is a reman 6BT Cummins. All come with factory warranty with readily available spare parts. Perkins Sabre is owned by Cat.

Last edited:
I'm a wood guy and am very comfortable in that world, I envy the gear heads who know about the engine stuff. I have a good friend who has a lift, big into cars, It seems like a great hobby but I'm already spending enough money.

A 12 year old unused engine is not new. Where and how it was stored is one thing, rotating parts unturned for this long bear scrutiny.

Also, building the boat around a used questionable engine may be problematic. Have you considered Beta Marine, Perkins Sabre or Yanmar. They make great Four cylinder marine engines in your HP range. A bit larger but equally acceptable is a reman 6BT Cummins. All come with factory warranty with readily available spare parts. Perkins Sabre is owned by Cat.

The above is good advice. I can hear my grandfather saying, "engines were meant to be used" While I won't pretend to know any facts but it seems that engines just sitting is not a good thing. Seals, hoses and stuff deteriorate even when they arent being used.

I appreciate the other comments and we love the Beta 85 but not the $25,000 price. We like the perkins as well. My neighbor loves the Cummins.

Would it be a concern to go the 6bt 180 HP route and regularly use so little of its power? I know some engines require you to take it up to full rpm for a certain percentage of engine life but I think I would be darn close to idle speed most of the time. I can't remember where but I have heard the 4bt does not have the best reputation.

Cummins has a reman program that gives you the amse warranty as a new engine. Might take a look at them.

Cummins recon can't be legally installed in a new build. I know,I know, I know, your going to say who would ever know?...Do you want to lose a buyer at resale time because of this issue? I wouldn't want that monkey on my back during my ownership. A surveyor is certainly going to bring it to light. I love Cummins recon program.Those engines have a great warranty and reputation, virtually new engine.

Here is a brand new 4 cylinder Cummins, on sale from Cummins, warranty and all for $9k.
How in the world can you top that? 160 hp.

https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

I am thinking keel cooled off the engine water pump with a separate electric raw water pump to the exhaust mixer elbow; separate systems. No pesky heat exchanger, just appropriately sized in both length and diameter, pipe carrying engine coolant looped around the keel. Or a commercially designed keel cooler. Either way seems sensible.

Last edited:
Mule

The 2.6 Cummins is a light duty ski boat engine at best. I'd guess the OP is looking for a commercial rated diesel

It is a truck_tractor engine. With proper prop and transmission ratio why would it not work just fine? He is not after speed, and as long as it is not overloaded seems like there should not be a problem
Look at the specs at the torque rating for 1500 to 3000 RPM,
267 ft lbs. is that sufficient?

You may be right, I looked @ Kubota 115 hp @3.7 liter vs Cummins 2.8 liter. @160 hp.... hummmmm

Last edited:
Cummins recon can't be legally installed in a new build. I know,I know, I know, your going to say who would ever know?....

Assuming you are meaning that non emission compliant engine is not legal, it *** IS *** legal in the US to use such an engine in a home build. At least it was a year or so ago when I was reading through the EPA regulations. I believe the OP is building his own boat.

Later,
Dan

Assuming you are meaning that non emission compliant engine is not legal, it *** IS *** legal in the US to use such an engine in a home build. At least it was a year or so ago when I was reading through the EPA regulations. I believe the OP is building his own boat.

Later,
Dan

I was referring to the Tier emmissions standard. I wasn't aware that home built boats were exempt, I stand corrected.

Scott,
Call Yukon Power Systems.
206 784 0148
They mostly sell Isuzu and Mitsubishi but they usually have other engines like Iveco. They sortof avoid the pleasureboat market. I’ve heard tales of some of the stuff they get from yachtsmen at the boat shows. They service the fishing fleet in Canada and Alaska. If you have their engine and need parts out in the bush they have been servicing fishermen for over 50 years. The first time I saw one of their engines in a boat it was in 1972 in the Queen Charolette Islands. It was a 6 cyl Isuzu going into a fisheries patrol boat that was being built in Masett where I was teaching shop.
When I repowered my Willard I chose a Mitsubishi (37hp S4L2) but really wanted a 54hp Isuzu. I just didn’t need that much power and thought it would be silly to put more power into the boat than I would need. In the end I decided I could have done the same thing (operationally) that I did do if I had chosen a 33hp Mitsu. It’s the same engine as the 37hp but w a slightly shorter stroke.
Never had even a small problem with my engine or Yukon.
If you call them they may ask if you are a fisherman. I told them I was. I thought it was a joke. Sitll not sure.
Oh I forgot. One of the things I like about yukon engines is the steel exhaust manifold. When I bought my engine they only had to replace one of all the manifolds they had been putting out there over all these years. It’s some special steel alloy. Can’t remember the name of it. Think it’s a nickel alloy.
Anyway it means there’s no aluminum that the coolant comes in contact with. That I consider a plus.

Last edited:
Iveco are one of the biggest truck engine manufacturers in Europe.
Italian
v no idea
engine
company

If you are driving the Autostrada in Italy, 3 of every 4 trucks is IVECO. Huge in France, Portugal, maybe the rest of Europe.

In North America, not so much.

Yup Iveco trucks and land based engines all over the world. The question though is a marine engine, particularly a 12 year old stored engine. Iveco has largely given up in this very small NA marine market.

Mule, the motor you linked to is not a B series Cummins motor, but a high revving lightweight newcomer designed for the sporty market.
I’m not saying that motor is no good, or that it can’t be used for a trawler application, just that it’s not what I’m familiar or comfortable with recommending.
While I have high regard for Cummins B 6 cyl mechanical motors, the 4 cylinder is not as desirable IMO.
It is not as smooth, and being short two cylinders, it has to work harder to move your boat, so it’s life expectancy is reduced.
There is nothing wrong with running the 180/210 at reduced throttle settings, mine cruises between 1400-1800 99.9% of the time, and keeps adequate temperature and oil pressure while loafing in its “quiet zone”.
EGT and noise levels spike at just over 1800, so I call that high cruise speed, gets her up to 9 knots or so depending on conditions.

I was referring to the Tier emmissions standard. I wasn't aware that home built boats were exempt, I stand corrected.

Reman Cummins (supposedly with paper) certify emissions standards meet year of original manufacture. Tony Athens could answer question for sure. Maybe purchase through him if this route taken.

Kapnd... I see your point. I was under the impression that if gearing and prop putting the engine at its happy place in both torque and rpm would give long life. Stress either by operating outside its happy place will likely cost ya. The engine will telegraph its happy place and that is your cruise speed. Top rpm in Gear set less factory reccomended reduction vs wot in neutral. Am I missing anything.
The above considerations are exceptionally important for marine applications insofar as a boat is always going uphill.

I had a 34 Mainship with a 250 Cummins 5.9. Great engine.

Future scenario.

You are selling the boat and the customers have a choice between an Iveco and a Cummins powered boat, in the US. Which do you think they would choose???

bayview,
Yes it’s a popularity contest inthe USA.
And in the pleasureboat market.
And even more so on TF.

Kids like what’s cool and popular (especially in the US) and of course they grow up (in some ways) and they really don’t change much. If a boatowner overhears a conversation on the dock whereas it’s obvious the big boys worship brand A and maybe C and D .... when it comes time to buy an engine they choose brand A if they can.

Same thing w anchors and a lot of other “right stuff”. We want to be seen w the right stuff and that largely makes us the right stuff.

S of Fortune wrote;
“Iveco/FPT are huge in Europe. Very dependable engine worldwide except in USA, not so much.”
It’s hard to imagine an engine being shipped over changing from good to bad in the crate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom