Westerbeke 3 cylinder generator repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the Westerbeke 8BTD the stop switch releases the solenoid. Opposite to what you are thinking. It is a two stage solenoid with a Pull On and a Hold coil. When you turn it on it should Pull in and after it starts it should hold until you hit the stop switch. It should always be on while the generator is running. If the solenoid is bad or the linkage is corroded you can wire it in place in the pulled in position and it will allow fuel to flow.

You should also hear the fuel pump clicking when the switch is turned on. If not, the fuel pump may be bad. There are two models used in that unit, round and square, not interchangeable.

If the above two conditions are not present it will never start.

If your controls are at the genny it is a one man job but if you are at a remote switch you may need a second person at the unit listening for the fuel pump and watching the solenoid activate when the switch is turned to On and start.

Last edited:
Tell us what model gennie it is. Or post a pic of the side of the gennie engine showing the injection pump side.

tell us what model gennie it is. Or post a pic of the side of the gennie engine showing the injection pump side.

IMG_5591.JPG

Upside down. Sorry. I’ll take a better one next time I’m there.

I would love to know what model it is and have looked. I have another one that was in there that got wet. It had the engine that was belted to the generator and I bought this one from a friend that said it runs great and haven’t been able to start it. It has the generator attached to the end like most generators and quite a bit lighter. He said it’s a 6.5 kw

You post a pic and it puts two are three of the same picture in.

Yes the fuel pump is coming on and the filter is clean. One man job. I’ll post a picture of it when I get over there tomorrow. I have to work today.

I sure hope it starts when I just pull on the synoid. All the leakages work fine.

Looks like Westerbeke 8BTD series. Solenoid pulls to run, releases to stop.

But I sure thought it was like my ford and pulled on to shut down.

When at first I tried to start it the stop synoid pulled on and ever since it hasn’t and I just thought it was trying to shut down last time it was on. Go figure.

I’ve had lots of Yanmars and they are the same. Stop synoid.

So this is back Ass backwards?

Yes, It is different to what you were thinking but it is a good system as the fuel is OFF when there is no power to the solenoid.

Could you tell what model I have? The other one that was in there is different and I don’t have and intake box. Was trying to make one out of the other one but it’s bigger. It’s supposed to be a 6.5 kw too.

Wow. Sure hope she just starts up. I have a new AC that I’m putting in under the bunk and want to run my new AC down here soon. Going to get hot.

Bought a new 9000 MarinAire.

Just got it yesterday so have some work to do. Had a 9000 Webasto

Its definitely a BTD or BTDA model. There are several KW versions. The fuel solenoids work the same. Energize to RUN. Opposite of your Ford. When you hold the PREHEAT/START switch to PREHEAT, the solenoid pulls in TO THE LEFT. If its not moving you found at least one problem.
Which fuel filter did you change? There are TWO!
Also if it once pulled in and now will not, try pushing the STOP switch first, release, then go to PREHEAT for a few seconds. Don't preheat too long. 30 sec is the max.

Last edited:
Yes that switch was bad too. I would push it and nothing happens. Checked continuity and none so made another and then there was only one good glow plug. Took one from the last generator and bought one off amazon.

The guy I bought it from was and old diesel mechanic and said he rebuilt it. Looks like the head has been done. I let it sit a year in my garage and should of tried to start it then but assumed it ran and pulled the old one out and dropped this one in. I hope I didn’t just make weight.

There’s another switch on the panel that when in the down position the pump comes on but the light is off and in the middle nothing happens so off and in the up position the pump and the light comes on. Then you push the start button for it to crank over??

I can push the start button down are up. I just assumed you push it only when the light is on??

Then I think there’s one that says emergency shut down and when you push it the synoid comes on??

So makes since that the synoid needs to be off ??

Have to look but think there’s only one diesel filter on it.

There is afilter on the fuel pump. You have the round pump so see post 13 in this thread

At this point I have to assume no manual.
Can you post a picture of your control panel?
No idea what light you are referring to.

Back
Top Bottom