Where to buy furniture for trawlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monk36

Vessel Name
Dot Calm
Any thoughts of any online stores specializing in marine furniture? I have a 32 Island Gypsy and I have torn out the very uncomfortable sofa in the salon in hopes of finding a hide a bed sofa and some sort of table to replace the stock table that I tore out of my boat. Just took up too much room.

I have to order NEW and make sure it's a piece that I can assemble so it will fit in the aft door which is quite narrow.

Wondering if anyone has some good ideas?
Thanks

We have a Flexsteel sofa in our boat that we are pretty sure is for RVs. Pretty sure it's real leather. We are looking to get it refinished. It's a very comfortable piece of furniture, just showing a bit of age.

http://www.flexsteel.com/for-recreation/marine

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Any thoughts of any online stores specializing in marine furniture? I have a 32 Island Gypsy and I have torn out the very uncomfortable sofa in the salon in hopes of finding a hide a bed sofa and some sort of table to replace the stock table that I tore out of my boat. Just took up too much room.

I have to order NEW and make sure it's a piece that I can assemble so it will fit in the aft door which is quite narrow.

Wondering if anyone has some good ideas?
Thanks

Ikea? :hide:

Wifey B: You can't hide forever.....:angry::horse:

Actually they do some smaller items or design to the size you want. Might have something. I don't know. Place freaks me out. I'm not a Scandinavian type girl I guess. Blonde and blue eyes apparently isn't enough.

Look also at furniture designed and sold for NY apartments. Crate and Barrel has some.

We have 2 chairs in the salon from Ikea. They replaced 2 Lazy Boy recliners for 20% of the cost and are more comfortable.

Also check our the big RV dealers as FF mentioned. We had a custom couch built when we had the Mainship.

Must be a KK42 thing. I've got the same "Poang" chair that Larry has. Fallen asleep many evenings in it.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Many on line RV places will offer what is called zero clearence items.

This means a recliner or a couch can be an inch from a wall, and still operate.

Many also offer tables that can change height or unfold.

Here is one with a display in FL.

Villa Lift Euro Recliner, Glastop Inc.

Great suggestion! Two years ago we has glastop make us a sofa and 2 barrel chairs for the boat. Plenty of storage under cushions, quality fabrics from Sunbrella and easy installation once inside the salon through our narrow doorway.:thumb:

and easy installation once inside the salon through our narrow doorway.:thumb:

The RV items suffer from the same space restrictions , so lots of stuff can be taken apart to get it aboard.

RV is usually cheaper and more selection. However, we re upholster the old. Maybe change the style comfort. Big cheap we did it ourselves. :thumb:

I just installed this from rooms to go
IMG_0789.jpg

Also consider there are furniture movers that specialize in dismantling furniture for moving it into tight accommodations. Adds expense, of course, but could be useful if you find a piece you like that won't otherwise fit through the door.

Our boat came with a Flexsteel sofabed; mattress pulled out to make a queen sized bed... but then that took up the whole saloon. Anyway, the back was removable, so it was fairly easy to move it out the door when we sold it.

A jackknife model would have taken up less space, but I suspect they're not dismantle-able... and we didn't have space in that alcove for a full-length model anyway.

FWIW, I replaced the sofabed with rocker/recliner Laz-Y-Boy chairs of the electric variety (infinite adjustment, but then requires power). These do recline to become almost bed-flat... but I also learned that "zero clearance" is sometimes more of a marketing term than a physical specification. OTOH, they work fine for normal circumstances, and if we really need to recline one fully, it's not difficult to temporarily pull it out slightly further from the bulkhead first. The chairs were delivered with backs not yet assembled... and the store guys put everything together once on board.

It happens I also wanted recliners because the sofabed made opening the engine hatch on that side a really major chore: shift the 200 lb (?) sofa, store it somewhere/somehow, etc. I usually needed help to do that, whereas with the separate recliners and I can it all myself.

-Chris

Guess you can count us in the Ikea group. I never really had much interest in their stuff but we wanted to replace the sofa in our salon. Turned out that Ikea had an L-shaped sofa that had storage under one side and a pull out that converted the whole thing into a queen-sized bed. And all for $600. Once assembled, it fit into the space like it had been made for it. I'm now a believer. Could be something for you to consider.

I think on my AT34 I need two tip outs. LOL

I've been on a quest to find something comfortable to sit on in my Prairie 36. I have just about 24" from the outside bulkhead to the engine room hatch. Just not enough for any mass-produced product I've ever seen. What's worse is the bulkhead ("wall") is slightly inclined so the base is wider than where the back of the couch would be.

I spent a fortune having an "expert" upholsterer create new cushions taking all this into consideration. It was a massive waste of money. They look great, but are still uncomfortable. Turns out he was an expert at antique furniture, not comfy furniture!

Ome of our absolute requirements for our boats is no builtin furniture. We both have back problems and we use recliners on the boat. Currently we have Ekorne Stressless recliners on board. Love them.

I've been looking at these module sofas that you assemble yourself. The back door on our boat is really narrow and these should fit without taking the whole back end of salon apart
https://www.homereserve.com/index

Ome of our absolute requirements for our boats is no builtin furniture. We both have back problems and we use recliners on the boat. Currently we have Ekorne Stressless recliners on board. Love them.

I’m with you. I can’t stand builtins.
Especially dinettes. I. Sure our old boat at some point in time had some built ins but thankfully an owner before us did away with them. We had a custom slip covered down couch in the salon and a very cute antique table and 4 chairs in the salon. It fit the look and feel of the boat very well.
The new boat has flexsteel furniture that we like.

"Currently we have Ekorne Stressless recliners on board."'

How are they secured against motion?

Ikea
Newer boats that have upgraded furniture and selling off the oem stuff(love my mainship leather couch from a 2008).
RV furniture(overpriced/underbuilt)
Build your own "built ins" and have them upholstered or custom cushions.

I’m with you. I can’t stand builtins.
Especially dinettes. I. Sure our old boat at some point in time had some built ins but thankfully an owner before us did away with them. We had a custom slip covered down couch in the salon and a very cute antique table and 4 chairs in the salon. It fit the look and feel of the boat very well.
The new boat has flexsteel furniture that we like.

How would you rate the flexsteel for nap-ability?

I've been looking at these module sofas that you assemble yourself. The back door on our boat is really narrow and these should fit without taking the whole back end of salon apart

I dunno about this stuff. It looks like crazy cheap construction. I would be interested if it is comfortable at all. Still, the custom config and under seat storage is hard to pass up. Bess has search far and wide for a good new sofa. this fits the bill very well, but I am skeptical.

Having furniture built in solves several problems. It doesn't move when rolling, you can build in storage and you can make it to fit your idea of comfort. I had 2 couches and replaced them with built-ins I made. The seat is high enough for a 70 year old to get out of easily, I have a lot of storage under the seats, and they don't move around, but can be unfastened if necessary for repairs/cleaning. One is long enough to take a nap or sleep an extra guest. I store my long guns hidden in one of the backs and both have a small forced air heater enclosed. I hated the old couches. Your knees were higher than your waist when sitting.

Kim and I just purchased this system from Home Reserve and found it real comfy, lots of storage and built pretty good. Will have a vid of the install coming soon. Kim likes it and that's all that really counts. Fit the space we had

We have our Stressless recliners on top of an area rug that has a nonskid pad underneath the rug. The recliners have a circular base that digs into the rug and the chairs stay put, so far. We have had the boat rolling pretty badly and they have not moved yet.

We had Flexsteel couches and loveseats in a home about 12 years ago. They were recliners and were very comfortable. We bought them at Sears and for some unknown reason bought an extended warranty. In about 1.5 years the leather started cracking in many areas. Sears gave our money back after Flexsteel told us to take a hike.

Back
Top Bottom