Watch berth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sugardog

To any that have a Watch Berth in the pilot house, do you ever use it? How about bench seating?

Yes, I have an elevated watch berth /bench seat. I have used it. On rare occurrences when I have guests, it becomes the peanut gallery.

Ted

Greeting,
Mr. S. Yes, we do have a watch berth and we do use it when cruising. We have as yet to use it, as probably intended, as a place to lie down/rest/sleep on long passages. Mostly "peanut gallery" as Mr. OC so aptly describes it.

Don't make it too comfortable. Otherwise some people traveling at night on autopilot tend to fall asleep.

We have one and we use it. We also have a bench seat. On day time long passages, we alternate taking naps. It keeps you there, but out of the way.

Never had one before. New boat has a bench seat and table aft of the helm which I was also envisioning as a peanut galley when guests are aboard. I do a lot of solo running, so never gave it too much thought. I have memories of being "roused for watch" in the middle of the night, which was another reason I wanted to eventually end up shoreside.

Seems to be a good place to put newbies to learn, yet out of controls way and not falling around with roll.
That is, not always sleeping, but crossed legged/seated and observing.

The large L shaped sette in our salon is a great watch berth. Naps and longer are common for off watch crew especially with big screen TV in charting mode so dozers can see all is well without raising head.

I have found watch berth in the larger and higher Nordavns to have too much movement in big waves for my liking so I end up snoozing in the salon on those too.

I have found watch berth in the larger and higher Nordavns to have too much movement in big waves for my liking so I end up snoozing in the salon on those too.

I often wondered about the bridges on the larger N's and what the ride was like up there when it was rougher. Never spent anytime on them, just at the dock.

On rare occurrences when I have guests, it becomes the peanut gallery.

Ted

That's a good one. I can imagine some of my guests back there making comments on my nautical skills (Or lack thereof).

We don't have a watch berth per se, but we do have two long seating areas aft of the helm seat. On one return trip from Portland my wife was at the helm and I plopped my tired ol' butt on the aft seat and napped for about two hours. Close enough that if she needed me all she had to do was call out.

She falls asleep in a minute when we're on the boat so if we're just out for a day trip she will lie down a fall asleep for a short nap.

Here are the watch berths in action on my old Hatteras as I made my way down Chesapeake Bay on my maiden voyage with two ocean crosser captains:

kZvThqNCRJ1UGpE7ksHxO137Nd8J5mEWzpA9sFIv7hJR_fzURKJ3TBO0_Dr6cjPoo01pfHYTbvdSpFgbR3jwVzWUelSvS2JLtpHZMRbXxn3gotgnjacJ8iQKCxBAPchnYbyeiZGxL-DJ7HyVQdY4dYC9cryuOUv6XMpy6JVzn4F3Z5tBSWDM6O7JGJZ8skIwm98E-NKgnVWHTywfzb4lTNQzD7g00-4b65RyhacCLcGNdhI075l3GHStQwtQF10O7HB3ItnHjzo_opse2hE6rdYGbSlnaCS5LD56tQrbFoRWwSRsY0hHgV8FU-teIAtSHjMSA9jXBTRxxejMBUbcUjjSuB2fKh5NTF8V88QtPRtusyf8X430o7uf-ZxiyZLC0pW2seZRTTEiNSzpkx8Zh8hFcxyNKMeG79U__vk61XMmSdyczja21I4Dlq4H1weq2Rp16C9KgHjzBXsjvo4tcZcfHsFXMvg3Ayvjvgst5uiP4N4jujOFDnQx13-IoyEofrHByqzB6mDM8tj-dPoSx9fpe9lqtXE8i3qaHw9cTOPHvuql8RgmF_P7sp61knTGeEmCRbubndfHEeKf6po-pVoyotdV6IpfJeItnX4=w1000-h750-no

As for the helm I really like having a two person helm seat, or on the flying bridge, three seat in a row I don't think I could do a boat with only one and the rest of the crew to the rear.

Last edited:
We have a settee that 3-4 people can sit at behind the helm seat. My wife almost always sits there when underway. She can see the helm electronics and out the pilothouse windows. When I was sick a few years ago, I slept on the bench while she drove.
During night passages, it can be a place to nap while the other drives but we have not used it that way too much.
Behind the settee is a berth/watch cabin - queen size bed and head. This is our guest room where many visitors have stayed.

We have one and on long trips use it as intended, I like to be "available" when Michelle is at the helm, even though she is competent.

We have a settee that 3-4 people can sit at behind the helm seat. My wife almost always sits there when underway. She can see the helm electronics and out the pilothouse windows. When I was sick a few years ago, I slept on the bench while she drove.
During night passages, it can be a place to nap while the other drives but we have not used it that way too much.
Behind the settee is a berth/watch cabin - queen size bed and head. This is our guest room where many visitors have stayed.

The GH has one of the best layouts for a bench and watch berth that I've seen. Even the smaller GH36 has a great one. I'm very jealous.

Similar to us
Replace queen with king and its our main cabin.

We have an “off watch” berth in a cabin in the pilot house. It gets used whenever we do overnight runs and also for the occasional anchor watch. It’s also been used by guests who have a few too many dark n stormys.

Yep, we have a pilot berth. It's typically Molly's spot. Engine starts, she's on the pilot berth. When we head off the boat and she has watch by herself, she keeps an eye out from the pilot berth. She'll share it with mom, but not me. It's a great spot for a nap underway, guests who find the guest stateroom bunks a little claustrophobic can opt for the pilot berth. The view in the morning is pretty awesome!

Attachments

• DSCN1551.jpg
    DSCN1551.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 79
We have a full width raised bench in the PH , but it has no lee cloths so would be dangerous as underway berth.

A 4 ft drop would be a rude awakening!

After watching several Sea Venture utube videos, my search for a boat will definitely include a large pilot house with seating and berth. My whole boating life, except USN, was SE coast and Caribbean. Can you say warm? The cold and wet NW where I’d like to visit will necessitate it. In my experience, guests usually want to be on the fly bridge or pilot house.

We have a full width raised bench in the PH , but it has no lee cloths so would be dangerous as underway berth.

A 4 ft drop would be a rude awakening!

My guess is that if you were in a sea with enough fore and aft pitching to toss someone from the berth, they wouldn’t be sleeping anyway.

"My guess is that if you were in a sea with enough fore and aft pitching to toss someone from the berth, they wouldn’t be sleeping anyway"

You would be amazed!!!!

With a snug lee cloth , and a secure dry berth sleep is easy.

With a extra cushion or two for head and shoulders even rolling in a lubber , athwart ship berth can be slept thru.

Last edited:
I managed to sleep on an LST in the Atlantic and the Med for three years, I guess I can sleep most anywhere.

Our pilothouse has both an L settee and an off-watch berth behind the settee. As you can see both get used often but the crew is pretty useless on watch.

Attachments

• dogsonboat.jpg
    dogsonboat.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Our pilothouse has both an L settee and an off-watch berth behind the settee. As you can see both get used often but the crew is pretty useless on watch.

Ha, looks like my boat. That looks like a lot of pent up energy there.

Back
Top Bottom