1980 Mainship 34 MK1 Onan Genset Removed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky1

Hello! Just purchased a 1980 Mainship 34 which originally had an Onan genset. There is now a hole where it used to be. A lot of the electrical has been updated, but the original genset control panel is still there. It has an outlet and generator selectable switch. Can this panel be eliminated? Thank you!

You could eliminate the source switch but I opted to include a switch to select between the inverter & shore power. Lots of inverters have a automatic switch built in but ours doesn't and honestly I wouldn't want the automatic switch feature anyway.
Congratulations on your new purchase!

You could eliminate the source switch but I opted to include a switch to select between the inverter & shore power. Lots of inverters have a automatic switch built in but ours doesn't and honestly I wouldn't want the automatic switch feature anyway.
Congratulations on your new purchase!

Boomerang, thank you very much for your reply! So in essences, this is an AC source selector panel. I assume outlet means shore power. I'll have to see if the inverter runs through this panel. The labeling is a little Spartan.

The other question with which you may be able to shed some light is that of the tank or can labelled Onan under the stern deck. It was not removed with the genset. It has a 2 inch rubber hose leading toward the area where the genset used to be located which is disconnected and not capped. Too big for a fuel line. Do you think it is an exhaust? Should I remove It? For additional storage space?

Thank you so much again for your response!

It sounds like the "tank" is a muffler and the line is the exhaust hose. I would pull it all out and plug it where it exits the transom.

Back
Top Bottom