Must you clear out of the Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Pelican

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Bay Pelican
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
We, two American citizens, will be leaving the Bahamas and heading for the US. Are we required to clear out of the Bahamas? Would the US care?

We cleared in and obtained a one year cruising permit in the Southern part of the Bahamas and now will be leaving from the Northern part, a long way from any port of entry.

Our arrival in the US will be West Palm Beach.

Should turn in your Immigration cards at the last dock visited. Although, I have heard of folks forgetting and not had issues. Not me, of course.

We were told last year, we could just mail the forms etc. back to the Bahamas. We did so from Key west. We have the SVRS stickers and were able to clear in with just a phone call from Key West.

What do you mean by a SRVS "sticker?"

Do you mean DTOPS decal?

I will bet 95% of cruisers don't bother to clear out of the Bahamas when leaving for the US. The US doesn't care unlike most countries if you have cleared out or not before entering.

David

SVRS, its small vessel reporting system. You interview and get approved ahead of time for re entry to the US from foreign ports. You get a card to accompany your passport. I think it is affiliated with the dtops decal. It is used in PR, USVI, and of course the continental US. So just a phone call usually. Aside from PR, where they were jerks, it has served us well.

Having been out for awhile it may have changed again. I recently read smething about a new app that must be used, and also a necessary float plan filing.

I have never cleared out of the Bahamas in hundreds of trips.

The last three years we never checked out of the Bahamas and the US only asked for our last country. Lake Worth is an easy check in with Customs open 8-4 and close to the inlet. Arriving after hours is not a problem. They just want a phone call once you’ve tied up to a marina or drop the hook.

That SRVS deal sure saved me lots of time. Was able to check into the US coming from the Bahamas as soon as I got in phone range. There was a snafu with my son’s paperwork but the customs guy was incredibly helpful. Was able to sent him a pic of his passport with my phone and he used that.

I didn’t check out of the Bahamas. Didn’t know I needed to do that!

How long do the personal cards last? I know the boat decal needs to be renewed every year.

TIA

Which Personal Card?

I guess I'm a bit confused here?

We, two American citizens, will be leaving the Bahamas and heading for the US. Are we required to clear out of the Bahamas? Would the US care?

We cleared in and obtained a one year cruising permit in the Southern part of the Bahamas and now will be leaving from the Northern part, a long way from any port of entry.

Our arrival in the US will be West Palm Beach.
You can mail it in! I did 10 years ago.

The cards (SVRS) have no expiration, just a personal number assigned to you. You have to apply, interview, then get card. It allows re entry with only a phone call. Although they reserve the right to have you present yourself. It was run by customs and border control when I did it. I can update it’s usefulness when I return to the USA.

Your blog link describes it perfectly. Did you interview? If you did you were given a caed with a number which you give when you call in. Or you didn’t, and you show up in person.

The decal is a re entry fee, nothing else.

Clearer?

No card given, but email received with the confirmation that the number assigned during application was now s SVRS number.

I did it 3 years ago before leaving US. Probably has changed since then. But if you interviewed and got a number that is the LBO or SVRS program.

Thanks Sealife, I still have my card so I guess I’m good to get back in without a hassle.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom