Lehman Air Filter Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

After reading Nigel's Diesel book, all about "clean, clean, clean" (including the air for combustion)... I looked at my air cleaner (if you want to call it that) on my Lehman 120. The foam was soaked, in tatters, took that off to find the metal screen cage, full of rust, foam bits, paint chips etc.. So of course I did a complete service, cleaned the cage and put on a new foam sleeve.

Got to thinking... has anyone found an after market air filtration unit (K&N etc.) that will fit the Lehman?

Dave

Greetings,
Mr. DE. I use foam sleeves meant for Shop Vacs. Cheap and readily available. They fit right over the wire screen. ER's are usually fairly dust free unless, I suspect, you're boating Baja near shore and it's windy or your central vac system is in the ER and you blow a filter bag.

Walker Engineering in California makes a FL 120 filter. Too much money for me at $6XX.

My Lehman air filter story: Last year we had a lot of smoke and ash in the San Juan's from forest fires in BC and eastern Washington. Suddenly I start seeing a lot of unburned fuel in the water behind the boat. After thinking about this problem for a few days, decided to inspect my foam air filters. They didn't look real bad but cleaned both, let dry, and reinstalled. Unburned fuel problem gone.

K & N filter the PO put on...

have to adapt it with a short piece of hose but works fine.

I dont dother oiling it as it isnt that dusty in my engine room snd the Lehman produces plenty of oil in a few hundred hours.

K & N filter the PO put on...

have to adapt it with a short piece of hose but works fine.

I dont dother oiling it as it isnt that dusty in my engine room snd the Lehman produces plenty of oil in a few hundred hours.

Send a picture next time you're there if you remember. :)

here....

Attachments

• 20180328_164243.jpg
    20180328_164243.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I currently use the shop vac foam, but would be interested in a K&N.
It would be nice to know the K&N part number.....

And price of the K&N.

Donaldson truck filters. Any truck parts place or online.

WOW,

Interest! I thinks me shall make this a project and share it with my fellow Lehman 120 owners. I'll send pictures and data. :thumb:

Dave

I will look tomorrow when finishing up my oil change, dont think there are any part numbers but will try and mic some diameters.

Most marine diesels don't have air filters, just an air silencer. My Detroit mains, Onan & Perkins generators came with air silencers. Unless you're somewhere getting dust from the land, air filters are unneeded and restrict the airflow.

Hi All,

After reading Nigel's Diesel book, all about "clean, clean, clean" (including the air for combustion)... I looked at my air cleaner (if you want to call it that) on my Lehman 120. The foam was soaked, in tatters, took that off to find the metal screen cage, full of rust, foam bits, paint chips etc.. So of course I did a complete service, cleaned the cage and put on a new foam sleeve.

Got to thinking... has anyone found an after market air filtration unit (K&N etc.) that will fit the Lehman?

Dave

Yes, like Xbank and psneeld, I got sick of the messy oily foam thingy after replacing it twice, and just went for a nice big blue - ended truck pod filter. It slipped onto the original mount perfectly and just needed one large hose clip to secure it. I didn't worry about the rocker cover scavanger tube - just not an issue in my already fairly...well...let's just say, "unpristine" ER. :thumb:

I'll add a pic later at home if I find a photo with it displayed...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom