Satellite tv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That should be illegal. Coming back from the Bahamas at a marina by Sebastian inlet, I was given a slip next to someone who did this making it impossible to throw a line over the piling. Boat wound up wedged sideways slamming into the dock in high wind. The hull had just been painted along with the bottom. Yes I had superficial damage.

It's their home marina, not a transient slip, their slip isn't ever given to transients, they (and their immediate neighbors) have pre-tied/measured dock lines in place, etc, etc, etc.

-Chris

It's their home marina, not a transient slip, their slip isn't ever given to transients, they (and their immediate neighbors) have pre-tied/measured dock lines in place, etc, etc, etc.

-Chris

Nope. I should have never been assigned the slip next to them as it shared a piling.

What TV programming do you find is worth the $3-13k investment, with monthly fees I guess too? Does it also provide on-demand programs/movies that are commercial free? Weather? Just curious what you are watching and what features are most desirable.

Primarily sports. We both enjoy watching, in the fall we tend to watch 2-3 games on a Saturday.

News is nice. When we are on the boat - we are there for 10-12 days at a time.

FWIW we get HD programming on our KVH-1 and DirectTV.

For those using cellular data to access programming, it may interest you that there is an inexpensive adapter that will provide HDMI output to your TV from your smart device. Amazon has them. They work very well!

Having junked a KVH M-7 when direct switched its HD programming to Ka band, I am very skeptical of that any KVH M-series is receiving HD from Direct in the US. I suspect you are receiving the same programming, but in standard definition (and depending on the size of your tv, HD can be hard to distinguish from SD).

What TV programming do you find is worth the $3-13k investment, with monthly fees I guess too? Does it also provide on-demand programs/movies that are commercial free? Weather? Just curious what you are watching and what features are most desirable.

Cost is a relative thing. What’s worth $3000 to me might not be worth $.30 to some one else.

I enjoy meeting other club members at one of our out stations, sharing a drink and watching football in the late fall were it will be cold and wet for sure. Wife likes swing on anchor in the spring watching romance movies. We don’t watch it much but we want it when we want it.

Yes it provides on demand, commercial free, and comes with DVR.

DRB, I will second what T1 said. We don't watch much TV either, but it is enjoyable for us to watch a movie in the evening and catch the news in the morning. It is also worth the cost to me, but I respect those who want to tune out completely and enjoy nature, which is also a good thing.

I agree it would be crazy for me to spend 10+ grand on a tv system. but if I could afford a 3/4 mill boat 10 grand probably wouldn't bother me if I really wanted it . I don't see me ever having the chance to find out.

Does it matter? Obviously, what this poster gets for his money, his money, is worth it to him. What does he get. The same as anyone gets with home-based sat tv service or cable service.

satellite tv

We used a Follow-me -TV {now Track-It TV} with a regular Direct TV dish, for many years in PNW. It worked well enough at a dock....not so much at anchor. You need to adjust the dish for azimuth and declination as you change longitude and latitude but they supply tools to assist. You need to have a clear view to SE (134 deg in PNWS) as the satellite is geosynchronous at the equator.(Direct TV). We had it work as far north as Port McNeil in BC.
I was a liveaboard at the time and didn't make a big deal out of the fact that I travelled. You will need to get a receiver/recorder as appropriate. At the time the device was less that 1 BU ($1000.) I don't remember about HD nor did I care.

Ian

Having junked a KVH M-7 when direct switched its HD programming to Ka band, I am very skeptical of that any KVH M-series is receiving HD from Direct in the US. I suspect you are receiving the same programming, but in standard definition (and depending on the size of your tv, HD can be hard to distinguish from SD).
Yup. That's why I went with Intellian. Full-sized picture plus sports are so much better with HD.

I went and checked my notes from the boat show. Football fan is correct if you buy a KVH HD7 you can get HDTV from DirectTV or you can go with an Intellian I3 and Dish for HDTV. With Dish you can pay for only the months you are on the boat. With DirectTV you need an annual subscription.

Retail on the HD7 is $12,000. 24” antenna
Retail on the I3 is $2,750. 18” antenna

Inetellian has an I4 (24” antenna) $3,500

In the RV world, we have been battling for adequate TV too. The folks with Verizon, with unlimited data, for $100 per month, say they can stream Netflix, etc, with great results. No local TV though.

Also, if you are not fussed over hiding your dish inside a small dome, Camping World has great dishes that will find and follow your HD satelites, for $1800 or so, plus installation.

The really[FONT=&quot] affectatious[/FONT] among us will say when told about a new TV show or when we recommend something for them to watch on TV will wrinkle their nose up, then look down it while saying...Well, we don't watch much TV".

with Dish, the subscriber can get locals in any location via an RV account.
With Direct the user will lose locals (network stations) once your boat moves out of range of the spot beam for your account address. Some folks have been successful using a New York address to establish a Direct TV account which enables a "national feed" which gives the user New York City network stations. Why bother when a Dish RV account lets the one use a real home address and change locals at will? The channel line-ups are very similar and very similar in their pricing.

Directv has had rv accounts for as long as I can remember. I have watched orlando news all over the U.S. in my RV.

We have an RV and used Directv with an extra reciever from home. At the time in order to get the national feeds you had to have an RV and the registration for it and give Directv a copy. You could not get the national feeds on a boat. Obviously the RV industry had better lobbyists than the boating industry. This was about 8 years ago and it may have changed now. Call them and ask.

We have a KVH HD7 with 3 receivers and full HD package we extend to the boat from our home account. The dome is on a folding arch. It has worked perfectly for us and has not lost a signal from sea conditions. It has had signal issues when we are in Alaska when it rains heavily (Ketchikan :-( ). When we cross over from BC into Alaska we call Directv and get them to change our home billing address to a local Pizza joint in Ketchikan. This then gives us local Alaska channels while we are up there and then change the billing address back to our house on our way out of Alaska. They don’t paper-bill us as it is auto-set on CC. The Directv rep actually told us to do this and they said a lot of cruisers and rv’s do this as they move around.

Donna,
I have a KVH3 that came with the boat & runs me $80/month.
can't beat it!

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 48
Directv has had rv accounts for as long as I can remember. I have watched orlando news all over the U.S. in my RV.
Yes, but Direct TV does not extend that account availability to boaters unless one proves personal ownership of a road registered RV.

Nope. I should have never been assigned the slip next to them as it shared a piling.

I meant the folks in our own home marina. No chance anyone else (transient) would have been assigned to either effected slip.

-Chris

Last edited:
Yes, but Direct TV does not extend that account availability to boaters unless one proves personal ownership of a road registered RV.

When I bought my KVH dish, I did the install. KVH provided the Direct TV box and set me up with an account manager at Direct TV. The account manager added the box to my wife's account in Missouri. I believe she's paying $5 per month and I get all the national feeds plus the local news for Columbia and St. Louis Missouri.

Calling Direct TV without using the account manager that KVH sends you to is worthless. The normal Direct TV guys have no idea what the deal is.

Ted

I went and checked my notes from the boat show. Football fan is correct if you buy a KVH HD7 you can get HDTV from DirectTV or you can go with an Intellian I3 and Dish for HDTV. With Dish you can pay for only the months you are on the boat. With DirectTV you need an annual subscription.

Retail on the HD7 is $12,000. 24” antenna
Retail on the I3 is $2,750. 18” antenna

Inetellian has an I4 (24” antenna) $3,500

What’s the difference between the I3 and the I4?
I wonder why the Intellian units seem to be a lot less than the KVH units?

I3 vs i4. I4 will receive the signal farther than the i3. If you lived or planned to spend most your summer in Alaska you might need an I4 or i5. Sinece I do not normally venture all the way to Alaska I opted for less weight on the arch.

Intellian only picks up ku band. Dish broadcasts only on ku band. DirectTV broadcast on Ka & ku. KVH HD7 picks up both bands that is why it is so expensive.

I talked to Dish about switching bands. Dish’s rv customer base is a big percentage of their business. They informed me they could not afford to loose that business so they won’t switch bands.

Not all KVH antenna pick up ka band.

I have a KVH TV 1 and am very happy with it because I never go to the fringe or the other side.

It is using a standard non DVR Direct TV receiver but I am wondering if the TV 1 will work with a DVR such as the DTV Genie? Does anyone use a DVR box with one of the lower power dishes?

What if I give them the registration of my pickup truck? For all they know I really do have a camper on the back of it.......? A trailer or a fifth wheel will have a state license plate on the back, but not a cab-over pickup camper, it's just cargo.

Last edited:
When I bought my KVH dish, I did the install. KVH provided the Direct TV box and set me up with an account manager at Direct TV. The account manager added the box to my wife's account in Missouri. I believe she's paying $5 per month and I get all the national feeds plus the local news for Columbia and St. Louis Missouri.

Calling Direct TV without using the account manager that KVH sends you to is worthless. The normal Direct TV guys have no idea what the deal is.

Ted

Interesting issue Ted. I bought my KVH, M-7 used, $1200. Had it repaired and reprogrammed for $400. Installed my self. Then I used my receiver from the house, works great. We now are livaboards, so the house receiver is permanent on the boat.:thumb::thumb:

Is over the air HD out of the question?
We use a Shakespeare 19” Sea Watch antenna. We get the major networks plus all the minor stuff like ME Cozi Laugh Ion Retro etc pretty much anywhere in FL except the Keys.
If you already have an OTA antenna and you are not getting anything you are set up wrong.
Go into the tv remote menu
Find setup > Antenna >
Make sure you are on Antenna not Cable.
Then do a channel search
Also make sure the antenna amplifier is powered up.
Did I say I hate monthly payments? I like free.

Last edited:
I3 vs i4. I4 will receive the signal farther than the i3. If you lived or planned to spend most your summer in Alaska you might need an I4 or i5. Sinece I do not normally venture all the way to Alaska I opted for less weight on the arch.

Intellian only picks up ku band. Dish broadcasts only on ku band. DirectTV broadcast on Ka & ku. KVH HD7 picks up both bands that is why it is so expensive.

I talked to Dish about switching bands. Dish’s rv customer base is a big percentage of their business. They informed me they could not afford to loose that business so they won’t switch bands.

Not all KVH antenna pick up ka band.
The I4 picks up on a wider range because the dish is larger.

Is over the air HD out of the question?
We use a Shakespeare 19” Sea Watch antenna. We get the major networks plus all the minor stuff like ME Cozi Laugh Ion Retro etc pretty much anywhere in FL except the Keys.
If you already have an OTA antenna and you are not getting anything you are set up wrong.
Go into the tv remote menu
Find setup > Antenna >
Make sure you are on Antenna not Cable.
Then do a channel search
Also make sure the antenna amplifier is powered up.
Did I say I hate monthly payments? I like free.
Sure, OTA works, most of the time. But, no cable stations which many folks desire.

Forgot to add that there may be an A/B switch hiding somewhere.switches between the antenna and dockside cable inlet.

The SoS came with an older KVH M3. It had a direct tv receiver box. All I had to do was call direct tv and get a new access card and add the receiver to our home plan for $7.99/month. I learned after the first few phone calls to say “access card” when prompted for the reason of my call, otherwise it was a very frustrating waste of time to try to get to the right person.
It worked for a few weeks then stopped. We troubleshot it six ways to Sunday and finally called the local service company to come out. They ended up having to send off the receiver box to whoever (I can’t remember) to be fixed. Cost a stupid amount of money and in hindsight we should have ditched the thing then and invested in a new one. Got it back, got it working. It worked for a few weeks and then stopped working again. At that point I said screw it, no way I was spending another minute on the phone or another penny on this thing.

The new boat has a Seatel dome on it. Don’t know anything at all about it. At some point we will replace it with either an Intellian or a KVH unit. Sometime before football season starts!
It also has a regular little antennae that we’ve been able to pick up a few channels on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom