Insurance renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbtapper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lady Maria
Vessel Make
1987 CT 35 Sundeck
Just got my renewal package from BoatUS. Guess that in itself is a win? lots of congratulations on no claims and blah blah. Here’s your new rate please send payment as soon as possible to avoid the dreaded “lapse” of coverage.
50% increase over last year? granted no new survey or other stuff but crap, one more year of this and I’m out of boating, can’t afford slip fees going up, insurance going up seems the industry is bound and determined to eliminate the “average” under $100k boater.
Granted Hilton Head had a hurricane come through but minimal damage this last time not so lucky in previous years. Let’s all pray for a mild year for claims.

Our boat is with Markel (USAA's affiliate provider for larger boats). This year they advised that after seven years they'd like a new survey prior to renewal. But instead of requiring a surveyor, they sent me a guide line and suggested I do it myself. They're a little high, but avoiding the $700 surveyor surcharge and the related hassle makes up for it.

try progressive last year they put a 35 ' limit on new coastal policies . but I think it reads over 35 .you might sneak in . probably have the cost for the same coverage

Progressive's computer quit working when I was trying for an on-line quote. A CustServ Rep was not able to move it along. BoatUS's change to Geiko has resulted in them mailing my monthly bill only 13 days before due. When I objected, they suggested automatic payment out of my checking account. I told them NOBODY gets their hands on my checking account, and that if they didn't give me at least 21 days they would probably be history. I've been with BoatUS for 35 years. I'm just old fashioned, I know, but I enjoy boats on my own terms, not those of some little green salamander.

Auto renew off a credit card then?

Thanks for the responses. I got a quote from Progressive for about $300 a year less? No survey or such. Probably go with them no sense in wasting money on something hopefully I’ll never need?

they suggested automatic payment out of my checking account. I told them NOBODY gets their hands on my checking account
Serve.com prepaid AMEX cards are very useful for autopay. Costs $1 per month, waived if you use it regularly, can fund via ACH transfer or cash at any CVS or Walmart.

Up to four separate cards per account, so can dedicate a sub-account to a vendor, if they turn out to be dodgy, just cancel that card and AMEX sends you a new one free.

Note only the "master" cc number will work overseas.

As noted on another thread, I was "non-renewed" last month by my insurer of 7 claim free years (and the PO for 4 claim free years previous) due to the age (1976) and value (under 100k) of the boat. All years with the boat in the same home marina and a pile of good surveys.

After extensive shopping, wound up with BoatUS - better coverage at about 8% less than the prior year. The highest quote I received was double BoatUS for essentially the same coverage. The exception was Markel, who seemed cheap until I read the fine print - zero coverage for named storms or TDs - not useful here on the Gulf Coast.

I think insurance people, at least for rec boats, use oujia boards to evaluate risk.

Up here in Canada I was with State Farm for many years. last year they left the Marine market in Canada so I had to scramble. To my surprise I got much better coverage from Skippers Plan (Aviva) at HALF the cost of the former State Farm. This year my renewal just came in at no increase and 10% reduction in my deductible for no claims. I guess State Farm has ripped me for a decade.
This is an agreed value policy with liveaboard and in water winter storage coverage.
I have no idea what Aviva calls themselves in the US.

I think insurance people, at least for rec boats, use oujia boards to evaluate risk.
Neural nets / AI

Once trained even the programmers don't know how they arrive at their decisions.

IOW, yes.

I'll second Markel. They have done right for me and less than BoatUS.

Ken

I'll second that, BoatUS has been a No Hassle Insurance Co. for me for 15 years now. You have same year boat as mine and they've never questioned it. I like their program and the support they give the recreational boating community through the BoatUS Foundation who goes to bat for us opposing unfair government intervention and regulation, plus their monthly magazine offers boating tips and cruising information. :thumb:

As noted on another thread, I was "non-renewed" last month by my insurer of 7 claim free years (and the PO for 4 claim free years previous) due to the age (1976) and value (under 100k) of the boat. All years with the boat in the same home marina and a pile of good surveys.

After extensive shopping, wound up with BoatUS - better coverage at about 8% less than the prior year. The highest quote I received was double BoatUS for essentially the same coverage. The exception was Markel, who seemed cheap until I read the fine print - zero coverage for named storms or TDs - not useful here on the Gulf Coast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom