View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
Aquabelle
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
OK everyone, following the pointers from your posts I have now found several nylon/rubber/HDPE stock options that I can machine into spacers. Many thanks to you all.

This has been one of those classic boat projects where you start out to do one thing and end up with many more jobs in the end. In my case, I'm getting organized to strip my too-thin foredeck teak and replace it with new teak or non-skid, tbd (I've been "getting organized" for about 2 years now). Before removing the teak I want to fabricate a mud-diverting tray or dam around my windlass. That requires dismounting the windlass first...but before doing that I needed to remove the 100m of 3/8 BBB chain which was overdue for end-to-ending. When I laid the chain out along the dock I concluded it would benefit from regalvanizing so I sent it off....and since I was doing that it seemed only sensible to get my hard-working 9 y.o. #8 SUPER SARCA anchor re-gal'd at the same time. With all that gone it was time to also replace shackles and swap out the controversial swivel for a solid Flip Link from the anchor manufacturer which eliminates the occasional problem of the anchor coming up backwards. Now all that hardware is removed I was staring at the poor state of the big heavy stainless bowsprit. So I removed the twin stainless rollers to give full access to polishing the 'sprit. I could then see how bad the rollers were so sent them off for re-plating. That exposed the deteriorating nylon spacers....

The foredeck project start date should only be a few months away now, really......!
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote