Genset lift ideas for mount replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not offended at all, merely pointing out that its near impossible to have every tool at hand.

How about this, take a pic of the genset and the areas below and above and post it.. plenty of guys who grew up watching McGyver here and a pic
( or 3) is going to be worth more than anything.
Your giving up too easy

Hollywood

Weld a padeye centered over the generator or two fore and aft. Most genys have lift eyes for a chain fall. Yours vessel looks to be steel, the maker may have eyes all ready installed, if not and you have overhead beams, use a clamp style eye for lifting. A come-along can be a substitute for falls and they are inexpensive, light weight, small and useful in your tool box. Block it once lifted for safety.

Last edited:
If you can get Amazon deliveries, these would work: (They lift about 2 inches. If you need more you can lift the 2 inches, then set it down on a board, and lift again from there)

https://www.amazon.com/Winbag-15730-Wedge-Alignment-Inflatable/dp/B00NESAU0U

Cool, doing what I was attempting with a fender.

Australian same same but different stock on eBay for $12
Says it can do 200kg and I'll put 1/2 ply between it and Genny for protection.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Winb...For-Fitting-Door-Windows-Frames-/202209781124

if you're only lifting one side at a time you won't be bearing the full weight of the genny.

I've used the Winbag version and they are very handy. They are surprisingly powerful and seem very durable so far. I've used them to lift one side of a full size fridge, and for leveling a very large window during installation.

On eBay had a search around under air wedge, air shim and found various same same versions for as low as $3.99 delivered.
At that price I bought three to share the load.
Just need to wait a few weeks for delivery.

Thanks for the heads up Benthic2.

If you have enough 1/2" extensions. You can stack them together and use a deep socket as a fulcrum. If you have a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter you can add more length. If you had electrical supply house close you could build an A-frame out of unistrut or superstrut. I have made them before to lift a 800lb marine gear.

Couple of inches.

If you know anyone that has heavy equipment, one of their mechanics should have a porta-power. It would work but a pry bar should work, 4 foot one sitting in my shed, but not much help to you.

Where is your Davit? Pull the cable out far enough to lift the genny. I had to rescue my dinghy when it got washed off the sun deck in a storm and landed upside down in the cockpit. Pulled it back upright, then back up. That cable ran some interesting places it was never intended to make it all work. Used extra life preservers as scuff pads over corners and gel coat. Worked. If you have a straight enough shot, rig it Rube Goldberg style.

Well, those midget contortionists i ordered off of ebay never arrived so i had to do this myself.

Got two of the mounts fitted yesterday afternoon with considerable swearing but minimal bloodletting.
Well earned martinis afterwards took the edge off the pain.

Fired it up this morning and its amazing what a difference 2 out of 4 mounts make.
Vibration and sound has been reduced dramatically.

More swearing, bloodletting and martinis scheduled for later today.

A smaller inner tube (early hippy VW engine change style) will take the load , although you may need some blocks to make it stable as wakes go by.

A smaller inner tube (early hippy VW engine change style) will take the load , although you may need some blocks to make it stable as wakes go by.

That's a clever idea, do you just push the inner tube under the motor or sandwich it between plywood panels? I need to change mine and I was trying to think of an easy way to lift the units.

Completed the job.
Added bonus is I have left enough height to slide a lever under for next time.
Please dog don't let there be a next time.

"just push the inner tube under the motor"

There is usually nothing sharp enough to puncture the inner tube that hangs down.

Back
Top Bottom