Genset lift ideas for mount replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
New engine mounts arrived from Greece yesterday so I am thinking of ways to jack up the genset.

Thinking along the lines of the airbag jacks that plug into exhaust on 4x4 - what about a fender?

Let air out, slide under genset, pump up fender with 12v compressor leaving old mounts in place, pack genset with ply/timber and replace mounts.

Theory being genset lifted back to where old mounts would have been before they collapsed making new mount adjustment simple.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
3 ft crowbar and some blocks. Do one at a time. Wedges would also work.

One of my neighbors with a Bayliner 4588 had to lift their genset to get to the leaking oil pan. They constructed a frame out of inexpensive pine timber to fit,and used block and tackle to lift the genset on the frame.

Only undo the mounts at one end, use an automotive bottle jack and some lumber as a base to jack up the disconnected end and replace those 2 mounts. After the first 2 mounts are bolted in place, repeat the process at the other end.

Ted

Should add, living aboard so no shops, no 3 ft crowbar, no wooden frame or block and tackle(or space above to use it) and no bottle jack (or space under to use it)

But i do have a fender and a 12v pump. (-;

Should add, living aboard so no shops, no 3 ft crowbar, no wooden frame, no block and tackle and no bottle jack (or space under to use it)

But i do have a fender and a 12v pump. (-;

Do as I suggested but use the fender as lift. Easier to lift only one end at a time, also more stable.

Ted

How about a 2x4 across the hatch and a small block & tackle to pull up one side.

As my shop teacher would say, “If you don’t have what you need, improvise.”
Try the fender. Just keep the bolts loose on one end so you keep everything under control.

How much does the gen set weigh, and how much pressure will your fender hold?
Don’t know what it looks like in there, but if it’s on the vessels centerline between stringers, you might be able to use two fenders so it’s more stable.
You still might want to support it from above once it is lifted, remember that your fingers are at risk here!

Fender didnt work, fittings wouldn't let me get enough pressure in it to lift 200kg.

It'll have to wait until next on the hard.

That's not very heavy - prybar.

How much height do you need ?

( and you can get a 36 inch pry bar for 12 bucks at Home Depot )

Last edited:
I changed motor mounts on a 1500 lb Gray Marine Diesel using a box full of 4” long blocks of 2x4 and 1x2 lumber and a 4 ft chunk of 2x4 as a lever. One end at a time, stack blocks to make the fulcrum, lift an inch by sitting on the lever, stack more blocks under motor or gearbox, release, and repeat until high enough. A pry bar would work too, but sitting on the 2x4 easy, depending of course on access. Keep fulcrum close as possible, raise in small increments. Easier and much safer than block and tackle.

How much height do you need ?

( and you can get a 36 inch pry bar for 12 bucks at Home Depot )

Post 5.

Should add, living aboard so no shops, no 3 ft crowbar, no wooden frame or block and tackle(or space above to use it) and no bottle jack (or space under to use it)

;
Plus Australia, no home depot here.
Bunning's or super cheap auto.
I have one at the dirt house so it'll wait until we come out next.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of a way to mcguiver a jack using some long bolts and nuts. Maybe some kind of scissor action with a 2x4 or other stout couple of objects?

Think like an Egyptian. Levers and inclined planes are your friends.

What about getting a bunch of wedges and drive some on one side and then next to the first wedge drive a taller one in and alternate between the two. Doesn’t need much room or much in the way of tools.

What about getting a bunch of wedges and drive some on one side and then next to the first wedge drive a taller one in and alternate between the two. Doesn’t need much room or much in the way of tools.

Living aboard so where would I get wedges and bloody hard ones at that.
All I have onboard in the way of timber is some western red cedar and some ply.

Like I said, it can wait until its up on the hard next.
Mounts have been collapsed since we bought her, not even convinced it needs them, not even enough vibration to rattle glasses onboard.

Main engine is hard mounted as well and same there.

Post 11: Driftwood. Pike pole. Borrow something. Wait til you get home. Get a better tool box.

Not to be snarky, but with such a large boat, how can you not have a really great selection of tools and supplies?

Not to be snarky, but with such a large boat, how can you not have a really great selection of tools and supplies?
You expect me to have one of every tool on the planet from day one?:rolleyes:

I still haven't finished getting through the previous owners accumulated sh1t yet so i am not about to start piling all of my sh1t on top of his.

Like I said, I have a longer bar at the dirt house and when we get back to land I will bring it onboard.
I have a short one on board, but not long enough to get to the other side of the genset.
I have several meter long sections of one inch rhs, but it bends.
Its no big deal and it will wait.

No, I don’t expect you to have every tool. Just an adequate tool selection. Hey, everyone needs to stock their boat to the level they feel comfortable with. Good luck.

I have jig saw, circular saw, several diferent sanders, grinders, drill press, hand drills, impact driver, compressor, welder, soldering iron, hammers, chisels, screwdrivers, full socket set 1/4,3/8 and 1/2 inch, multiple shifters, spanner set, vise, portable vice, grease gun x 2, pressure blaster, torque wrench x 2, rattle gun, bolt cutters, drop saw for timber and one for metal, spirit levels,laser levels, handsaws, routers x 2, boxes of stainless bolts and screws, spares spares and more spares a shittone of stuff I haven't even mentioned.

I don't have a long crowbar but I do have a short crowbar.
Clearly I have an inadequate tool kit.

Clearly I have offended you, I apologize. You do have an impressive tool kit.

Not offended at all, merely pointing out that its near impossible to have every tool at hand.

Back
Top Bottom