Painting the Varnish WHICH PAINT??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have decided to paint over all the outside varnish on my 1982 Marine Trader DC with Sherwin Williams Industrial HS Alkyd Enamel. Color to be "Saucy Gold" SW6370...
Just wondering,are you color blind, to any extent?:blush:

Ted. My boat was the center of attention because all the food and booze was there, yours attracted more looks and photos. Since you were a couple of boats away your shine didn’t take away much from mine.

FWIW, I too have used Brightside in SWFL, and the two-year life expectancy seems about right to keep its gloss. However, I extended mine for another year or so at a time by simply hitting it with some polish to get the top layer of chalked paint off. Probably would have lasted longer if I’d actually waxed it. And mine was a bright yellow (smokestack) where the chalking showed pretty badly; another color might fare better in that respect.

Also, reading the history of the famed Ticonderoga, when she was conscripted into the Navy for WWII, her captain slathered on several coats of varnish over everything before they painted the battleship grey, and was credited with ‘saving’ her. Apparently the paint came off fairly easily after the war and never got into the grain and ruined the woodwork.

Ted. Your costing me $$$$ but the new ice maker is great and only uses water to make ice. Happy boater since the PSS seals have been replaced and the new windless mounted. Now to check out sea chests.

Ted. Your costing me $$$$ but the new ice maker is great and only uses water to make ice. Happy boater since the PSS seals have been replaced and the new windless mounted. Now to check out sea chests.

Irv, is this sort of what you're looking for?

Seachest.jpg

Ted

Exactly as long as Watfa doesn’t find out.

IMHO they are larger than breasts, they are mams.

Amazing how that happens as a thread dies for lack of interest.

I’d say post #35 has great “universal” interest.

Ted always gets the accolades.

Back
Top Bottom