Offshore.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably more appropriate in "General Discussions" rather than "How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns"

Mods can move it if they agree.

Could you defined what you are calling "Offshore"? I find that commonly people refer to "Offshore" when they intend on cruising 'Near Shore'.

Maybe describe the type of cruising you considering. Distances of passages, distance from shore, etc.

How far offshore? You're talking about the houseboat looking Bluewater boats with huge windows and flat shearline?

http://images0.boattrader.com/resize/1/99/14/5759914_0_170220180902_1.jpg?t=1267557

If yes, IMHO would be awful offshore and anything more than a 5-10 knot wind day. For one reason the engine room vents are so low to the waterline, small waves will eventually enter and cause bad things to happen.

Last edited:
How far offshore? You're talking about the houseboat looking Bluewater boats with huge windows and flat shearline?

http://images0.boattrader.com/resize/1/99/14/5759914_0_170220180902_1.jpg?t=1267557

If yes, IMHO would be awful offshore and anything more than a 5-10 knot wind day. For one reason the engine room vents are so low to the waterline, small waves will eventually enter and cause bad things to happen.

I agree. If talking about that boat, hell no. Those engine vents are crazy close to the waterline!

I have my suspicions about the structural quality of blue water yachts after seeing the backend ripped off one that made contact with a dock. If it looks like a lake boat, walks like a lake boat and talks like a lake boat, then just maybe it’s a lake boat.

I think the StarPeople (Star0210 and Starsman) here on the forum has a Bleuwater for a while...

-Chris

Saw them a number of times at the Miami show. At the shows a lot of brands have curtains hanging down around their bottoms - not trying to hide anything, just for show looks. They did not, they wanted to show the shallow draft. Definitely NOT an offshore vessel, or even nearshore on a choppy day). And they did not market them as that. In fact all of their marketing was around being able to pull up and put the front of your boat on the beach or sandbar. They sold them based on their shallow draft, open spaces inside and out for entertaining, but not as a deepwater boat.

I would say, a modern houseboat is a good description.

Last edited:
Bluewater boats are a misnomer. Like in 70's sailboat names, the faster the name sounds, the slower the boat actually was....

That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people who love theirs.

I have my suspicions about the structural quality of blue water yachts after seeing the backend ripped off one that made contact with a dock. If it looks like a lake boat, walks like a lake boat and talks like a lake boat, then just maybe it’s a lake boat.

I know what you're trying to say and agree with you BUT the word lake may be wrong....The Great Lakes can have worse conditions than lots of the coastal areas most of us cruise in! Lol

There is nor reality component required for boat names.

A milk container could be called an "Offshore".

Saw them a number of times at the Miami show. At the shows a lot of brands have curtains hanging down around their bottoms - not trying to hide anything, just for show looks. They did not, they wanted to show the shallow draft. Definitely NOT an offshore vessel, or even nearshore on a choppy day). And they did not market them as that. In fact all of their marketing was around being able to pull up and put the front of your boat on the beach or sandbar. They sold them based on their shallow draft, open spaces inside and out for entertaining, but not as a deepwater boat.

I would say, a modern houseboat is a good description.

We have one in our marina. It even has a fold down ladder on the front for egress when beached. Basically a houseboat designed to look like a boat. A great river and lake boat. In waves? Not so much.

I looked at 3 several years ago. Was hooked on the 42’. Then I found a couple reports on hulltruth forum. Seems they had a terrible reputation for delamination, core separation and rot. PRIOR to ‘93. After that you will find the values are much better. But they stopped making the 42 model. Iirc, the molding company they used prior to ‘93 was not quality controlled. When they switched molding companies in ‘93 quality went WAY up. But so did size. Buyer beware prior to ‘93.

The ‘prior to ‘93’ we’re nicknamed ‘flexible flyer’ by repair people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom