Rusted/Broken Strainer Basket Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherAlyssa

Vessel Name
Heather Alyssa
Vessel Make
Mainship 350/390
Hello again Trawler friends. Am I Looking in the right places? Does a replacement strainer basket really cost around $100? I’m just going to use some stainless steel lock wire and create my own handle if that’s the case.m

IMG_1521660623.486873.jpg

Hello again Trawler friends. Am I Looking in the right places? Does a replacement strainer basket really cost around $100? I’m just going to use some stainless steel lock wire and create my own handle if that’s the case.m

View attachment 74406

What size Groco strainer is that off of? I bought 2 of their 2" plastic strainers to replace the stainless one that was eaten up by electrolysis. Think they were around $20 each. If they are in a high use system like the raw water pump for an air conditioner, the electrolysis eats them over time. That's why I replaced with plastic (nylon).

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. HA. Yup. SS wire would work. You might also stop by your local craft store and buy some plastic mesh. I'm pretty sure they would have sizes large enough for you to make your own strainer of an appropriate mesh size. Now, you will have to research what the best method of assembly is (glue, heat fusion etc.) but this stuff is dirt cheap. May or may not work...

http://www.michaels.com/darice-plastic-canvas-squares/10809723.htmlhttp://

Just an example...

I'm pretty sure that's a Perko strainer. I wired a handle to one too, but it is a little unweildy to install/uininstall the thing after cleaning. I don't believe they have a plastic version. I used to get my Perko stuff from CG Edwards in Boston or here locally at Barbour's in Beaufort NC. What size is it for what model strainer.

HA, if you know someone with a tig welder, the handle can be reattached pretty quickly. In the long run, plastic is likely better.

Ours is same sort of cage done with s/s mesh and no handle, has been good for 40 years, I doubt plastic would last that well.

You could just use a bit of wire for a handle, through the hole and bend the ends - sorted.

Last edited:
I may do just that. I was almost positive a replacement would cost 10 bucks. Maybe I’ll go into the strainer basket business and beat all my competitors.

Ours is same sort of cage done with s/s mesh and no handle, has been good for 40 years, I doubt plastic would last that well.

You could just use a bit of wire for a handle, through the hole and bend the ends - sorted.

I too had a handle break loose. Remember to insert the strainer correctly. I solved my problem by drilling 2 holes through the basket and the handle. I found 2 short stainless screws, screwed through the basket and the handles, PRESTO!!! All fixed

I would encourage you to carry spare baskets too. I keep the tied to the strainer hose for quick replacement if necessary. If quick is not necessary, just clean it, put it back in correctly and the job is done.

Ours is same sort of cage done with s/s mesh and no handle, has been good for 40 years, I doubt plastic would last that well...

We went through two ss strainer baskets on the engine and generator/AC in three years. We replaced them both 7 years ago with plastic and they are both good. One of the failures was due to what looked liked crevice corrosion where some grass or weed had sat agaisnt the screen for a long time. It could have been my fault for not being more diligent in cleaning but with plastic I don’t have that worry. Just saying.

Ordinarily I would steer away from plastic where structural integrity is in question but I think a plastic mesh is a perfect application for a basket. I’m going to look into that. Thank you.

I would encourage you to carry spare baskets too. I keep the tied to the strainer hose for quick replacement if necessary. If quick is not necessary, just clean it, put it back in correctly and the job is done.

Well, seeing as we have to shut the engine down, take a hike down to the engine room, put on a leather glove and wind on a gate valve for 50 turns, undo 4 bolts to take the lid off the strainer, I reckon another minute to clean the strainer is neither here nor there. ;)

Our strainer is just a bit of mesh rolled into a tube.
Rolled and overlapped galvanised chicken mesh would work for several months if so inclined.

Last edited:
Well, seeing as we have to shut the engine down, take a hike down to the engine room, put on a leather glove and wind on a gate valve for 50 turns, undo 4 bolts to take the lid off the strainer, I reckon another minute to clean the strainer is neither here nor there. ;)

50 turns to close the gate valve, 4 bolts to get the top off? Ah you have a big boy boat.

Parks turned me on to plastic strainers years ago. The new boat still has SS strainers but I bought the plastic ones from Hopkins a few weeks ago for replacement. Unfortunately they did not have all I needed but in times I will add the screens to the outside of the thru hulls. No more problems.

My 2008 AT34 came with Marine Hardware Sea Sim Universal swivel mount sea strainers. I do not know if the plastic stainer are compatible with my strainers.
With these sea strainers, I really cant find it an inconvenience to order from the maker. Summer time, I have to clean the A/C strainer once a week. Winter time, not so often. I also went from 1/2 inch hull valves to 3/4 hull valves.

The OP's post & pic shows a Perko monel strainer same as mine were. I replaced both with Groco plastics years ago....all good. No reason to persist with metal mesh in 2018.

Parks turned me on to plastic strainers years ago. The new boat still has SS strainers but I bought the plastic ones from Hopkins a few weeks ago for replacement. Unfortunately they did not have all I needed but in times I will add the screens to the outside of the thru hulls. No more problems.

I keep telling you Irv, that your boat is so much better than mine. My boat only has one seacock and strainer. Wish I could have all the through hulls you've got. :rolleyes:

Ted

If the handle is the only issue, a good sheet metal shop could bang out a strip of stainless and spot weld it to the OEM basket. They'd need offset electrodes, but a shop that does a lot of specialty work would probably be set up with them. Spot welding stainless is pot pie, and holds forever. To DIY, you could simply pop rivet a new handle to the basket with small SS or better yet, monel pops. McMaster should have them.

I keep telling you Irv, that your boat is so much better than mine. My boat only has one seacock and strainer. Wish I could have all the through hulls you've got. :rolleyes:

Ted

Do you have a sea chest?

Do you have a sea chest?

Yes, sort of. One 2" seacock and strainer that feeds a distribution box. Engine, generator, air conditioner, and raw water wash down pump are valved off the distribution box.

Ted

Yes, sort of. One 2" seacock and strainer that feeds a distribution box. Engine, generator, air conditioner, and raw water wash down pump are valved off the distribution box.

Ted

Not like the DeFever? Now that is a real seachest

Ted. I can put some holes in your hull. Actually I’ve been looking into a seachest or two, need to find a yard to do the work and save my money! The one thing I liked about Marlow is they has two seachests that were connected.

Not like the DeFever? Now that is a real seachest

The DeFever seachest I saw was pretty neat. It stood about 18 inches tall and had a clear top and you could look below the boat.

Last edited:

View attachment 74406

Heather, 1 basket does not cost $100
Do a search on the "brand name" basket

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom