Lanocote Corrosion Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only one that thinks Lanocote is the best thing on a boat since they invented canned beer? :dance:

I've heard good things about it though I haven't yet used it. I have used Fluid Film which is also lanolin based. Its an excellent corrosion inhibitor.

I've heard good things about it though I haven't yet used it. I have used Fluid Film which is also lanolin based. Its an excellent corrosion inhibitor.

I have been using Lanocote for about 30 years, and have found all kind of things to use it on. Anything from the running gear to seals around the opening ports, lubing seacocks, hose fittings. ETC.

Used a similar lanolin based product, no better than many other products in the limited experience I have with it.

Wonder if there is a difference?

Last edited:
Used a similar lanolin based product, no better than many other products in the limited experience I have with it.

Wonder if there is a difference?

Lanocote Tech Tip
LANOCOTE®
SUPREME MARINE CORROSION PROTECTION

CHOICE OF MARINE PROFESSIONALS

How does LanoCote® work?

LanoCote® works on five basic principals:

* Displaces water
* Absorbs corrosion
* Forms moisture barrier
* Penetrates
* Has high lubricity

LanoCote® prevents dissimilar metal galvanization

LanoCote® is extremely effective in preventing and stopping corrosion on all types of metals under all environmental conditions. Formulated to withstand saltwater marine conditions, LanoCote® is particularly useful in preventing thread seizure due to all types of corrosion on boats and machinery. Applied during assembly, LanoCote® will greatly assist in easy dismantling years later. An example would be anchor shackles, which are regularly immersed in salt water. LanoCote® also combats galvanization where dissimilar metals are fastened together, such as stainless steel fittings and fasteners on aluminum masts.

Use on:

* Turnbuckles-keeps them from seizing
* Anchor shackles-stops threads from seizing
* Stainless fasteners into aluminum mast and booms-stops corrosion and metal pitting
* Fasteners into wind-shield frames-stops corrosion
* Metal hinges-stops corrosion and squeaking
* Outboard motor lower unit hinges, locks and mechanisms
* Any metallic item that is susceptible to corrosion

Hm... I wonder how much different it is from good, old-fashioned Bag Balm?

There are several lanolin based lube/corrosion products I have come across.

if lanolin ISNT the active ingredient, then why use it?....if it is, bet most work about the same.

Havent met anyone in the small boat industry that uses any one of them...but it may be a more regional thing.

Last edited:
And the lanoniln keeps sheep dry in wet weather.

but my great wonder is how does it work compared to other things that also can keep sheep dry?

it may be more environmentally friendly....but just application....like most sealants foesnt truely prevent corrosion unless there is soecial prep before apllication.

unless lanolin or another active ingredient actually can stop the oxidation process after it has begun.

..... and we all know that just spraying stuff on tiop of rust is usually a losing proposition.

I love the stuff. It has worked better in every application that I use it on than any of the other products I use. I never use a bolt that hasn't been treated with it, takes very little. I'm sure others have different products they use but for me it completely stops corrosion.

I like Fluid Film which supposedly has lanolin in it. It smells like it does anyway. It is good on stuff like shovels, machetes, etc too. I haven't seen Lanocote around here yet.
Ever see a rusty lamb?

I like Fluid Film which supposedly has lanolin in it. It smells like it does anyway. It is good on stuff like shovels, machetes, etc too. I haven't seen Lanocote around here yet.
Ever see a rusty lamb?

No but my rusty bicycle seemed to rust even faster with fluid film than silicone or WD40.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom