Impact of dinks on speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finally Fun Again

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Finally Fun Again
Vessel Make
39' Leopard Power Cat
To those of you with a davit and dink on the aft of your Mainship --- what happens to your speed? Can you still get her up on plane? Can. you still get to 16+ mph with the dink up on the davit? I see many Mainships with NO dink and wonder why....Have 440's...

Last edited:
My slip neighbor a year ago had an inflatable on transom davits and had no problem getting it up on plane. Not sure which engines he had in his MS.

You will see a number of boats without dinghies. Some people view their boat as dock to dock transportation. Others may have inflatables, use a kayak, or have some other form of watercraft.

Ted

Dragging an inflatable is a fuel sucker on a planning hull, you have enough power to get on plane with it but it will affect your fuel economy. I made a run towing an inflatable that I had made numerous time before with the tender inside the boat, and ran out of fuel 20 miles short of my destination. I don't believe at displacement speeds towing would make any difference, but at planning speeds it definitely does.

I made numerous trips afterwards to the same destination and never ran short again... I never towed the tender (soft inflatable) on plane again!

we have a 390 with a single 370 Yanmar. keep a dingy on the swim platform when travelling. Boat will not plane with or without the dingy. cruise is 9 kts
John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom