Gratuitous horn blowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Recent statements made by our "horn vigilantes" ...

"Do that in the marinas up here (blow horn before entering marina)*and you will most likely be met with liveaboards toting shotguns*... people up here don't use their horns except in fog or in an emergency.** ... There is no need in our marina and every other marina I've been in to use the horn to announce anything.** ...* We don't need to attract attention to ourselves by annoying others with pointless noise and really wonder about those who need to beat their own drum in any event."

I don't support gratuitous horn blowing either.* Nevertheless, the Colregs (rule 34) describe horn sounds as "sound signals" not "fog horns."*

At low tide, my marina's sea wall is above eye level.* Also, from outside the marina, the multitude of channels, berth fingers, sailboat masts, etcetera*make it*difficult to ascertain if any boats therein are underway.* So, in accordance with rule 34E, I make a prolonged signal before entering the marina and before exiting at low tide.* Rather than being greeted by gun-bearing marina tenants, I receive helping hands for the dock lines.* They aren't annoyed.

This summer while transiting Richmond channel, a tugboat "jumped" in front of me from its berth without warning, requiring sudden a*sudden throttle*change on my part.* I would have appreciated a signal as per 34G.

Yesterday I was guilty of giving Battleship Iowa a horn salute.* What is the appropriate punishment for that?

Sorry Mark but I think blowing horns in marinas is rude and obnoxious. If you need to make your way around marinas blowing your horn it just means you're not willing to take the time or trouble to slow down. If you did you would'nt have any need to blow your horn. If you're leaving a small fairway and entering a large the only responsible thing to do is come nearly to a stop and cautiously look both ways and proceed when no vessels are seen. When backing out of your slip look first before backing and/or post a lookout. If you do that there's no need to blow horns and since most all don't and most are going too fast anyway there's only one responsible way to get about in marinas. Go real slow and look everywhere.*

Toot Toot

Attachments

• toot toot.jpg
    toot toot.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 305
  • liltoot.jpg
    liltoot.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 326
In our are it seems common to hit one blast as you exit the marina into the river. I suppose it is a "heads up" for anyone coming around the bend. But personally I'm always thinking that I'm the Lucky Bastard that got to leave the slip!:biggrin:

I give her a toot-toot every time we are leaving just to make sure it works.

If you want to blow your horn in broad daylight for any reason... I could care less. Heck, if you're on your way to your slip, I'll run over and help.

Tom-

I am more persuaded by the accidents avoided in my short 12 year boating career than by hurt feelings. *At our old marina we announced with a short blast on the low tide blind entrance and prevented a handful of accidents over the years. *

We may have been at a crawl, but there were folks barrelling out of the marina that needed a few seconds additional warning before they rounded the wall to find an oncoming boat in the channel.*

cheers

We always sound the horn (3 blasts) when backing out of the fuel wharf,*it can be*quite busy behind as boats jockey for position*to be next in, but not generally*in other parts of the*marina, unless someone pulls out of their slip without looking or stops without realising we're following.

Horns, especially electric ones, are very susceptible to corrosion and failing connections, so it's a good idea to check they still work occasionally. We have both electric (polite) and air driven (v loud) and the electric ones take a bit of maintaining.

When I use my horn:

1. Test - At least make sure your horn works once in a while

2. if you think you're about to be in an collision so you can tell the Coast Guard you made every reasonable attempt to signal the other vessel prior to the colllision.

3. Fog conditions

4. 4th of July

5. When the ladies on the boat moored in front of you, decide to unfasten their bikini tops to avoid those nasty tan lines*while sunbathing!**
smile.gif

Larry pretty much described the horn situation up here, only I have never heard a boat in our marina*blow it's horn on 4th of July except right after the city's big fireworks display which is put on out over the bay.* A few boaters sound their horns after the big finale but after a minute or so of this, threre's not a horn to be heard until the next 4th of July.

As to ladies avoiding tan lines, I have yet to see that in our marina (or anywhere else) because there is never any sun, plus it's almost always too cold for bikinis, anyway.

But different cultures, different practices. In east coast cities, people use their horns a lot in traffic.* So maybe this carries over into the use of boat horns,*too.* *

It is rare to ever hear a car horn used in the Puget Sound area or in all of Washington State, for that matter. In China drivers use their horns constantly to the point where a new traffic sign is appearing in many cities over there--- a horn in a circle with a diagonal bar thorugh it. It is a ticketable offence--- our bus driver was pulled over and issued a ticket for blowing his horn in the "no horn blowing" downtown core in Xiamen.

I guess boaters in the PNW, despite all the growth, would still rather listen to the water and seagulls and wind than somebody blowing their horn. In any event, it is very much frowned upon by pretty much everyone up here. If one does it in a marina, they generally get a number of very irate people yelling at them to "Shut the f*ck up."

So if you like blowing your horn, you don't want to be boating up here.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 06:27:24 PM

Got a couple of blind turns leaving and returning to where I live. One long blast is given for the lawyers.

Horns are not used much around our part of the world either, the main exception is the lovely old steam boat in our marina, he loves tooting his horn,it's such an evocative sound you can't help but smile when you hear it.

As the sun sets in Prideaux haven on a summer's evening, just about all of the 50 or so anchored boats feel obliged to blow their horns at the same time.

Kind of spoils the "wilderness experience' for me

Your average boat horn can't be heard by someone in a boat 50 feet away with the engine running or the stereo playing. Mine can be heard!

Nobody at my marina sounds the horn when leaving the slip or fairway. I often leave around dawn and there could be people sleeping so I don't either.

But, from my flybridge, I can pretty much see if another boat is approaching the marina.

Edelweiss wrote:
When I use my horn:

2. if you think you're about to be in an collision so you can tell the Coast Guard you made every reasonable attempt to signal the other vessel prior to the colllision.

Or when it's apparent that the other boater doesn't understand which boat is the stand on boat.

rwidman wrote:
*Or when it's apparent that the other boater doesn't understand which boat is the stand on boat.

Not to get too far off the subject. . . . *But does that work for boaters who don't know, don't care, or don't follow the rules of the road?

This summer I followed a 20' speed boat, man and woman on board, into the marina, half way down the main channel where it starts to narrow down, they stopped dead. *Womans on her cell, probably talking to the port office looking for a temporary slip. *After a minute or two fighting the crosswind the single engine trawler behind me puts his bow into the wind to stay off the docks. *The channel behind me is now blocked. *I honked my horn at them and pointed to the guest moorage dock. She just waved back and we endured another minute of stupidity. (Thank God for twins!!) *Out of frustration, I finally pulled right up to their stern and on the loud hailers highest setting, Yelled, "You are blocking the main channel, move your boat to the guest dockl!!" *I think the combination of the boats bow hanging over them and the hailer got the point across, as they did move. *That's the only time I've had to resort to such tactic in all my years of boating. *

I hear people yelling on CH 16 all the time at some boater who cut them off, didn't yield, threw a wake, etc. *But I never hear the offending boat answer back. *I guess when you don't care, you're not likely to be listening to the radio either?? *Maybe it's a method for the offended vessel to blow off steam though?

markpierce wrote:
Recent statements made by our "horn vigilantes" ...

"Do that in the marinas up here (blow horn before entering marina)*and you will most likely be met with liveaboards toting shotguns*... people up here don't use their horns except in fog or in an emergency.** ... There is no need in our marina and every other marina I've been in to use the horn to announce anything.** ...* We don't need to attract attention to ourselves by annoying others with pointless noise and really wonder about those who need to beat their own drum in any event."

I don't support gratuitous horn blowing either.* Nevertheless, the Colregs (rule 34) describe horn sounds as "sound signals" not "fog horns."*

At low tide, my marina's sea wall is above eye level.* Also, from outside the marina, the multitude of channels, berth fingers, sailboat masts, etcetera*make it*difficult to ascertain if any boats therein are underway.* So, in accordance with rule 34E, I make a prolonged signal before entering the marina and before exiting at low tide.* Rather than being greeted by gun-bearing marina tenants, I receive helping hands for the dock lines.* They aren't annoyed.

This summer while transiting Richmond channel, a tugboat "jumped" in front of me from its berth without warning, requiring sudden a*sudden throttle*change on my part.* I would have appreciated a signal as per 34G.

Yesterday I was guilty of giving Battleship Iowa a horn salute.* What is the appropriate punishment for that?

*Mark, I think your horn must have been heard all the way to the East coast.
no.gif
* It shouldn't be a problem.* Just change your name to Horatio!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:
*Mark, I think your horn must have been heard all the way to the East coast.
no.gif
* It shouldn't be a problem.* Just change your name to Horatio!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
*I heard the echo!*
blankstare.gif

At the Pittsburg Marina due to the high walls the horns are pretty much used by all the locals who know better. Good habit to get into if you are in a blind turn. There ae alot of express cruisers and small firhing boats that can't see aound th turn, I can see fine from from the flybridge and have a horn you wil hear over the stereo. Better safe then sorry. But I suppose if you have great visability and no sea wall not much of an issue.

Edelweiss wrote:
I hear people yelling on CH 16 all the time at some boater who cut them off, didn't yield, threw a wake, etc. *But I never hear the offending boat answer back. *I guess when you don't care, you're not likely to be listening to the radio either??
*We hear this, too, being in the same general area you are.* Particularly during the salmon seasons when there are lots of fishing boats trolling or mooching near the pass entrances.* You'll hear, "Thanks for the big wake, as*hole" on the radio or some such admonition.

The wake-throwers are always powerboats, and most powerboaters, particularly the drivers of the ones big or powerful enough to throw a Red Sea Parting wake have their radios on.* I think the reason we hear no answers are three-fold.* One, the guy driving the boat really IS an as*hole and doesn't care about the boaters around him.* Two, the guy is embarassed so simply continues on his way.* And three--- and I believe this is the main one--- the people chastizing the wake-thrower never say where they are.* If the fisherman or whoever would say, "Thanks for the big wake, as*hole plowing your Bayliner through the boats at the east end of Obstruction Pass," then perhaps the bozo at the wheel would know the call was aimed at him and he might--- just might--- do something about it.

I get the impression that the drivers of big, wake throwing boats all have serious neck injuries so are physically incapable of turning their heads to look at their wake when in the vicinity of other boats, docks on shore, etc.

Being fisherpeople ourselves when we use our Arima, we've been on the receiving end of the wakes these inconsiderate drivers can throw, so even though our boat doesn't put out a fairly moderate wake at 8 knots we always slow right down when passing near fishermen who are trolling or mooching as well as kayakers.

Good things to know about horn sounds.

Other than Beep!!Beep!!
Ch4-Fig-28-sounds.gif

Learn the first four!

*SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 12:59:35 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 02:35:28 PM

This is giving me a hankering to go up the Napa River so to practice my prolonged and short "toot-toot" combination.

Attachments

• back in water2.jpg
    back in water2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 127
I think the occasional sound of a horn over the water adds to the nice nautical ambiance of most marinas. Not at 2 am which I'm sure none of us would do.
Steve W.

Edelweiss wrote:
When I use my horn:

5. When the ladies on the boat moored in front of you, decide to unfasten their bikini tops to avoid those nasty tan lines*while sunbathing!**
smile.gif
*Actually did this once a long time ago.* Came up to the pilothouse from being back aft, and obseved a bikini clad lady on the foredeck with the bikini top strings unattached.* A quick toot on my very loud horn was very entertaining.

The downside was that it was my older sister, but a guy's got to get it when he can!
<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">eyepopping:</td><td width="40">
eyepopping.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>

weebobby wrote:
As the sun sets in Prideaux haven on a summer's evening, just about all of the 50 or so anchored boats feel obliged to blow their horns at the same time.

Kind of spoils the "wilderness experience' for me
*We were in Prideaux Haven a number of times this summer, but never did experience the "Roche Harbor Horn Blowing" event.* Of course, we were not there when the party-hearty crowd was there either.

This is a practice best left for isolated events and places.

The marina on the San Joaquin delta where we spent August asks you to toot your horn as you enter or exit the fairways.* I believe this is due to the sheds on the covered docks making visibility difficult and plus there are some tight quarters alongside big dollar boats at some of the intersections.**Our normal marina has no visibilty issues and very few people*toot their horn*routinely as they come and go.* there is one guy who likes to lay on the horn when*he wins at Wii bowling.* This normally occurs late at night after he has had a few.* Needless to say he is not a favorite around the marina. *

Again, Monday, someone did a radio check on channel 16.* Fortunately, someone else*answered immediately saying radio checks on that channel*are illegal.* About every day I hear people asking for a radio check on 16.

Me?* I'm "radio shy."* I'll toot for a bridge opening*rather than*calling the bridge tender on the radio or phone.* Tooooooooot, toot.

People ask for radio check on 16 all the time up here. Sometimes the USCG doesn't answer and other times they do and tell the person that radio checks are supposed to be conducted on 83 or whatever the channel is these days. I always find this quite humorous since the Coast Guard, in answering, has performed the radio check being asked for.

Haha! I usually wait for someone to request a radio check, then I respond. They thank me, and I have mine too.

Back
Top Bottom