Bringing the Sea Star home from FL to LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently we did, but it got all wet so we threw it away. You tell the lady at the checkout counter that you are now an “expert” and you get a 10% discount. Lol

Our sponges ate our expert certificate. :facepalm::facepalm:

We are waiting for daylight and we are off for our first gulf crossing. Yes, we are a little nervous.
How far out will I have cell service? Will I have it the whole time or will I lose it?

Where are you going to go in????

We’re not sure yet. Either Carrabelle or Panam City, depending how we feel.
Decided against Apalachicola since we’re planning to run outside tomorrow.

Thanks Dan. :smitten:

Ok...low tide is STUPID low. We bumped bottom getting out of the marina. I hope we didn’t damage anything!

Trip aborted.
Apparently that bump did something. Have a pretty bad vibration.

Anybody know a repair yard in the area?

We found a place.
Sigh.
This is so disappointing.

Damn sorry to hear that. Maybe get a diver to go down first to see what the damage is. They often can fix some things in the water.

See if there is a Pier 88 franchise in that area.

Last edited:
Trip aborted.
Apparently that bump did something. Have a pretty bad vibration.

Vibration is the worse at what RPM.

You have 2 engines and props? Be prepared for a big expense.

Cant make an appraisal w/o lifting the boat.

There is an advantage of being a single shaft trawler with protected running gear.

I bounced the Nordhavn in a well marked spoils area. No damage.

We are at Mar Marine. They’re going to haul it sometime in the next few days.
We will leave it here and come back week after next.
Sigh.
Guy is pretty sure we probably hit a rock.

Sorry to hear about this Star. I can only imagine has disappointing and frustrating this is (well, yeah I can imagine pretty well given my engine experiences last year).

Little consolation, but it will work out and give you a story to tell in the future. Maybe see this as an opportunity to make a list of all the things you want on the boat for the rest of the trip back home and bring them back with you? Also keep in mind the great time you already have had on this adventure!

If the adage is right that everyone hits bottom some time, you could look on the bright side...

--------- You got yours out of the way already!!:dance:

Dang it! Sorry to hear this. If any consolation, 8 years ago I was helping crew a friend's 53 hat bringing it to KW. Just as you, we experienced a very low tide early in the morning going out to Anclote. Bam! Middle of channel, limped into Mar Marina. Tore up a prop. We had a spare and by that afternoon we were on our way. Picked up the refurbished prop on way back to Pensacola. BTW,1st class marina.

We have indeed had a great trip. We’ve decided to hang out here until Saturday since we weren’t planning to get home until Saturday anyway. We’ll also take this opportunity to have a few other things done while it’s sitting here.
These guys here are super nice.

Hoping it’s just a bent prop. We will see. We have a brand new prop in Cape Coral that’s being shipped to us. Of course, this issue is port side. :banghead::facepalm:

Well, the adventure continues....:dance::eek::D

I guess it is only me but I like to enter and leave an unknown harbor at a high tide or at least a a near high tide.

I had an instructor, sail boater, who liked to enter and leave a harbor on falling tide. I'd rather have a rising tide to lift me.

Check the charts and ask for local knowledge.

Last edited:
Give Pittman's Yacht a call and see if they can do a short haul for you. Dave or David (to different guys) will be who you need to talk to.

If you need a diver and a prop fixed quick call Loyd - 727-364-7016 he local and can do a quick turn around on occasion.

Bummer...... Always a silver lining though. The weather might be warmer and glass for your crossing........

Show us pics if possible......

Give Pittman's Yacht a call and see if they can do a short haul for you. Dave or David (to different guys) will be who you need to talk to.

If you need a diver and a prop fixed quick call Loyd - 727-364-7016 he local and can do a quick turn around on occasion.

We are at Mar Marine. Super nice people. We will be leaving it here for the next week to 10 days. We’ll be flying home Saturday afternoon. Hopefully there will be a nice weather window when we’re ready to come back.

Bummer...... Always a silver lining though. The weather might be warmer and glass for your crossing........

Show us pics if possible......

Yes! I’m definitely hoping for warmer weather.

I guess it is only me but I like to enter and leave an unknown harbor at a high tide or at least a a near high tide.

I had an instructor, sail boater, who liked to enter and leave a harbor on falling tide. I'd rather have a rising tide to lift me.

Check the charts and ask for local knowledge.

It wasn’t lack of water...we had enough water under us. It’s whatever was in the water...a rock or something...who knows.

So we are just hanging out enjoying the sunshine. David is cooking steaks and asparagus for dinner. We have to eat some of this food or else throw it away or give it away.

S#@t happens!

I'll be down there on the 27th to get a bottom job done and some polishing and am coming back down on the 31st if you guys happen to be around and need a hand.

Star and Star's guy. It's a bummer, I know. However, seldom do first delivery trips come off without at least one "event". You love the boat, and it has been performing well. Anyone can get caught is an extreme low tide situation. There is usually one neap tide per month. When you couple this with a wind tide it's an easy thing to "find the bottom".

I have sat at the dock in Cedar Key watching the moon ripping the water out of the harbor. It happens.

Here's to a successful and enjoyable continuation of your journey.

late to the posting, but if current yard doesn't work out - I second K9's reference to Pittman in Tarpon springs. Have used them, they do good work.

I think this yard will work fine. I rather like Capraine Gene and his son Shane. Super nice peoples.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom