Bringing the Sea Star home from FL to LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesn’t your boat have an side helm station? If you were inside you would be toasty warm. Staying out in the elements is sailor thinking.

I just really prefer the visibility from the flybridge. But I guess at some point I’m going to have to try the lower helm. Since we have it and all.

Since u mentioned you were in some sloppy weather it might be smart to check the fuel filters since you have some downtime. If you have redundant filter setup I would go ahead and swap to clean one and replace the used one. Don’t forget the genset, although not really needed for the crossing. We did the dog island trip from gulf breeze last spring break. It was a good trip! We actually doglegged to port st Joe on the return. Totally worth it. The forecast looks best for Thursday! Good luck.

Fuel filters checked. All good. Bowls are clean with no water or gunk.

I just really prefer the visibility from the flybridge. But I guess at some point I’m going to have to try the lower helm. Since we have it and all.

Worth giving it a try and I would suggest trying it on this trip. Use the Flybridge for docking etc... but if you are making a run in cold weather, try going inside where it is warm. If you start getting used to using it now that the boat is new to you, it won't feel foreign the next time you go somewhere during cold weather. Just knowing that you can be comfortable on the boat will encourage you to use it more in chilly weather.

I have only been using the lower helm .it's been cold and the winter cover is on the upper helm .but it is very hard to see crab pots , back in to slips, and judge distance on the port side .I haven't got a feel for it yet .my Marinette was hard to see forward the marine trader is hard to see backwards .

Mama's or Dimitri's for dinner and Hellas for the bakery and a coffee!

We took your advice. We are at Dimitri’s. It’s delicious!
We are going to go to Hella’s on the way back to the boat.

We took your advice. We are at Dimitri’s. It’s delicious!
We are going to go to Hella’s on the way back to the boat.

Try not to go A over T this time!

Try not to go A over T this time!

For those who do not translate well, the A over T, translates to "Ass over Teakettle" which in my mind exceeds any historical meaning.

For those who do not translate well, the A over T, translates to "Ass over Teakettle" which in my mind exceeds any historical meaning.

Actually it means Arse Over Tit.

Much more graphical, and describes exactly what she did! :)

I knew what it meant!

Awesome! A cupcake from Hella's is enough for two!

The saganaki (fried cheese) was to die for. We are going to go have some tomorrow at a different restaurant just to see if it tastes the same. I could have eaten just that and a small salad as a meal.

David got SIX pieces of baclava and 2 pieces of cheesecake. I was so stuffed from dinner, I couldn’t even think about having any dessert. We have a bunch of leftovers from dinner too. But you said cupcake. Now I want cupcake. Lol

Pictures of the flaming Saganaki.soo yummy.

Attachments

• 0F882F61-6531-4761-961F-8D1BBE5372EB.jpg
    0F882F61-6531-4761-961F-8D1BBE5372EB.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DC2FDDEB-F3C2-4373-82D4-71CFF271442B.jpg
    DC2FDDEB-F3C2-4373-82D4-71CFF271442B.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 66
A little story about Dimitri's.

A few years ago I was headed north and called to see if they could handle my Aft Cabin at the sea wall for lunch. They said they could so I headed up river.

When I got there the sponge boats were crowding part of the sea wall so I tied up next to the open lot which had parking for a different restaurant. A parking lot attendant came up and told me that it was going to be $50 for me to tie up unless I went to the other restaurant. Upon hearing this "George the Greek" as he called himself, from Dimitri's started to raise hell with the attendant.

After a few minutes a lady shows up who was evidently the owner/manager of the other place. "George the Greek" and this lady started to argue. I told George that I would just come back another time and he refused to let me leave! He said I came there to eat and he was going to make sure that I did.

He yelled to a waiter to come to the sea wall and told the waiter to make two chicken sandwiches for "his nephew."

There was a bunch more yelling in Greek between the lady and George but George wouldn't let me leave until he gave me the sandwiches (at no charge.)

For that, I came back a few weeks later with 12 people.

A few years ago I was headed north and called to see if they could handle my Aft Cabin at the sea wall for lunch. They said they could so I headed up river.

When I got there the sponge boats were crowding part of the sea wall so I tied up next to the open lot which had parking for a different restaurant. A parking lot attendant came up and told me that it was going to be $50 for me to tie up unless I went to the other restaurant. Upon hearing this "George the Greek" as he called himself, from Dimitri's started to raise hell with the attendant.

After a few minutes a lady shows up who was evidently the owner/manager of the other place. "George the Greek" and this lady started to argue. I told George that I would just come back another time and he refused to let me leave! He said I came there to eat and he was going to make sure that I did.

He yelled to a waiter to come to the sea wall and told the waiter to make two chicken sandwiches for "his nephew."

There was a bunch more yelling in Greek between the lady and George but George wouldn't let me leave until he gave me the sandwiches (at no charge.)

Great story!!!!

It’s cold up here on the Gulf Coast during the night. Just sayin. Should warm up by the time you get here though. No fuel pump here at Long Beach at the moment which is a shame cos it used to be the cheapest on the coast. Next cheapest is Bay St. Louis, next marina down. Gulfport is a little more expensive. It all changes daily so I don’t want to put out pricing.

Looks like my old dock. Jump in the water at the dock end and see if you can find my iPhone please?

Not a chance lol...I’m still trying to warm up. I hate this cold wind.

Love it!!

I cleaned the power cord this morning and then cleaned up and we went walk the town. We were really interested in the history of the sponge diving and the Greek heritage here so we went and watched the free movie at the ”museum”. Of course we had to buy a few sponges. Have to support the local economy right? Bought a few T-shirt’s because you can never have too many T-shirt’s.
We had fried cheese at another place and it wasn’t nearly as good. Had a couple of drinks while listening to the violinist at another place. My Bloody Mary was made with a potato vodka. Quite good.
Now we are back at the boat waiting for our neighbor to get home to invite him to dinner to thank him for helping us dock when we first got here and for letting us share his ladder to get on and off the boat. Today we went to the fuel dock and filled up, pumped out, and filled the fresh water tank. So we are ready to head out first thing in the morning.

We were really interested in the history of the sponge diving and the Greek heritage here so we went and watched the free movie at the ”museum”.

My wife did this last time we were in Tarpon Springs and came back to the boat with a fancy piece of paper stating that she was now a "certified sponge expert". She still has it. Are you all now certified sponge experts? ;)

My wife did this last time we were in Tarpon Springs and came back to the boat with a fancy piece of paper stating that she was now a "certified sponge expert". She still has it. Are you all now certified sponge experts? ;)

Apparently we did, but it got all wet so we threw it away. You tell the lady at the checkout counter that you are now an “expert” and you get a 10% discount. Lol

We met some really wonderful folks here in Tarpon Springs. Bob and Diana on the trawler Morning Star. We came in after the marina had closed so there was no staff here when we finally got in. Bob and Diana knew we were coming from the marina staff so they hung around and watched for us. They helped us tie up and also lent us their ladde so we could get off the boat. Because of the late hour, we came bow in to the floating finger pier which means we couldn’t use our swim platform. I fixed that today after fueling up by backing the boat in but on the night we arrived I was more concerned with just getting tied up before dark. Truly wonderful couple. I hope we see them again at some point in our future travels and trips.

Back
Top Bottom