Bringing the Sea Star home from FL to LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We made it to turtle cove. Had to dock bow in which means I can’t get on and off the boat. Thankfully, the nice people in the Jefferson 42’ next to us have a ladder.
We had a ladder in the engine room on our other boat, didn’t think about one for this one. Hmmm.

It was a cold windy day. I’m glad to be docked now. Going in search of a drink...hopefully that will help us thaw out!

We did have one casualty...I’ll post a pic later....it’s on my phone.
Oh, and I almost ran us aground. I’ll type that story later when I can feel my fingers again. Lol

Sarasota bay was choppy, Tampa bay was nasty, and whatever that is just before you come into the anclote river was pretty yuck. We were rocking and rolling. But we, and the boat, are all in one piece. Well, except for the one casualty. It’s in a lot of pieces. Lol
No way I could ever live up north!!

People who own Jeffersons are some of the nicest people:angel:
36 degrees here this morning and the winds yesterday were blowing hard.
Hope this is the last cold front. Looking forward to the Lake maybe this weekend.. Be Safe

There seems to be a positive correlation between boat ownership and knee replacement surgery. Don't ask me how I know.:eek:

"Boat ownership," or alcoholic intake as a result of boat ownership? :D

Aye yi yi.
So we were walking back to the boat from the restaurant and i was hurrying because the wind is blowing so hard and it’s so cold. Just as I was about to step onto the ramp to go down to the dock I tripped.

I'm sorry you suffered the fall and I hope there is no permanent damage. See what happens when you get off the boat?

One question, what type of shoes were you wearing?
Remember to 'pick up your feet.

I'm sorry you suffered the fall and I hope there is no permanent damage. See what happens when you get off the boat?

One question, what type of shoes were you wearing?
Remember to 'pick up your feet.

Flip flops....yeah yeah I know.

Flip flops....yeah yeah I know.

Time to toss your flip flops away. BOAT SHOES You may have had the most beautiful toes in the world but now, you have a broken toe. SMIRK
No more foot modeling for you young lady.

Last edited:
This is what I fell face first down!:eek::banghead::facepalm:

Attachments

• C35C7D19-603F-4CF6-A295-72FB92111B8D.jpg
    C35C7D19-603F-4CF6-A295-72FB92111B8D.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 63
Time to toss your flip flops away. BOAT SHOES You may have had the most beautiful toes in the world but now, you have a broken toe. SMIRK
No more foot modeling for you young lady.

Yes this big bandage is totally throwing off my cute pedicure. :nonono:

Let’s just say there are a few items we forgot to pack. :facepalm:

Were you wearing glasses? Progressive Lens by any chance?

Had 2 bad falls which I believe were directly attributable to Progressive Lens and not being aware of stuff like that..

You could have hit your head and been laid up for the rest of your life.
Poor hubby would have to either cruise by himself or find another young lady to assist on the boat. :whistling:

Be selfish, toss those flip flops.
If I were your husband, your flip flops would mysteriously disappear.

Had 2 bad falls which I believe were directly attributable to Progressive Lens and not being aware of stuff like that..
I was actually and yes they are progressive lenses.
There was a little raised edge to the cement that I didn’t see and hit it at just the right spot.

I was actually and yes they are progressive lenses.
There was a little raised edge to the cement that I didn’t see and hit it at just the right spot.

I wear trifocals with the lines.

Vanity, thy name is 'progressive lenses'

Ahhh, the lovely low tide ramps of Turtle Cove. Add that to the floating docks and it's a great ride.

I slipped down the same dock last summer and my foot hit the cleat on the dock and I wound up in the water. Flip flops or boat shoes would not have made a difference - I was barefooted!

We did have a beautiful sunset coming in last night.

Attachments

• 354252DD-5415-4778-AA24-5AD639FFF87F.jpg
    354252DD-5415-4778-AA24-5AD639FFF87F.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 55

One hand with a tight grip on the rail

Based upon your propensity to fall, how did you live this long. LOL

Side note: Yesterday, over 50 messages here and about 30 pieces of SPAM. If I could remember 1/2 of what I have learned here, I would be happy.
Those "ladies", advertising in the SPAM, will just have to wait longer. LOL

Last edited:
People who own Jeffersons are some of the nicest people:angel:
36 degrees here this morning and the winds yesterday were blowing hard.
Hope this is the last cold front. Looking forward to the Lake maybe this weekend.. Be Safe

They really are very nice. Thank goodness they were here and helped us with lines because the way this is set up it was just about impossible for me to do. I couldn’t get off the boat

She even offered to drive us to the store or wherever today. I think they’re liveaboards. They have a vehicle here.
I sure hope it’s warmer by the time we get home. This cold is for the birds! It’s almost that cold here this morning. At least the wind has died down considerably.

One hand with a tight grip on the rail

Based upon your propensity to fall, how did you live this long. LOL

Side note: Yesterday, over 50 messages here and about 30 pieces of SPAM. If I could remember 1/2 of what I have learned here, I would be happy.
Those "ladies", advertising in the SPAM, will just have to wait longer. LOL

I would have held on to the ramp had I got that far. I fell before I could even reach it.

Those “ladies” are just there to tease ya!

I would have held on to the ramp had I got that far. I fell before I could even reach it.

Those “ladies” are just there to tease ya!

Yea I know..... "Buy me Honda, I love you long time."

Here’s pics of the casualty from yesterday. It’s still there cause I don’t have a way to clean it up currently. Thankfully that’s the guest head.
The port light up above has a small leak that’s apparently been leaking for a loooong time. The bottom of the cabinet door beneath it and just to the left of where this piece was is rotted. We knew about this and plan to have all of the portlights re-seated and sealed when we get home. The piece that fell had come off during the survey but the seller said he had it fixed. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 7D46C422-4C33-4304-8B0B-9E66ECC28626.jpg
    7D46C422-4C33-4304-8B0B-9E66ECC28626.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 0B96B839-C5F0-46CF-B868-BD92C88064C0.jpg
    0B96B839-C5F0-46CF-B868-BD92C88064C0.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 74
Here’s pics of the casualty from yesterday. It’s still there cause I don’t have a way to clean it up currently. Thankfully that’s the guest head.
The port light up above has a small leak that’s apparently been leaking for a loooong time. The bottom of the cabinet door beneath it and just to the left of where this piece was is rotted. We knew about this and plan to have all of the portlights re-seated and sealed when we get home. The piece that fell had come off during the survey but the seller said he had it fixed. :rolleyes:

Of course he told you he fixed it. He did not say, he fixed properly.

You are engaged in a shake down cruise... That's what it is is all about it.

Of course he told you he fixed it. He did not say, he fixed properly.

You are engaged in a shake down cruise... That's what it is is all about it.

Yep, if that’s the worst that happens, I’ll be happy.

I did find the source of the other leak yesterday. It’s the middle windshield. David is going to examine it today. It’s not a bad leak so it can wait until we can get home.

So what’s your transit plan today/next eta port?

So what’s your transit plan today/next eta port?

We are going to hang out here until we have a weather window to cross the gulf. That’s looking right now to be Thursday. Depending on how we feel, we will either go to apalachicola or on to Panama City.

We are going to hang out here until we have a weather window to cross the gulf. That’s looking right now to be Thursday. Depending on how we feel, we will either go to apalachicola or on to Panama City.

Ya gonna have perfect weather and sea conditions starting at 8:00am Thursday all the way through to Panama City. After Panama I would still run outside taking advantage of calm seas (less than 2ft!). Come in at Gulfport, fuel up, then make your last run inside to the rigolettes. Rain (30%) becomes an issue Friday into Saturday afternoon. Gonna get up into the 80s this weekend! Winds Friday and Sat in the Sound and lake shows 10-15kts; very doable in your big boat! Have fun!

Since u mentioned you were in some sloppy weather it might be smart to check the fuel filters since you have some downtime. If you have redundant filter setup I would go ahead and swap to clean one and replace the used one. Don’t forget the genset, although not really needed for the crossing. We did the dog island trip from gulf breeze last spring break. It was a good trip! We actually doglegged to port st Joe on the return. Totally worth it. The forecast looks best for Thursday! Good luck.

Well you got to practice with your first aid kit.

A broken mirror.....mmmmmmm Oh I'm not superstitious...

We all have had falls and scrapes. How many of us Taiwanese tubs have bounced down the steps to the salon or the galley...

I definitely need one of those head cover things. I actually have one at home somewhere. I only brought a ball cap with me on this trip. I would have lost it today for sure. I’m going to go to Walmart and buy me a thick throw blanket I can wrap up in up on the flybridge. It didn’t help that spray was coming up and wetting us. Lol

We are at Rust Bellies restaurant. It was the closest thing we found with signs of life. We got here just in time to be seated before they closed. The walk here was sooooo cold.

Doesn’t your boat have an side helm station? If you were inside you would be toasty warm. Staying out in the elements is sailor thinking.

Nah... I just tell my patients they are clumsy. If sailors can wear progressives while on the foredeck, a powerboater should be able to wear progressives while walking. ;-)

Well you got to practice with your first aid kit.

A broken mirror.....mmmmmmm Oh I'm not superstitious...

We all have had falls and scrapes. How many of us Taiwanese tubs have bounced down the steps to the salon or the galley...

I think my first broken bone will be in the galley floor at 3am . I need to get the aft head working!!!

Since u mentioned you were in some sloppy weather it might be smart to check the fuel filters since you have some downtime. If you have redundant filter setup I would go ahead and swap to clean one and replace the used one.

That is a good suggestion unless they have some good information on the condition of the fuel tanks. With a dual filter setup, it would be a matter of 5 minutes to change the old filter. Of course that doesn’t count the 40 minutes trying to find the replacement filter in the spares on a boat that is new to them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom