View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
DHeckrotte
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Corian's a perfectly good choice. Lots of similar choices so personal taste is the determinant. Under-counter is my preference for sinks; you can have your sink made in Corian and have it integral with the countertop. Interestingly our '84 FuHwa has plastic laminate (a Formica generic term) with an undermounted stainless steel sink for which I made a teak insert. None of the plastics are proof against heat.

I've designed kitchens since the early '80s and I'm pretty much over using Corian or other plastics for countertops. And the same for real granite. Marble would not be stain resistant. I mention real stone because you can get thin stone bonded to a honeycomb core for weight saving.

My wife's and my taste have gone to wood for all countertops in our home and one in our sailboat. All but the kitchen tops are epoxy-coated and urethaned. The kitchen tops are oiled but tend to be a little 'rustic' which we like until they're too rustic; then I scrape and recoat.

Pics: Heart Pine countertops and back splash; sink has a Teak drainboard within the Heart Pine top. Sink countertop with drainboards. The stainless steel rods lie in grooves; provides drainage and protection against hot pots.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-03-11 Kitchen Countertops 002.jpg   2018-03-11 Kitchen Countertops 003.jpg   2018-03-11 Kitchen Countertops 004.jpg  
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote