psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
RE: How do you start you boat?

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Lots of the potential trouble from coolant disappearing can be avoided w a Murphy switch. Mine is on the side of the exhaust manifold and if the coolant level gets low (before it's low enough to cause the temperature of the system to rise) a buzzer goes off. It's plumbed w pipe fittings and hoses to the exhaust manifold. But I think it could just as well be mounted to a nearby bulkhead or whatever. An excellent safety device. In the picture the Murphy switch is the red/orange and white thing on the side of the manifold. A piece of bar steel was welded to the exhaust manifold that had drilled and tapped (threaded) holes w the right spacing for the Murphy's mounting hole spacing. There is a clear glass/plastic "window" on the side of the Murphy so one can check the coolant level when the engine is hot or even running * ...if you can see it. I need a mirror for mine. I like to check my oil and coolant like Peter ..when cold. The oil level is only correct at that time and it's real easy to pop off the coolant cap and look at the coolant inside the manifold.
*The liquid level switch is pretty cool...have'm on one of our salvage vessels.

The main reason I like an initial check of stuff at the end of the day is it gives me all night to correct or arrange for help in the early AM.* The needs of a delivery captain.

but I still check in the morning when everything is more steady state.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote