Bringing the Sea Star home from FL to LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: One of our favorite marinas. Lot's of great restaurants and we have friends there who know them all. :)
Ours, too. Marina Jacks is a pretty darn nice Marina. Lots to do within walking distance as well.

Problem is...we have to be home no later than Saturday.

I can’t figure out windfinder. Are you seeing wave data or just wind?

Click on to www.windfinder.com , scroll to west FL. Zoom in until weather stations start showing up. You have several offshore buoys along your route such as SW Tampa bay buoy, W. FL Central buoy and the Tyndall AFB tower. I find the wind and direction very accurate but the wave height is usually I little short. Good luck!

Greetings,
Re: post #59. "...we have to be home no later than Saturday." Fair enough BUT your boat doesn't. Schedules have caused more catastrophes than almost anything else. IF you don't get a window you're comfortable with, leave the boat and return at a later date. PLEASE!

Greetings,
Re: post #59. "...we have to be home no later than Saturday." Fair enough BUT your boat doesn't. Schedules have caused more catastrophes than almost anything else. IF you don't get a window you're comfortable with, leave the boat and return at a later date. PLEASE!

Oh definitely....safety first. David is super cautious by nature...but especially with a new to us boat that we’re not all that familiar with yet. We are certain we can at least get to Orange Beach. We apparently have to send Florida some proof that we’ve taken the boat out of Florida. We had to sign an affidavit saying that we would get it out of the state in so many days to avoid paying Florida sales tax.

Right now we are having dinner and drinks at Doc Ford’s.

OH...and we have a leak!! :eek::facepalm::rofl:
It’s the weirdest thing. It’s coming UP from a screw in the window frame. We haven’t yet figured out how the window frame filled up with water. Course nobody (the seller) had any idea of said leak. Also the pilothiuse door has a small leak as well. It just needs to be re-sealed.

Oh definitely....safety first. David is super cautious by nature...but especially with a new to us boat that we’re not all that familiar with yet. We are certain we can at least get to Orange Beach. We apparently have to send Florida some proof that we’ve taken the boat out of Florida. We had to sign an affidavit saying that we would get it out of the state in so many days to avoid paying Florida sales tax.

Right now we are having dinner and drinks at Doc Ford’s.

OH...and we have a leak!! :eek::facepalm::rofl:
It’s the weirdest thing. It’s coming UP from a screw in the window frame. We haven’t yet figured out how the window frame filled up with water. Course nobody (the seller) had any idea of said leak. Also the pilothiuse door has a small leak as well. It just needs to be re-sealed.

Duct tape.
Or you can use a wax toilet bowl seal forced into the suspected area, to fix it until you get home.

There is a dishwasher in the galley. That space could have been used for two drawers or a cabinet...that would have been much more useful. Heck we mostly eat on paper plates. I’ll likely very rarely use the dishwasher.

So therefore I had to store surplus stuff down in the little berth.

I think you will find that in the long run it is easier and cheaper to just wash dishes rather than use the paper plates. Many places we go in the PNW there is no garbage service, or it is very expensive. I’ll bet there are more big boats around here with trash compacters rather than dishwashers.

Good luck with the weather. Since I really screwed up on weather decisions a few weeks ago, I’d go for the more cautious approach. Even more so in a boat that is new to you.

Speaking of weather, very odd here. Mid 50s and sunny. Girls are running around in tank top and shorts and I’m sitting in the cockpit sipping on a Rum and Coke. Lovely. Of course it will get cold once the sun goes down.

Last edited:
Speaking of weather, very odd here. Mid 50s and sunny. Girls are running around in tank top and shorts and I’m sitting in the cockpit sipping on a Rum and Coke. Lovely. Of course it will get cold once the sun goes down.

Keep an eye on the "girls" and you will know when it is "too cold"

I think you will find that in the long run it is easier and cheaper to just wash dishes rather than use the paper plates. Many places we go in the PNW there is no garbage service, or it is very expensive. I’ll bet there are more big boats around here with trash compacters rather than dishwashers.

Good luck with the weather. Since I really screwed up on weather decisions a few weeks ago, I’d go for the more cautious approach. Even more so in a boat that is new to you.

If it’s in the 50’s, I’m wearing a coat. That’s cold to me. Lol
I guess the high today was low 70’s before the rain came in and then dropped to upper 60’s. I was flabbergasted at how many people were swimming in the pool. I’m wearing a sweatshirt and long pants!

I guess I never thought about paying for trash disposal. Interesting.

I guess I never thought about paying for trash disposal. Interesting.

Depends on the type of boating you do. If we stay in Puget Sound, most marinas have free garbage with moorage. However, the state parks don’t. Once you get up past Port Townsend, free garbage is harder to come by. Then as you get further North into BC, finding a place to dispose of trash can be really hard. Amazing how much trash you can accumulate over the space of a week or two.

You mentioned you are storing the trash in one of the staterooms.
I would discourage you from doing that. Get a trash can, put it in the cockpit.
Store it inside and you might develop a family of bugs.

Depends on the type of boating you do. If we stay in Puget Sound, most marinas have free garbage with moorage. However, the state parks don’t. Once you get up past Port Townsend, free garbage is harder to come by. Then as you get further North into BC, finding a place to dispose of trash can be really hard. Amazing how much trash you can accumulate over the space of a week or two.

Oh I know. When we anchored out for just 4 nights for the wooden boat fest, we just piled our trash up on the bow. We probably had 5 or 6 bags. It was facing the trees on the shore, so it wasn’t real visible, but we had to travel back to the marina like that.

You mentioned you are storing the trash in one of the staterooms.
I would discourage you from doing that. Get a trash can, put it in the cockpit.
Store it inside and you might develop a family of bugs.

Oh no...not trash in the little stateroom. I was talking about surplus galley stuff like extra cases of water, extra food stuff, extra paper towels, etc.

Oh no...not trash in the little stateroom. I was talking about surplus galley stuff like extra cases of water, extra food stuff, extra paper towels, etc.

Ah okay, that's better. SMILE

Click on to www.windfinder.com , scroll to west FL. Zoom in until weather stations start showing up. You have several offshore buoys along your route such as SW Tampa bay buoy, W. FL Central buoy and the Tyndall AFB tower. I find the wind and direction very accurate but the wave height is usually I little short. Good luck!

I see the little dots for the weather stations but when I click on them nothing happens. Maybe it doesn’t work on my iPad?

We are right across the ICW from you at Bird Key YC waiting on weather to go to St. Pete and Clearwater.

Be very careful with the crossing to the Panhandle. It is always rough about halfway across.

Take a deep breath and wait for it to be a good trip.

I see the little dots for the weather stations but when I click on them nothing happens. Maybe it doesn’t work on my iPad?

Well David can click on them on his iPad. Hmph.
He does have a newer one than me.

Well David can click on them on his iPad. Hmph.
He does have a newer one than me.

There is an app names Buoyweather for the iPhone. Might want to look into it. I have not used it recently so I dont know if use an auto locator on the boat. It use to require you to know the buoy number. As I recall, it gives wave height and temp. Also the app that utilizes the data from National Data Buoy Center. I think it is titled BuoyData. There are more and some have a RADAR loop. Check out MyRadar Pro and of course TideApp.
Sometimes one needs to use a couple apps to draw the necessary conclusion when it comes to the weather.
There is also a recording barometer app you might consider. I guess it is called Barometer. The disadvantage, it doesnt have an auto update feature. You must update it at least once a day to establish the trend.

There is an app names Buoyweather for the iPhone. Might want to look into it. I have not used it recently so I dont know if use an auto locator on the boat. It use to require you to know the buoy number. As I recall, it gives wave height and temp. Also the app that utilizes the data from National Data Buoy Center. I think it is titled BuoyData. There are more and some have a RADAR loop. Check out MyRadar Pro and of course TideApp.
Sometimes one needs to use a couple apps to draw the necessary conclusion when it comes to the weather.
There is also a recording barometer app you might consider. I guess it is called Barometer. The disadvantage, it doesnt have an auto update feature. You must update it at least once a day to establish the trend.

Thanks Dan. We have a buoy data app. Or at least David does. I’ll chdck out those others you named. We each have a folder on our devices for weather apps and sites.

We are drinking coffee and checking weather sites waiting for the fuel dock to open so we can fill up and be on our way.
Wish us luck for a successful day of traveling!

We are in the gulf. Cruising at 24 knots. Seas are calm.
The view....lol

Attachments

• 72F25422-7FC1-447C-B5D7-EEF9950015DA.jpg
    72F25422-7FC1-447C-B5D7-EEF9950015DA.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 75
When you get home try Hamilition Marine (no affiliation) for traveling dock lines. Their Yale 8 plait, either 1/2” or 5/8”. The 600’ reel is about 1/2 theprice of West by the foot. Get the $20 rope cutter too. Has turned out to be handy.

Soft, no memory but a real hard core bitch to splice to the point I just whipped with heat shrink and melt and use bowlines for loops. Really Kindda better cause loop size is adjustable for each docking situtation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great. Are you going to stop in Clearwater or run all the way to appalachicola?

Great. Are you going to stop in Clearwater or run all the way to appalachicola?

We are going to Sarasota for tonight and then on to Clearwater tomorrow and wait for a weather window to cross.

Safe and pleasant voyage.

Folks, remember if you need a 75 ft line, add in enough for the loop or you will be 5 or 6 ft too short.

We’ll head to Clearwater on Monday and figure out when we can cross. All these different weather and wave forecast sites say something different. How do you know which is accurate? :confused:

Boy, does that sound so familiar! Been there, done that!

Following along also.

Cheers

Yes it does!! Hey Crusty do you think they should check Environment Canada?? I bet they do forecasts for southern Florida....LOL Remember its all in meters....:D:eek:

Last edited:
OK guys. 3 pages and only one picture??? Come on we want to see more....please

Looks like you will be stuck in Clearwater for a good part of the week. Cold front coming through now up in the panhandle. When we make that crossing I check the weather constantly because any forecast beyond a couple of days often changes.

OK guys. 3 pages and only one picture??? Come on we want to see more....please

Lol there’s plenty more. But I have to go through each one and rotate them so they won’t post sideways.
We made it to marina jacks. Fun day.
Now going in search of a hose so we can give her a bath.

Looks like you will be stuck in Clearwater for a good part of the week. Cold front coming through now up in the panhandle. When we make that crossing I check the weather constantly because any forecast beyond a couple of days often changes.

Sounds like they are having a great trip so far. Hopefully weather won’t cross them up. Nothing wrong with leaving the boat if you don’t have the weather window and coming back to move it the rest of the way home.

I don’t know how to interpret forecasts. I’m usually wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom