Buying Albin 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper57

Newbie. Lifelong boater but never more than a 23' center console. Looking for a Trawler to do Great Loop. How much trouble can I get in with a 1984 Albin 36 with 1200 hours on Lehman 6, for $40k ? Will Survey of course. Original owner used as condo... not much underway. Core construction above water line, Boat is in NC. Teak decks all grey. Original Teak windows ( Leaking? ), All bright work needs refinish, No Thrusters. Alternator needs replace, original fuel tanks ( not black iron). Pictures look pretty clean. Three owners. Marginal glass and elec skills. I enjoy some work but don't want to take on total rebuild. Looking at boat Saturday. Comments so much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks. Unless obvious with a tap test or mangled thru hulls I wont have comfort on that until Survey. Owner says no but....

Ablin 36 not core below water line

Just read this on the BoatUS review. Apparantly core only used on top.

The hull of the Albin 36 is a solid fiberglass laminate built in a method typical of similar Far Eastern-built boats of similar style. The fiberglass lay-up of the hull is substantial and is generally well supported by fiberglass-encased stringers, frames and plywood bulkheads securely tabbed to the hull. Construction of the decks, cabin house and flybridge utilize cored fiberglass composites in a number of areas and, on most Albin 36 models,

40K way high unless one of the best on the market.

They were that 7 years ago when I bought my 40.

not cored unless a one off, but doesnt mean the hull couldnt be in really bad shape. Mine was saturated and delaminating...surveyor kinda glossed over it.

I have been restoring mine, living aboard and cruising for 6 years. Definitely a project boat in my case but it was a special story.

If decks in bad shape, windows leaking, and lived in warm water its whole life...Unless you like working on boats over using them.... fine tooth comb it and then some.

My bet you can get it down to $25k after a really thorough survey.

Last edited:
Here is the Albin 36 schematic. You can see it has a solid hull.
It may help you during the survey.

Attachments

• Albin36Schematics.pdf
    531 KB · Views: 728
I ripped up the deck and glassed to prevent further water intrusion and all the interior teak fell off after the first freeze.

I ripped up the deck and glassed to prevent further water intrusion and all the interior teak fell off after the first freeze.

Project pics by any chance ??? Did you have to recore under all the teak deck and interior ?

Time and cost estimates ?

I have a 1983 36 albin with 6000 hrs and still running great .. check the aft cabin windows as they do tend to leak . I just replaced to port aft window . Great boat !!!
Oriental NC

Last edited:
Project pics by any chance ??? Did you have to recore under all the teak deck and interior ?

Time and cost estimates ?

Will try and find the pics over the next couple days...

Probably 2 weeks of partial days. on the flybridge I also cut the seats out as the spelled trouble and were only good for storage....not comfy.

The glass and epoxy for the bridge and decks wasnt much, say $300.... depending on paint, another $200.

Estimates from yards I didnt bother with, but others have paid I think $15,000 to $20,000 if memory serves correct.

Those figures could be cut quite a bit depending on your involvement and/or getting unskilled labor to remove the teak and clean/prep for the glasswork.

Last edited:
Psneeld Hopefully you will post those pics on this discussion.. thanks in advance

Good luck Thumper...you’re embarking on a wonderful adventure.
If this isn’t the right boat, keep looking until you find the one that is.

Here's deck pics.....

Attachments

• Photo361 - Copy.jpg
    Photo361 - Copy.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,516
  • Photo307.jpg
    Photo307.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Photo297.jpg
    Photo297.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Photo296.jpg
    Photo296.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Photo156.jpg
    Photo156.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 89
  • deck grey.jpg
    deck grey.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 101
black iron is really a steel ...a magnet tells the diffetence from aluminum.

Sorry to sound like Debbie Downer, but based on pics, I think you'd be better off spending your 40K elsewhere. Looks like some serious water intrusion throughout cabin.

$10000 to $20000 boat unless fuel tanks to engine are great.....

then just barely on the high side....

and only if you have thousands of hours to spwnd rehabbing her only to still have a throwaway boat in 10 to 15 years.....

Sorry to sound like Debbie Downer, but based on pics, I think you'd be better off spending your 40K elsewhere. Looks like some serious water intrusion throughout cabin.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: From the pics, it looks really bad. Not sure I would believe the 1200 hours on the Lehmans. As far as 30+ year old Taiwanese boats, the electrical wiring didn't look so bad.

You all have been very helpful. The more You tube videos I looked at and replies I got on post and pics the more I got smartter... I'll pass on that one. Plus I just booked my wife and I in Trawler school with swflorida sail school.
Florida Sailing and Cruising School.

:dance:

Looks like it's in a bit better shape than the 32 Eagle we bought for $20k, FWIW.

I hope you have a lot of free time--- Been working on my project boat full time. It will be one year in June. Started in better shape than the Albin and will probably just about be done with the basics by than. No leaks, no rot, good bottom, electric, plumbing and engines.

Whew! I am exhausted!

I got my marine trader a lot cheaper than 40 (half)and I appears in a lot better shape especially the interior and engine room .but it has blisters ,wet aft cabin core and needs at least one tank replaced so . maybe that one is better ? but it may need the same things too.

is it just me but it seems the asking price for albins and mainships is higher but they seem to have all the same problems as marine traders.

I hope you have a lot of free time--- Been working on my project boat full time. It will be one year in June. Started in better shape than the Albin and will probably just about be done with the basics by than. No leaks, no rot, good bottom, electric, plumbing and engines.

Whew! I am exhausted!

Have you put up project pics ?

That looks like a lot of work. It depends you. Offer way less than they’re asking.

Greetings,
Mr. T. Just looked at the pictures...OH MY! As others have said, that boat is in NO way worth anything close to $40K. Pretty well EVERY picture shows absolutely NO evidence of ANY maintenance.

200w.gif

IF you do buy it, make a free 10 year supply of the drugs the seller is on a condition of the sale...$40K?

Have you put up project pics ?

Nope, I have been working at such a snails pace- nothing seemed that dramatic- now that its almost over-(boats are never done) my progress is substantial. Sorry guys have not got around to posting pics.

I refit a Hershine 37, a cousin of Albin 36. Mine was in better shape to start, paid way less. all older Albins had mild steel, or black iron fuel tanks. Most were painted then covered in plywood and sound tiles. Hard to get a good look. I have project pics on the boat in the link below. You can then see what is behind the delamination around the windows.

Back
Top Bottom