Woohoo...we are closing on boat tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2004 Cruisers yachts sedan sport 5000. 50ft planing hull style.

Congrats and get back home safely.. Lot's of good times on the Lake this summer....Look forward to enjoying a Saturday with y'all

If I read the bridge information right, I think there are only two we would have to call to open. The other look to be at least 23ft clearance or more and we are supposed to be 16.5ft but I’m not sure if that includes the satellite dome or only to the radar arch top. Gonna have to measure that.

I did the trip from Tarpon Springs to Fort Myers in November. With a 15' air draft, my recollection is 3 or 4 bridges going the GICW the whole way. There are a couple of small town bridges that are easy to miss on a chart. All were on demand with my air draft.

Ted

McGillicuddy...you’re speaking his language. I better try to keep him away from that bakery. He has zero will power.

I did the trip from Tarpon Springs to Fort Myers in November. With a 15' air draft, my recollection is 3 or 4 bridges going the GICW the whole way. There are a couple of small town bridges that are easy to miss on a chart. All were on demand with my air draft.

Ted

How long did the trip take you? Did you do it one day?

We have done this trip several times. On the last, the weather forced us to do Tarpon springs - Steinhatchee - Dog Island. Easy days trips, with the waves on the nose, instead of overnight (at our speed) and beam seas.

Try make Sea Hag Marina during high tide. At 3 1/2 ft draft we had no issues. You have to use the fuel dock so call ahead.

Attachments

• IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 94
Slow Hand cruises at 7 knots. I did one day from Tarpon Springs to Long boat Key. 2/3 of a day to Cayo Costa state park. Half a day to Fort Myers. There are some sections where you can go fast. There's less than half where it's displacement speed. I'm guessing that you would do it in a day and a little.

Cape Haze marina in Englewood is a good fuel stop (Currently $2.68). It's just off the GICW and a little tricky getting in, but a good fuel stop with a helpful crew.

Ted

Last edited:

Wifey B: I still don't understand why Tarpon Springs. Why not just Clearwater. Makes your trip shorter getting there and your crossing from there shorter plus easier in and out. :confused:

Wifey B: And your 16'5" is without the electronics on top I'm betting, so add some more to it. :)

I know the ad says bridge clearance of 16'5" but sure seems too low to me. Measure before you end up topless.

Last edited:
Wifey B: I still don't understand why Tarpon Springs. Why not just Clearwater. Makes your trip shorter getting there and your crossing from there shorter plus easier in and out. :confused:

It all depends on where your going. With a narrow weather window, I would be heading toward Carrabelle (150 miles) or Panama city (200 miles). Both are shorter from Tarpon Springs than Clearwater.

Ted

I can spend a week eating my way through Tarpon! Not much to note in Clearwater. Wifey B, Look where the Stars are from! As you well know food takes priority over just about anything from our area! Totally understand.:D

Yes, I suppose you’ll be zooming by here (Sarasota) on plane if you want to make Tarpon Springs, but it took us about 8 hrs. from Cape Coral to Sarasota with our slow trawler on the ICW. Lots of bridges to stop high boats, you know. Best of luck outside....could be chalenging and costly on plane.

We are going to revise our plan and look to leave from Clearwater.

It all depends on where your going. With a narrow weather window, I would be heading toward Carrabelle (150 miles) or Panama city (200 miles). Both are shorter from Tarpon Springs than Clearwater.

Ted

Wifey B: Very little difference on a crossing from my memory although in the office playing businesswoman so no charting here. Big difference from Cape Coral to Tarpon vs. Clearwater and that's the day that had them worried. I think the difference from Clearwater to Carabelle vs Tarpon to Carabelle is like 3 nm. or something. Clearwater to Tarpon you're just not getting much closer. Feel free to double check me but we have checked when planning those trips. Meanwhile guess I'll get back to checking some business emails for Carm and Jenn while they're playing around in Spain for two weeks. :dance::dance::dance:

McGillicuddy...you’re speaking his language. I better try to keep him away from that bakery. He has zero will power.

Sorry we missed you at Steve’s get together. We had Chantilly Berry Cake. Sex on a small plate. [emoji12]

Congrats on the new boat!!
That cake was excellent! The favorite treat from Hella's Bakery was a topic of discussion Saturday, my vote is the Coconut Macaroons!!
Regardless of the route don't think twice about waiting for good weather remember:
It is better to be at the dock wishing to be out on the water, than to be out on the water wishing to be at the dock!

Here is a weather guide you might want to look at
Tampa Bay Surf Report (STORMSURF)
Below the opening chart in the" MWX PRO control panel" click on the "Gulf of Mexico Sea Height" icon (the first one).
A map of the Gulf will open with sea conditions scrolling across. If you click on the chart you will be able to pause or go fwd or reverse.
Good luck and good weather!

Wifey B: Very little difference on a crossing from my memory although in the office playing businesswoman so no charting here. Big difference from Cape Coral to Tarpon vs. Clearwater and that's the day that had them worried. I think the difference from Clearwater to Carabelle vs Tarpon to Carabelle is like 3 nm. or something. Clearwater to Tarpon you're just not getting much closer. Feel free to double check me but we have checked when planning those trips. Meanwhile guess I'll get back to checking some business emails for Carm and Jenn while they're playing around in Spain for two weeks. :dance::dance::dance:

Going to Carrabelle from protected water to protected water, Tarpon springs is 132 NM and Clearwater inlet is 144 NM (12 mile difference ).

Going to Panama city, Tarpon Springs is 192 NM and Clearwater inlet is 201 NM (9 mile difference ).

Ted

I agree there isn’t much mileage difference. Originally we used TS to Carrabelle because we just wanted to visit those two places. But after some discussion with a few folks at our marina, feedback here, and looking at weather forecasts, we are going to revise that part to be Clearwater to Apalachicola. We are still at the mercy of the weather though and the Saturday window is small. Plus we may not even be able to be ready for the Saturday window. I will be checking with the mechanics tomorrow early but as of the afternoon report there are still one or two parts that haven’t been fixed/serviced yet. So I’m giving us a 50/50 shot at the Saturday weather window. If we miss it, we will hang out in the Clearwater area and wait for the next opening.

I agree there isn’t much mileage difference. Originally we used TS to Carrabelle because we just wanted to visit those two places. But after some discussion with a few folks at our marina, feedback here, and looking at weather forecasts, we are going to revise that part to be Clearwater to Apalachicola. We are still at the mercy of the weather though and the Saturday window is small. Plus we may not even be able to be ready for the Saturday window. I will be checking with the mechanics tomorrow early but as of the afternoon report there are still one or two parts that haven’t been fixed/serviced yet. So I’m giving us a 50/50 shot at the Saturday weather window. If we miss it, we will hang out in the Clearwater area and wait for the next opening.

Wifey B: Saturday looks good so far. Plus you must know by now how I love Apalachicola. :D I'm resisting launching into song so far.

Wifey B: funny you should say that. I was berthed at the Apalachicola public dock late last spring, the only boat there. Late in the day, some workers came and set up tables and shade tents all around my boat. At about 6 pm a group of about 50 folks showed up and food, beer and wine were in the tents. Turns out a southern artist group were having a small convention on my front lawn. A guy set up his guitar and small amplifier at the bow of the boat and started singing. I got my iPhone out to start to video this and before you know it and before you know it, people were calling to me to come join them.
Raw oyster, shrimp fettuccine, and wine, music and great company at the bottom of my gangway. Great memories.
If I could figure a way to post the video from my phone without jumping through hoops, I would.

Sorry we missed you at Steve’s get together. We had Chantilly Berry Cake. Sex on a small plate. [emoji12]

The Chantilly cake was one of the reasons I wanted to go!!
Unfortunately, we had a wedding we had to go to.
We will be there next year!

Wifey B: funny you should say that. I was berthed at the Apalachicola public dock late last spring, the only boat there. Late in the day, some workers came and set up tables and shade tents all around my boat. At about 6 pm a group of about 50 folks showed up and food, beer and wine were in the tents. Turns out a southern artist group were having a small convention on my front lawn. A guy set up his guitar and small amplifier at the bow of the boat and started singing. I got my iPhone out to start to video this and before you know it and before you know it, people were calling to me to come join them.
Raw oyster, shrimp fettuccine, and wine, music and great company at the bottom of my gangway. Great memories.
If I could figure a way to post the video from my phone without jumping through hoops, I would.

Wow...that sounds like a fun surprise and good food!

Ok. Here is a thought. Clearwater to Cat Island Pass is 370 nm. If you can average 15 knots, that’s 24 hours. Leaving Friday evening in 2’ forecast seas the worst you should see is 4’ seas at 5 sec period just prior to arrival at the pass. I have no idea if this is in your comfort zone, it’s just an observation. I would do it on my 50’ boat but some people think I’m nuts.
It would be a night arrival at the Gulfport Ship Channel but it is huge, well lit and not at all busy. I did it single handed last fall then anchored behind the island for a rest before continuing along Mississippi Sound in daylight.
You would be home by Sunday.

Well we are on like Plan D I think now.
The wire transfer didn’t happen until late this afternoon so we couldn’t take possession of the boat and get it moved like we had intended. So we are at a hotel again tonight.
Spent the day shopping and unpacking stuff. Need to get groceries in the morning and bring the rental car back and then we will be on our way.
We are not going to make the Saturday weather window and it’s looking like we won’t get another chance until like Wednesday or Thursday. So we will just take our tine exploring between here and Clearwater along the ICW. Get to know the boat.

Plan D is ok. That course of action will allow you to explore the boat and identify the nuances in a more relaxed state with reduced stress. We all know that when one strives to meet a tight schedule, on the water, with a new vessel, Murphy will rear his ugly head! Take the time and do it right.

Send lots of pics and info - we're watching out for you.

Jim

Did you get my text!!!!!

Can not wait to have a Bloody Mary on the new boat

Last edited:
Did you get my text!!!!!

Can not wait to have a Bloody Mary on the new boat

Yes...we replied.
Are ya’ll going to be in town next weekend? We are planning to be home either Friday or Saturday if all goes according to plan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom